Anyone too nocturnal?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
moonlightsonata

Anyone too nocturnal?

Post by moonlightsonata »

I'm a night person. Always have been. I physically, mentally and spiritually feel best in the evening/night. Night is my time to do my witchy stuff :flyingwitch: to write, to read, to play video games...to do the things that I enjoy. Day time is for doing the things that have to be done.
I read Nocturnal Witchcraft and it really resonated with me. I feel very much what he is talking about in there. But the fact is that I still have to be functional in the real world and waking up at 10 or 11 every day doesn't help with that. Has anyone else struggled balancing day and night energies, or balancing a pull towards one time of day to another?
Daughter of Hecate and the Morrigan
Shireside

Re: Anyone too nocturnal?

Post by Shireside »

Absolutely! Though it certainly didn't have anything to do with witchery, I was hugely nocturnal several years ago despite work and college schedules. I was pretty bad about it, and had no discipline...going in for 8-hour shifts on 2 hours of sleep was beyond stupid, and when school came around, I'd still be up until the crack of dawn and scrape by with as little functionality as possible. I'd get sick all the time because I wasn't giving my body a break, but I couldn't be bothered to care. Mine is a pretty extreme example because the imbalance was kindled by a genuine addiction to something which kept me awake as often as possible, but I think it applies here.

Though I was up through the daytime hours as well, I looked forward to the night the most... The setting of the sun wants to send the overt, "tangible" aspect of your psyche to bed, while sharpening your subtle, intuitive aspect which has a stronger tie to the Unseen. In the activity of day, it can often be difficult to really connect with the parts of yourself and the world around you which are the most conducive of the witching way. I understand day and night to be reflections of the seasonal shift from summer to winter, inclusive of the Unseen connotations of this cycle. In the night, the little winter of our 24-hour period, the spirit world really does seem closer to the surface of our awareness.
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

With practice you can enshroud yourself in night even during the day. Reach your focus to your being in the night. The now is the grandest illusion. It is that which we all agree on so the essence of our thought as conscious entities can easily communicate. Now does not exist. Our being is time free. It knows itself at all points in it's existence. The 6 Houses of the Inner Eye that must be freed to have clear sight can be entered, looked at and known. When you know yourself you see clearly. It is only when you can see that you truly know where you are and can see where you are going, where you have been and that they are one.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Brief background: after being emancipated at 16yrs. I traveled across
country in 18-wheelers helping to load and unload them. The drivers
spend a lot of the night-time driving, so I'd keep them awake.
At the age of 22 some carneys picked me up hitch-hiking, I stayed
working with the carnival for 11 years. I worked in the games, my thing
was working with the kids and showing them how to win ! My body got
use to the schedule, 9am-2am, get up and do it again !
My body is still on carnival time ! Drives hubby nuts, cause if I go to
bed earlier than 12:30-1am I toss and turn so its no use for me to be
miserable in bed for hours; I'd rather be up reading magickal books !
When I need to get up early, I set my internal clock; I see the clock
face in my mind and always set it for 9am-follow the clock arms to
the 12 and then down to the 9 many times. I don't know why it only
works at 9, I've tried others with no luck.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I can't add much to the topic - my energy rises and falls with the sun. I fold up at sunset. My older sister is the complete polar opposite and functions best in night hours & could be the poster child for "not a morning person."

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”