Planetary Hours

General questions and conversations about astrology.
Bstnactrs

Planetary Hours

Post by Bstnactrs »

Hi Chris,

I got another one for you.

I was reading up on planetary hours & their significance in spellcasting. After figuring out how to actually calculate them (whew! what a task!), I then looked their "meanings" up in a few books I have and, not surprisingly, everyone says something different about what these hours are good for in terms of the kinds of spells you should / could cast at certain times if you choose to try to get as much stuff lined up as possible for a potentially good outcome.

Now, I have not paid any attention to this when casting spells and not really sure if I would or could but I am curious as to whether or not there is a basic, universal meaning to each of these hours even in general? If yes, do you have any good websites you could refer me to?

If not, what is YOUR understanding of what these planets mean in terms of the best times for the different kinds of spells that can be done during their hours?

Also, if one were to pay attention to this, is it more important that you START the spell during the appropriate planetary hour or, just that the spell is done DURING that planetary hour. And what if your spell was done between two planetary hours?

I am absolutely fascinated by this! Any info would be great so I can have a better understanidng of how this works (or not).

Thansk Chris!

STasia
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Hey Stasia,

Fr my part, I do not get too caught up in having all the external circumstances "just right" as the real power of spellcraft is something beyond the physical. It is a strange attachment that the external world presents--on the one hand, we want to do certain spells to effect change in our physical surroundings, yet in order to do so, the physical has to be superceded in some way through innocent belief, rigorous knowledge and pure heart intention. A keen imagination also helps, which I suspect is one of your strengths. What I am trying to say is that the most interesting witches I know, and probably most advanced, care little for the identification, classification and signification of each and every detail. The power of the witch is everyday, in everything, not when the moon is aligned your 8th house with a Sun-Jupiter transit (for example). Granted, it is FUN to actively investigate all these details, but it is also good to just give in to faith--it is not about the circumstances around you--it is about YOU, pure and simple.

Your question about "universal meaning" concerns me a little as this would imply that meaning is static and unable to develop, grow and change. I think that the hours are, essentially, what you make of them--how do the Wiccans put it " do what ye will . . ." There is a call to create and honour your creative truth makeing ability. If you have consistently had good luck or good times Friday night at 9 p.m. then why not choose this time for spellwork? Let experience be your guide. . .

That said, to get into some of the details you request, I think that T.Guy posted a good web site on a thread in this section called "saturn hour." In fact, that site is remarkably informative. Thanks T.Guy. . .I am much more of a generalist (traditionalist?) in my approach to this matter. I mark the astrological day out in in 2 hour slots--starting with Aries at sunrise:

6:00 - 8:00 a.m. -Aries (Mars)
8:00 - 10:00 a.m. - Taurus (Venus)
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Gemini (Mercury)
Noon - 2:00 p.m. - Cancer (Moon)
2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Leo (Sun)
4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. - Virgo (Mercury)
6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. - Libra - (Venus)
8:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. - Scorpio (Pluto / Mars)
10:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. - Sagittarius (Jupiter)
Midnight - 2:00 a.m - Capricorn (Saturn)
2:00 a.m - 4:00 a.m. - Aquarius (Uranus / Saturn)
4:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. - Pisces (Neptune / Jupiter)

As for when to begin the spell--well I would suggest that foremost, it depends on the spell, and if the spell invovles something like, for example, opening communciation pathways between you and the Spirt realm then begin at a Mercury time--if you feel so inclined--I would say that a spell "ends" always under its terms (especially if you use candle magick) and I wouldn't impose time limits on anything of this nature.
I also think that the days of the week are important--if your spell involves Isis, for example, then I would try to perform it on a Monday around the Noon hour, here's a quick list:
Monday - Moon
Tuesday - Mars
Wednesday - Mercury
Thursday - Jupiter
Friday - Venus
Saturday - Saturn
Sunday - Sun
That's all I got on this one--good luck researching this! Thanks Stasia,

Blessings,
bsp
Bstnactrs

Post by Bstnactrs »

[quote="being-singular-plural"]Hey Stasia,

Fr my part, I do not get too caught up in having all the external circumstances "just right" as the real power of spellcraft is something beyond the physical. It is a strange attachment that the external world presents--on the one hand, we want to do certain spells to effect change in our physical surroundings, yet in order to do so, the physical has to be superceded in some way through innocent belief, rigorous knowledge and pure heart intention. A keen imagination also helps, which I suspect is one of your strengths. What I am trying to say is that the most interesting witches I know, and probably most advanced, care little for the identification, classification and signification of each and every detail. The power of the witch is everyday, in everything, not when the moon is aligned your 8th house with a Sun-Jupiter transit (for example). Granted, it is FUN to actively investigate all these details, but it is also good to just give in to faith--it is not about the circumstances around you--it is about YOU, pure and simple.

Understood & agreed - again, I do not think I would actually take the time to work it out anyway...a lot of work and I believe it is better to do the spell when you feel it is right and have the time, not necessarily when the planets have all algined! I know this is an option and I also know that rituals & spells can be as simple or as complicated as I want to make them (or not).

Your question about "universal meaning" concerns me a little as this would imply that meaning is static and unable to develop, grow and change. I think that the hours are, essentially, what you make of them--how do the Wiccans put it " do what ye will . . ." There is a call to create and honour your creative truth makeing ability. If you have consistently had good luck or good times Friday night at 9 p.m. then why not choose this time for spellwork? Let experience be your guide. . .

Understood - my question was only because I did not know if most agreed that , say Venus is good if the intention involves love...that kind of thing. I realize that most things in this realm do not have universals necessarily and the information can pretty much be used as a guide and not a rule book.

That said, to get into some of the details you request, I think that T.Guy posted a good web site on a thread in this section called "saturn hour." In fact, that site is remarkably informative. Thanks T.Guy. . .I am much more of a generalist (traditionalist?) in my approach to this matter. I mark the astrological day out in in 2 hour slots--starting with Aries at sunrise:

6:00 - 8:00 a.m. -Aries (Mars)
8:00 - 10:00 a.m. - Taurus (Venus)
10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Gemini (Mercury)
Noon - 2:00 p.m. - Cancer (Moon)
2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Leo (Sun)
4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. - Virgo (Mercury)
6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. - Libra - (Venus)
8:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. - Scorpio (Pluto / Mars)
10:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. - Sagittarius (Jupiter)
Midnight - 2:00 a.m - Capricorn (Saturn)
2:00 a.m - 4:00 a.m. - Aquarius (Uranus / Saturn)
4:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m. - Pisces (Neptune / Jupiter)

Interesting.

As for when to begin the spell--well I would suggest that foremost, it depends on the spell, and if the spell invovles something like, for example, opening communciation pathways between you and the Spirt realm then begin at a Mercury time--if you feel so inclined--I would say that a spell "ends" always under its terms (especially if you use candle magick) and I wouldn't impose time limits on anything of this nature.
I also think that the days of the week are important--if your spell involves Isis, for example, then I would try to perform it on a Monday around the Noon hour, here's a quick list:
Monday - Moon
Tuesday - Mars
Wednesday - Mercury
Thursday - Jupiter
Friday - Venus
Saturday - Saturn
Sunday - Sun
That's all I got on this one--good luck researching this! Thanks Stasia,

Thank you Chris!

Again, this is not because I have decided to become anal retentive in my spellcasting...as I continue to try and learn more, this information comes up and whether I choose to put it into practice or not, I think it is good to at least comprehend it & have that basis of knowledge.

Stasia
being-singular-plural

I agree and hope that I don't sound too preachy--I didn't want to come across that way--the written word often loses the nuance of phonetic speech--I certainly share your views about learning and employing knowledge--what else is there to do this life!?!?!? Thanks again and many blessings,

bsp
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Excellent posts - both of you.
I don't pay any attention to the position of planets when spell casting but I definately think it is a worth while subject to research up on and also a nice little project to observe and make notes.
A few years back I went through a phase of planting by the position of planets - only I didn't bother to take notes of my findings - I think this is something I will pursue however.
*good to see you bsp - how's that gorgeous little girl doing?
Bstnactrs

Post by Bstnactrs »

Thanks Hedge!

I do think it is worth maybe taking note once or twice to see not only how your spells are affected but also, how you are affected. It is very interesting and I had a lot of fun learning about it & figuring out how to calculate it. I like that I have abasic comprehension of it now. That way, if I feel so inclined, I can plan ahead.

And Chris,

You are never preachy! I realize my own posts "sounded" like I was countering yours - not my intention - you are right, you cannot hear tone via writing...I was making an effort to be more "conversational".

As always, your insights are very helpful and I do appreciate them. I also have a much better appreciation for people like you who work with this stuff all the time - astrology is not easy! Kudos to you!

Stasia
being-singular-plural

Thanks Stasia,

I look forward to more of these conversations. Bless you today and always!

Dearest Hedgewitch,

Hi darling. Things are well despite the exhaustion. Aurea is growing perfectly! How is your family? How is Spain!? I bet it is beautiful---are you going to watch any of the World Cup Football Tournament next month? I am. . .Chat with you soon and stay awesome!

Bless you,

bsp
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

She is just the sweetest :D
You give her a cuddle from me.
Spain is glorious, the family even more so and you bet I'll be watching the world cup :D
((hugs)))
[aphrodite]

Post by [aphrodite] »

Oh that picture is georgeous BSP how old is she? and I think Auera is a beautiful name for a beautiful little angel.

blessed be
APHRODITE
XXX

Return to “Astrology and Zodiac”