Spell or Prayer what's the difference?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
HopefulChild

Spell or Prayer what's the difference?

Post by HopefulChild »

Is there a difference between a spell and a prayer?

If so, what do you think the difference is?
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Spell or Prayer what's the difference?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

One is petitioning a deity or thanking a deity, etc.

The other does not require such, nor even the god to be present, but merely takes energy from them to use in spells.

Still, prayer could be a type of magick. But the two are not the same, working with a god for something vs using a money spell in the god's name. For example, I tend to pray to Isis. But I use spells in Marduk's name without him ever being around me and I do not worship him like I do Isis.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

That's why I was asking.

I've read a lot of spells that use specific deity references and then the spell source usually puts, (Or the spirit of your choice) after that.
Becks

Post by Becks »

I actually think the lines are quite blurry here. Perhaps they have more in common than not? One may be petitioning, thanking or the other simply using energy....but what they have in common is the action of will to communication to outward expression for purpose. We can try to make boxes, and categorize, but in reality I think it is an excellent question for discussion....I suspect it's what you're getting at HopefulChild. I suspect most practitioners of prayer and spells regularly move between the two. Some folks may have their own solid working definitions of each and feel they practice each act distinctly, but I don't. I'm curious as to what others think.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I dislike petitioning.
It falls back to that feeling I have that an individual can accrue spiritual indebtedness. I don't know why I can't shake that core feeling, but It's been growing into a rather fabulous story world...so there is that.

I like the idea of doing things purely by will, and with faith in concert. The discussions on here about faith and will have been so very helpful to me while learning and trying to understand what it is I want my spiritual life to consist of, so thanks again to everyone who got involved on those.

At the same time, I have prayed. To my ancestors, to the aspects, and on more than one occasion to whomever would listen. Because sometimes you just have that much going on.

So it's a blurry concept for me. If I call on a specific Deity in a spell, have I bent the reed toward petition? I don't know?

If I am using my will and my energy but I am asking a Deity to bless my efforts, then what is that?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I look at both as asking for assistance. I ask my husband to help me bring in groceries. I ask other nurses for advice on providing patient care. I ask Lori for help in sorting out problems. It's variations on a central theme for me.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Jenny Crow

Post by Jenny Crow »

Are you asking if there's a difference between a spell that is worked with the aid of deity (also called deity magic) and simply praying to deity. I'm presuming that you mean asking deity for something through prayer - yes?

If I'm going to work deity magic, I would gather my supplies - candles, oils, herbs etc etc. then cast my circle and call on the appropriate deity to help me. In other words I would be working a spell with the help of deity.

If I was going to pray to my deity I can do that just sitting at my altar without any items - it wouldn't be a spell or a working - just me praying to my deity. I can pray to my deity any time actually.

You asked if there is a difference between a spell and a prayer. Well spells are often worked without the aid of deities - they can be worked with almost anything - herbs, candles, blood, personal items, powders, dolls etc. etc. which would make them very different from praying.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

To me, prayer is simply connecting with deity, either conversationally, or, more commonly, through meditation. It is generally (for me) not asking for things. Spellwork is the use of energy to effect a desired result.I don't typically invoke deity for spellwork.
Myrth
Siona

Post by Siona »

HopefulChild wrote:Is there a difference between a spell and a prayer?

If so, what do you think the difference is?
I think there is a difference - but at the same time, there can also be overlap. Like, for me, prayer tends to be more about relationship building, about devotional work. A spell is more about working toward a goal, and for me that is usually without bringing deity into it. So a prayer does not have to be a spell, and the other way around... but at the same time, again, sometimes there's overlap. I do sometimes pray to ask for guidance or help with something. I do sometimes work magic with deities. Especially when it comes to Hekate, as goddess of magic, the line really gets blurry between prayer/spell, and devotion and work.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I honestly view them as the same. If I had to draw a line between the two, I would say (in my opinion) that a spell is simple a prayer with a recipe involved... that there are certain tools, ingredients, and steps to take within it.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SirisDerp

Post by SirisDerp »

Prayer is asking a deity for protection, long life, a good day, etc. It's a more formal way to go about it. You're projecting your intention at the deity to grant it for you or yo help you be strong, etc.

Spells are more of utilising the energies around you, within yourself, and deities you choose to ask for help from to help project an intent into the world. You're the one making something happen.

It's how I've always viewed it and the lines can get blurry because it can be one and the same.
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

I think they are very similar. They are both asking something to be done or assisted by aide of a deity however the method is different. Spells, meditations, and rituals help people focus their energy and thoughts into what they are trying to accomplish. When I "pray" I am often just talking, like I would talk to another person. Anything from a quick thank you, to a "what the hell?" To various simple requests. Either way it's not as focused, but that's individual to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

Siona wrote: Like, for me, prayer tends to be more about relationship building, about devotional work.
Could you talk about that a little more? If you want to.

What is devotional work?

I've always considered prayer to be begging for things. It's what I saw whenever my family prayed. They prayed when stuff went wrong, when people were sick, when they needed or wanted. Even the prayer at meals was never really "thanks" , it was, "This is great, here is what would be better next time".

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”