Do Gods/Goddesses have "servants"?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Audrey

Do Gods/Goddesses have "servants"?

Post by Audrey »

I'm reading Robin Arlisson's book and he says Gods/Goddesses have daimons or spirits who are half human half divine who serve them. In other words, when you pray to a God or Goddess it's not the actual God or Goddess answering your call but one of their daimons who take on characteristics of their God or Goddess that comes to you.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Do Gods/Goddesses have "servants"?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Tlaloc has the Tlaloque. Inanna has a servant. Ereshkogal has gallu. Both Aztec and Mesopotamian gods considered people their slaves.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Siona

Re: Do Gods/Goddesses have "servants"?

Post by Siona »

Audrey wrote:I'm reading Robin Arlisson's book and he says Gods/Goddesses have daimons or spirits who are half human half divine who serve them. In other words, when you pray to a God or Goddess it's not the actual God or Goddess answering your call but one of their daimons who take on characteristics of their God or Goddess that comes to you.
It's certainly not a universal belief, and it's not something you'd find evidence for in many mythologies. Sure, some deities have an "entourage," so to speak, or attendants, but they are not necessarily half human/half deity, and I don't think you always get an attendant when speaking to a deity. Like, there are cases in Greek mythology, for example, where an attendant deity is it's own entity you can pray to and make offerings to for aid. The Graces, for example, were said to be attendants to Aphrodite, but they were their own entities that had prayers written about them, and so on.

That said, whatever an individual wants to believe on the subject, that's up to them and what makes sense to them. I can see this working as a personal belief, even if it's not one I share.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”