Celebrating a "Pet's" birthday

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
GirlUnderTheTree

Celebrating a "Pet's" birthday

Post by GirlUnderTheTree »

Firstly I want to start off by saying I personally don't like using the term "pet" to describe my fur babies (a term I saw on here that I quiet like the sound of), to me the term pet sounds like we "own" the animals, and I prefer to think of my animals as parts of the family, like my child rather than something I physically own. Not sure if that makes any sense but just wanted to get it out of the way.

So my little fur baby is about to turn 5 at the end of May this year and I know it's a long ways off but I came to the realization today, that I never really celebrated her birthday. I mean I know the day she was born but besides just saying "happy birthday" I never really did anything.

So my question to you guys is; particularly as practitioners of more earth based practices, do you celebrate your fur babies birthdays, or is it just another day of the year?

Thank you and sorry if I was kinda rambling at the start.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Nature is my church, and my heart is my guide.
~blessed be everyone~
Bychan Wulf

Re: Celebrating a

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Happy Birthday to your buddy!
I have the same feeling you do. I usually refer to my fur babies with their name. On the forum I use dog and cat, because I can't await from the members to remember their names.

We always bought something gourmet (in the matter of dog or cat food) and left the eat it while saying happy birthday. Also, no scolding, no matter what they do. Sasha (the dog) also get a long walk through the woods and gets to run without a leash ( he's small and comes back every time; the leash is only for his protection).
Sammy ( the cat), gets besides the gourmet cat food, some Tiramisu ( I don't know if it's the international name of this cake). She is not allowed to eat it (cats usually can't ) but absolutely loves it. We like it too so we always have some and on her b-day she is allowed to have some too.
I don't know the fish's birthday; there are too many, and I'm ashamed of that. :-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Mystie.Graves

Re: Celebrating a "Pet's" birthday

Post by Mystie.Graves »

I have cats at the moment; Salem & Munchkin.

Munchkin, 11yo was born in the spring, sometime in May. Though we don't know which day.

Salem was born in October. Pretty sure the 13th, hey mama was ready the day before, & the next day wasn't pregnant, so we had to search for babies lol. She turned 1 year this last October.

They get either a steamed fish fillet, or a can of tuna. Which ever I have at the time. Plus some cream or milk.
They are spoiled so when one has a birthday, or it's a holiday & we all get treats, they both get to share in the treat. Occasionally they will get scrambled eggs & bacon. During the holidays we have a tray of shrimp they get some of that too...

Salem is picky & she does not care for much for any other treats, but Munchkin loves Cheezits & goldfish crackers. Though you can't get to many to a cat to often, carbs & salt can make them sick of they have to much. But a small single cheezit once every week to a month, he loves it. It's his special thing.

I think I might over spoiled my fur babies lol

Happy Birthday to your fur baby! I hope you can share something nice.

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

For my dog, a beagle-mix, I would order a pizza with extra sausage, no anchovies. He used to leap, bark and dance on his hind legs for pizza delivery. Cats, not so much. They assume it's theirs.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

My babies are pretty much treated like royalty in this house. I've never really had a "birthday" for my babes, but they often get homemade goodies just because.
We don't do birthdays, but we do celebrate survival days for my pups. Both my dogs are survivors of something serious- My lab, Jenny, had an emergency hysterectomy on Mothers Day a few years ago and my Cattle dog, Phira, was diagnosed with cancer two days before Christmas last year. They both cost us an arm and a leg to keep them alive, so we celebrate the days we were told they would not live, but beat the odds :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
GirlUnderTheTree

Post by GirlUnderTheTree »

Wow, I'm defiantly going to have to find something a little extra special for my little one when the time comes, I know she absolutely loves chicken so perhaps something around that. She's not a fan of wet dog food though so maybe something more like a dog treat or even a bone to chew on. Maybe even a new toy :)
@Smogie_michele Wow I'm sure glad there alright after being threw so much! My grandparents actually just lost there dog of almost 20 years, they spoiled him and I think that because he was loved by everyone that that's what kept him around for so long.
I do however celebrate the other holidays with my dog. I got her a present for Yule and a little shirt for Halloween.
She's quiet spoiled too. If she gets cold outside she's small enough I can just stick her in my jacket with me and take her back to the house. (FYI she's a short haired chihuahua mix, and our winters here are extremely cold)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Nature is my church, and my heart is my guide.
~blessed be everyone~
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Mystie... I have an October 13 Salem. He's a siamese mix. His older sister, Spirit, is all black.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Mystie.Graves

Post by Mystie.Graves »

SnowCat wrote:Mystie... I have an October 13 Salem. He's a siamese mix. His older sister, Spirit, is all black.

Snow
Awww! Siamese cats are so pretty. My Salem is a tabby. A spoiled rotten tabby:

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... dd4922.jpg[/img]

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... bca2a8.jpg[/img]

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
Mystie.Graves

Post by Mystie.Graves »

GirlUnderTheTree wrote:Wow, I'm defiantly going to have to find something a little extra special for my little one when the time comes, I know she absolutely loves chicken so perhaps something around that. She's not a fan of wet dog food though so maybe something more like a dog treat or even a bone to chew on. Maybe even a new toy :)
@Smogie_michele Wow I'm sure glad there alright after being threw so much! My grandparents actually just lost there dog of almost 20 years, they spoiled him and I think that because he was loved by everyone that that's what kept him around for so long.
I do however celebrate the other holidays with my dog. I got her a present for Yule and a little shirt for Halloween.
She's quiet spoiled too. If she gets cold outside she's small enough I can just stick her in my jacket with me and take her back to the house. (FYI she's a short haired chihuahua mix, and our winters here are extremely cold)
I bet she would love a chew toy! She will love whatever you do for her. Even if she doesn't know why you do it, she will still love it because she knows she is loved. =)

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I throw a birthday party for all my girls. Addie (my yorkiepoo) just turned 2 a couple weeks ago. She got wet food and puppy ice cream as well as a frosted puppy cookie.

My girls are my kids. smileylove
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows

Return to “Animals and Pets”