Albion

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
seawitch Artist

Albion

Post by seawitch Artist »

Does anybody know much about Albion? I'd love to hear!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Albion

Post by Firebird »

As I understand it the name has several references. Most common being the ancient name for Brittany.
The roots of the word ..."alb" boil down to the color white or pale.
Perhaps alluding to the white cliffs of Britan or in reference to a white or pale Goddess that was revered in those lands.
I have a tarot deck called the Beasts of Albion, it's an animal oracle deck that includes animals from old Brittany that were commonly addressed for insight. It's quite beautiful and informative.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
seawitch Artist

firebirdflys wrote:As I understand it the name has several references. Most common being the ancient name for Brittany.
Firebird
Hello Firebird, thanks for this, but I'm sure you mean Britain...Brittany is in France! :mrgreen: Albion is the most ancient name for mainland Britain it is often said, however I gather that at 'the dawn of time' for the better way of putting it there was another name I can't remember ...began with an S ..a mythical island of beautiful people...it seems to have been us!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh dang, my bad.
The idea of "Albion" inculded the all the British Isles including Ireland (but I don't know about Scotland) and some of the European mainland once known as Little Britain, now know as Brittany.( I'm sorry sometimes I leave stuff out.)
As I understand it wasn't a specefic group of people or boundry, but traditional body of lore that ended up rooted in Britan.
Does that sound a bit more like it? I have always been curious so I'm glad you brought it up. Perhaps you may have a better sense of it since you are inhabitating said area. Is there any faires or festivals geared towards Albion?
Also they were associated with a giant race of people?
So Albion named for the White Goddess Albina and the white cliffs of Dover? What about the Chalk bluffs with the Uffington horse? Or the Cerne Abbas giant does he maybe represent the race of giants he's white too.? I don't know enough about Britan to be speaking of this really, but the whole "white" concept had intrigued me. Like light, purity, healing and the source.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
seawitch Artist

firebirdflys wrote:Oh dang, my bad.
The idea of "Albion" inculded the all the British Isles including Ireland (but I don't know about Scotland) and some of the
No...it applied to Great Britain, that's the mainland proper, not including Ireland or any other British isles. That name I'm satisfied comes from the white cliffs, the first and only part of Britain visible from Europe... more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion All this is about the old name of Britain though, it's the god I want to explore. I know he is portrayed also as a guardian giant swimming forever around Britain....and as the giant son of Poseiden the Greek god of the sea, who sired a race of giants here before he was murdered.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”