Healing at ones own expense

Discussion of healing and energy work. (We have a new forum for Prayer Requests. It's down in the Member's Nook.)
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

I'm a nurse. Healing is my profession but also as an Empath I am greatly affected by my patients energies. How do I protect myself without compromising my healing energies?
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Healing at ones own expense

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

There is making protective psychic armor for yourself and cleansings through meditation. YouTube offers many resources and it shouldn't compromise your ability to heal at all.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

An empath must learn to ground and shield in order to not be overwhelmed and drained by others. I am not a nurse, but I practice Reiki. Shielding does not adversely affect the ability to give healing energy.

Grounding is important in any energy work. Since you mention healing energy, I will assume you already know how to ground yourself and raise energy.

There are various ways to shield. I will describe a simple one. Ground yourself. Raise energy however you are used to doing it. Project it around yourself, setting the intent that it surround you with a permeable shield of white light, letting in what is good and protecting you from what is bad, allowing you to project energy, but keeping out destructive energies. Set the intention that the shield remain up. You can renew it daily if desired.
Myrth
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

I am an empath too and sometimes empaths are so "absorbent" that they cannot block. Blocking can even trap unwanted energies with you. Grounding is important and I feel it's useful to still exercise your shielding muscle but I read that you need to imagine a key hole in your heart and that all the energies go through you there. Without effecting you. I personally kind of make myself invisible in a way. I imagine that I'm invisible and then the energy just passes through my whole body like a spirit walking through a wall. You might have to find a way that works best for you. And remember you can always return the energy to where it came from and take back what you gave others. I recommend you do this every day actually or after every patient even. And cleanse your self every time you shower.

I understand how you feel though. I had to stop practicing hypnotherapy because I was too effected by my clients. I was in denial about being an empath though at that time and was not blocking or passing at all. Good luck to you! And many blessings.
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

The book was "Self care for the self aware". It's a short read and is written for empaths and healers. I wanna say it was under $5 on kindle but I don't remember for sure.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Maintain professional boundaries.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

Myrth wrote:An empath must learn to ground and shield in order to not be overwhelmed and drained by others. I am not a nurse, but I practice Reiki. Shielding does not adversely affect the ability to give healing energy.

Grounding is important in any energy work. Since you mention healing energy, I will assume you already know how to ground yourself and raise energy.

There are various ways to shield. I will describe a simple one. Ground yourself. Raise energy however you are used to doing it. Project it around yourself, setting the intent that it surround you with a permeable shield of white light, letting in what is good and protecting you from what is bad, allowing you to project energy, but keeping out destructive energies. Set the intention that the shield remain up. You can renew it daily if desired.
Assume nothing dear lady :) I was doing these things long before I knew it had a name or practice to go with it. And so I know nothing of grounding and psychic armor etc. this is why I ask. Even as a child I remember my grandmother telling me I had healing hands. Didn't really know what that meant. I would say I'm just understanding. I'm aware now of the fact energy does flow from one person to another but am very young in my understanding. Reiki might be a good place to start reading but this is such an expansive new world for me I'm not sure where to begin. I do know I have felt both positive and negative effects on me from helping and being in a healer role. I want to maximize myself as a healer but not at my own expense. Channel energy not give it away. If that makes more sense?
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

SnowCat wrote:Maintain professional boundaries.

Snow
Snow- professional boundaries and being a healer are rather different topics. It is difficult to explain but you may not know anything about the patient but their energy affects you the moment you walk into the room. So there is some sort of protectiveness I need to learn so I can't be so affected especially negatively by another person's energy but I don't want it to hinder flow of good energy through me.

And as another poster said being an Empath certainly can make one so sensitive you cannot ground or shield. And I feel like that's where I'm at.

Luckily my job has shorter interactions and mostly healthy people so the majority of my interactions are positive. I make people smile when they're grumpy etc. that's simple stuff. But on occasion we get someone that ends up with a really bad diagnosis. Those are really hard because you feel that pain before they do.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Grounding:

http://reikirays.com/1475/grounding-tec ... g-methods/

I highly recommend taking a Reiki class. I know various people in medicine who are also Reiki attuned.
Myrth
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

http://www.mightynurse.com/the-long-ter ... e-stories/

The physical effects of being a nurse are well documented. This is just the physical tangible stuff. I'd love to see articles on the spiritual effects as well. It is a tough profession.

Myrth- I will look at that. Thank you.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

WiccanWitch, I am also an empathy and a physician assistant with many years of independent practice in the Alaska wilderness, Marshall Islands, Korea, Vietnam and Laos. I have encountered no ill effects by contact with all sorts of patients,many violent individuals and gross trauma and mental problems. Personally I think being immersed in negative energy on a daily basis has little ability to perturb one's own energy field so long as our intentions are noble and we are spiritually motivated and stay in close communion with a protective spirit guide (God or Goddess). Throughout my practice I always make a point to envision healing energies enveloping myself and relaying these forces to my patients.
When you become the hands of Spirit on this world Spirit is ever present and is protective.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

Maybe my lack of having identified or made connections or relationships with guides is where I am lacking.

Return to “Healing and Energy Work”