Working with Durga... in a non-Hindu way?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
WildFlower93

Working with Durga... in a non-Hindu way?

Post by WildFlower93 »

So, I have mental disorders, "inner demons" so to speak. I used to be a big fan of Hinduism before I came to Paganism but it's not for me anymore. I don't agree really with the theology. But I can't help when I feel really bad mentally to call on Durga to "slay my demons". And she does, and I don't really know where she fits in with my worldview.

I guess really I would be culturally appropriating to an extent. No other deity does what she does for me, so even though I try to exclude her, in practice it doesn't work like that. She is always here for me. Not in a Patron/Matron way, but in a motherly way. So I asked her if I should properly work with her or not. I heard her reply that if I wanted to she'd like an offering of milk and honey just to say thanks for how she helps me out. So I can get behind that.

I guess you'd ask why don't I just ask the deities what they think? But they don't always reply, or I don't always receive a clear answer. That was the only thing I heard.

So I want to know your opinions... do you think it would be ok to work with Durga outside of the Hindu worldview? Of course I won't disconnect her completely from her origins, but I am not Hindu, and I don't want to conform to a religious belief system that isn't me, but still want it to be ok to honour her?

Thoughts? Thanks
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Working with Durga... in a non-Hindu way?

Post by Firebird »

If she has been working with /for you there is no reason to stop.
In my opinion Hinduism is very close to paganism in its way to revere nature Etc, it's also a open religion so I don't think there would be any problem with you mixing gods and goddesses.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

There is not real "canon" in Hinduism nor Paganism. There is not "wrong" way. I don't think Durga minds if you are non-Hindu and worship her. As a Shakta, I certainly don't and since you know her accurate mythos, it's not culturally appropriation. You're also not trying to sell her out.

India and Hinduism survived 800 years of the Moghul empire and then the Brits, etc, I don't think anything you do could harm the culture.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think the question of working with Durga is between you and Durga. I am of Celtic descent, but I currently work with Anubis. Before Anubis, I worked with Loki. They choose who to work with.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”