Hecate calling me?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Akairyuu

Hecate calling me?

Post by Akairyuu »

Hi everyone.

Ok. So recently I got back into spirituality after a long break. I have started by meditating every night to heal myself and raise my vibrations after putting all of my energy into completing my college course.

I have never really focussed on dieties and focus more on energy and spiritual awareness as a whole but I have recently heard Hecate's name in my head a couple of times. The name was clairaudient as it came out of the blue without external influences and about five minutes ago, I randomly stumbled upon her name in someone's signature.

I have done a little reading and have found that she is a Greek Goddess governing witchcraft, magic and night. Does anyone one have any comments as to why she may be calling me and how I should even begin to work with or approach this Goddess? I've never worked with pantheons but have worked with my spirit guides plenty of times, who are three dragons.

I would also appreciate if you could perhaps share any information or even some of your own experiences with this deity.

Thank you.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Hecate calling me?

Post by SpiritTalker »

To be honest, I don't work with pantheons either. I know the basic concept is to immerse oneself in the god-forms symbols and energies when meditating. The 3 symbols that pop into my head are from the triple goddess statue of Hecate in which each triplet holds a sign: a midwives' blade, an underworld key, and a snake which were considered sacred. Some statues replace the snake with a torch as Hecate is said to have lighted the way for Persephone out of the underworld. Other statues have just the torch, & If I recall, a black dog is another symbol of hers, as are the 3-way cross roads. She preceded the Titans, or was a Titan herself. I've seen it both ways. If you browse Amazon, there are a couple of quite interesting looking books about working with her specifically. I know there are members here who can give more info & who do work with Hecate. As to why she would make herself known to you... I can only assume that your spiritual development & path will benefit from her resonance, as a Transformation through exposure to her energy patterns, for lack of prettier words. When working with god-forms i think we absorb the forces that produce change compatible with those forces.
Shireside

Post by Shireside »

Hey there, that's pretty exciting stuff. Hecate is a powerful entity, I can only surmise, for how numerous her devotees are. An underworldly power, she strikes me as somewhat of a darker face to the nurturing, motherly deity figure. In the Greek Magical Papyri, she is invoked before the engagement in harmful or necromantic sorcery, if that gives you an idea of her relationship with practical magic.

I haven't been blessed yet to have the Torchbearer glance my way in a recognizable manner, so I can't share from personal experience. I have, however, read a lot of this deity from the angle of necromantic practices. As a general rule when approaching a godly power with the intention of working with them in the future, I think it's best to start with offerings; to Hecate in particular I've seen most often offerings of apple, olive oil, honey, and garlic cloves. Three-way crossroads fall under her domain, and offerings disposed there and not looked at twice are favorable if it is within your ability.

Though, I wouldn't even start with offerings until you've researched the deity well...Even if they are open to you, the relationship isn't worth maintaining unless they appeal to you and have influence in spheres that are important to you. There are a few online sources I know of that have heaps of information on her. I'll leave some links here if you'd like to check them out.

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html
http://hekatecovenant.com (looks weird on mobile, but maybe you'll have better luck. It's run by devotees.)
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

This is interesting to know, iv felt her call myself but Bernie busy with work to commit myself to anything. Will try some thins myself tomorrow when I meet up with some other more experienced witches
Akairyuu

Post by Akairyuu »

Thank you for your helpful responses :).

I was really just interested to see what others had to say about her be it through information about the Goddess and/or some experiences and she seems like an interesting Goddess. I'm not into necromancy and/or spells of a dark nature that do any sort of harm but I am into divination and have recently started scrying (I heard she also govern this?); I have some level clairvoyance/clairaudience and have done practice psychic readings in the past.

I'm just sticking to what I know and what I'm comfortable with for now. I may explore it a little further in the future, however, when I have done more thorough research :)
moonlightsonata

Post by moonlightsonata »

I'm Hecate's. :) Her and the Morrigan are my matrons. In my case, there were a lot of signs She was calling me. I kept running across torches everywhere; drew the torch rune several times. I did my dedication to begin my year and a day of study outdoors and as I turned to leave, I realized the place I had chosen was a perfect Y shaped crossroads. I kept running across ravens/crows. Her picture kept appearing whenever I looked up pagan stuff or even just looked at artwork. And I felt strongly drawn to Her. I thought about Her all the time. And where I am personally in my life, Her titles as Goddess of the Crossroads, Torchbearing Goddess, and Queen of Witches really resonate with me.
Finally one day I was doing a meditation where I thought I was going to be connecting with another Goddess, and She showed up and had some things to say. :) That solidified things for me.
Hecate is comfortable with the dark, but she is also called Lightbearer, Soteria (Savior), Kalliste (Fairest). I work a lot with darkness and at night because that's just my natural rhythms, but I can't see Her tolerating harmful magic. She is not a Goddess to be taken lightly (but then, who is?) but She protects those who turn to Her. I certainly wouldn't mess with Her and try to do harm! She has already made a huge difference in my life and I've only been working with my matrons for a short while. And yes, She oversees all forms of psychic power (scrying, Tarot, runes, guided meditations, etc.). http://nehetisingsforhekate.tumblr.com/ has a ton of info. There is also the book "Pagan Portals: Hekate: A Devotional" that I recommend.
Daughter of Hecate and the Morrigan
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Akairyuu,
Hecate/Hekate is whatever you need of Her...
She is not completely dark and when she is its
to help those who have been hurt or abused
in some way.
Tho, She is not one to be taken lightly, but
if you choose Her for your Deity be prepared
for change in your life !
Since She has been my Goddess, I have been
speaking my mind more instead of biting my
tongue... :evilwitch: I feel complete with Her.

May you be happy with any one you choose
or who chooses you !
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”