GMO Foods-anyone ?

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
MsMollimizz

GMO Foods-anyone ?

Post by MsMollimizz »

Not sure where else to put this...
I want to start a discussion about the GMOs and your opinions :?
In my opinion we already have GMO foods in our supermarket,
that's why that company is scrambling.
Here in California there's oodles of commercials for them
Halos for kids, I think they are GMO fruit, hubby got them for
awhile and after a week they got hard... Our grapes are not
the same as they were, they're firm on outside but mushy
on the inside, yuck. The segments in the navel oranges hubby
picked up all taste the same. I've eaten a lot of oranges in my
life and found each segment was slightly different in flavor
especially if the nave is big.
I'm afraid eating the GMO foods will change our genes, and
there's no proof either way, but I'd entitled to my opinion.
I'm hoping others will add their thoughts on this subject,
please ?
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Becks

Re: GMO Foods-anyone ?

Post by Becks »

A very interesting topic for sure. I understand the so called 'benefits' of GMO's...greater shelf life for shipping and storage, resistance to disease and greater yield....makes me think of monocorpping and use of pesticides and the detrimental effects to the indigenous pollinators and honeybees.....but I agree with you MsMolimizz...what are we losing? What are the long term effects? I agree they don't taste the same, tomatoes don't smell like tomatoes and the flavours are changed....bland...there's a lot I think we don't know.

This is why I don't want to live in the city and an apartment forever. I want to garden, plant heritage varieties of veggies and flowers, and use older garden techniques like rotating crops. I will also begin to study apiculture with local bee keepers when I finish at the university this winter. I can't wait.

It scares me too.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I don't know if there's somewhere to find what foods
are already on the shelf...
I remember back 30 some odd years ago, there was
a big fight between the farmers and (I think) the "seed
company", the farmers couldn't buy seed for the start
of planting season. The farmers had to buy the seed
from them, every year ! I think that's where this all
got started.
Anyone have grass in their yard ? Will it go to seed
if left to grow ? My cats love eating grass, so I pulled
a clump out from the edge and planted it in a pot
on my patio. That grass did not produce and seeds
for the following season, it just died after two weeks !
They must have their hooks in more than just food ?
Sounds like I need to do some serious searching !
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Everything is a "GMO", almost everything we eat has been genetically altered, rather by gene splicing or domestication. There has been numerous studies, including independent studies, over the past 20+ years. GMOs are safe. The fear mongering about GMOs however, probably won't convince people of the science that is correct about it. The science is going to be right, rather anyone believes it or not. It is still true.

Anti-GMOs groups promote conspiracy theories and false information consistently enough to where even politicians believe that tripe.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Grass in the yard will normally go to seed if it gets long enough. I'm not convinced that everything GMO is safe. The FDA approves "safe" medications, that are later pulled off the market due to serious injury and death related to their use. GMO food, while in many cases, has been developed over a long time, gets pushed through just like medications do. In both cases, money talks. My observations are based on my background and experience in pharmacy and nursing.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lord_of_Nightmares

SnowCat wrote:Grass in the yard will normally go to seed if it gets long enough. I'm not convinced that everything GMO is safe. The FDA approves "safe" medications, that are later pulled off the market due to serious injury and death related to their use. GMO food, while in many cases, has been developed over a long time, gets pushed through just like medications do. In both cases, money talks. My observations are based on my background and experience in pharmacy and nursing.

Snow
However, there are plenty of independent and peer reviewed studies that show GMOs are safe, not including how genes actually work. I mean, we have 33% or some number of the same DNA as daffodils. But we are not plants.

Here is Bill Nye explaining the process: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... bout-gmos/
- Devi
Becks

Post by Becks »

Lady_Lilith wrote:Everything is a "GMO", almost everything we eat has been genetically altered, rather by gene splicing or domestication. There has been numerous studies, including independent studies, over the past 20+ years. GMOs are safe. The fear mongering about GMOs however, probably won't convince people of the science that is correct about it. The science is going to be right, rather anyonr believes it or not. It is still true.

Anti-GMOs groups promote conspiracy theories and false information consistently enough to where even politicians believe that tripe.
Hi Lilith,

It is true that most of what we eat is modified. People have been practicing agriculture for millennia and we have cultivated our food by selecting heritable traits we found beneficial. Do we like our corn? Well that's great because it came from a grass (teosinte) originally, and we kept selecting traits that we preferred and came up with the result we all know and love. It's the same with our peaches, our apples, our flowers, and our pugs. Yes, we genetically modify the world around us and have been doing it for millennia. I'm sure Ms.M is also aware of that.

I am also up on my science and know the benefits of GMO technology......greater yields, pest resistance, etc. I mentioned that. I think it's good to be specific about what kind of GMO technology we talk about, are we simply modifying? Selecting for traits and then using those plants for reproduction, or are we splicing genes in a lab? You are right that most science and academic studies that hold weight are not showing long term risks. I agree.

I think we also need to consider where the funding for academic study comes from, and what scientists, agribusinesses and governments decide are the best questions to ask. I think of the North American testing and acceptance of neonicotinoids and I get a bit nervous....for really good reasons. I think we have to delve into the true nature of science (NOS) and accept that there is creativity, bias and imperfection there. Don't get me wrong I LOVE science. There is a whole world of (NOS) thought that I am learing about in my current studies. It's blowing my mind.

Just becuase we modify something doesn't mean it's better. It's true, it doesn't mean it's bad either. The best floral varieties for pollinators are older heritage varieties because they are easier to pollinate. All the "double" varieties of flower make more work for our pollinators....but they sure are pretty.

I agree this is a complex topic. I think the real truth is like everything else....somewhere in between. I will be interested to hear what Bill has to say, he is a great guy... though in that video does not address the issue you said it does...it says he is going to write more about it and that his mind has changed after visiting Monsanto. Monsanto has done some shady things in the past...as well as creating deveopments that further agriculture.

I liked this article out of Penn state. It talks about what you and I have both mentioned.

http://agsci.psu.edu/magazine/articles/ ... ce-of-gmos

It's very interesting to think about I find, and it's okay to question the dominant paradigm. It doesn't necessarily mean one is a conspiracy theorist.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Lady_Lilith wrote:
SnowCat wrote:Grass in the yard will normally go to seed if it gets long enough. I'm not convinced that everything GMO is safe. The FDA approves "safe" medications, that are later pulled off the market due to serious injury and death related to their use. GMO food, while in many cases, has been developed over a long time, gets pushed through just like medications do. In both cases, money talks. My observations are based on my background and experience in pharmacy and nursing.

Snow
However, there are plenty of independent and peer reviewed studies that show GMOs are safe, not including how genes actually work. I mean, we have 33% or some number of the same DNA as daffodils. But we are not plants.

Here is Bill Nye explaining the process: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... bout-gmos/
We have DNA in common with any number of organisms, as life on this particular world is carbon based. As I said, much of my observation is based on my experience in pharmacy and nursing. I have seen people injured and killed by medications that were pushed through the FDA by money.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lord_of_Nightmares

SnowCat wrote:
Lady_Lilith wrote:

Snow

We have DNA in common with any number of organisms, as life on this particular world is carbon based. As I said, much of my observation is based on my experience in pharmacy and nursing. I have seen people injured and killed by medications that were pushed through the FDA by money.

Snow

This is the problem with big pharma though, the food industry is not nessecerily the same. As I said before there have been peer reviewed independent studies on the matter. Peer review is an important academic process and it has to go through rigorous testing. Science is about testing and repeatable results. This is a reason many spiritual things do not pass academic verification, because they do not produce repeatable results or are unverifiable. GMOs do not have this problem.

@Becks thanks I will look at it later.
- Devi
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

GMO is here to stay, in fact our survival most likely will depend upon it. Humans seem to continue reproducing exponentially like microbes. To feed the world and stretch finite resources we are forced to modify existing biology. It's a slippery slope and mistakes will be made but few options exist. The smart option would be responsible reproduction following a lengthy moratorium. But we are not so smart.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Katrinkah

GMO Foods-anyone ?

Post by Katrinkah »

GMO food is awful and just another way to make money and dumbify the population. The studies that are reported in America are done by the actual GMO companies and can not be trusted. If you do your research you will find independent lab studies from other countries that show the lab rats growing huge tumors and deformations from GMOs. It doesn't effect the first generation but it does effect the 3rd and all others after that. They also cause intestinal problems amongst so many others. There have been lots diseases that were fixed just by changing to an all organic diet.

Also they don't resonate with the earths energy. Organic food resonates at 8 Hz, this is the same as the earth and the same as all spiritual healers during healing sessions. This is scientifically proven. Organic food is natural medicine!!! GMOs are the product of greed. Its disgusting.

This is a subject I am very passionate about and have done tons of research on. I buy all organic food and I believe the truth about GMO will come out soon enough. And our food system will change as the problems with the current system become more obvious. Most diseases plaguing America at this time can be cured with changing our diet. People are slowly becoming more aware of this. If you don't agree I apologize for my strong opinion, I'm a total conspiracy theorist! Lol, but I'm ok with that.

https://www.rt.com/news/monsanto-rats-tumor-france-531/

Why would we trust a company that specializes in making poison to alter our food?...
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Katrinkah wrote:GMO food is awful and just another way to make money and dumbify the population. The studies that are reported in America are done by the actual GMO companies and can not be trusted. If you do your research you will find independent lab studies from other countries that show the lab rats growing huge tumors and deformations from GMOs. It doesn't effect the first generation but it does effect the 3rd and all others after that. They also cause intestinal problems amongst so many others. There have been lots diseases that were fixed just by changing to an all organic diet.

This is a subject I am very passionate about and have done tons of research on. I buy all organic food and I believe the truth about GMO will come out soon enough. And our food system will change as the problems with the current system become more obvious. Most diseases plaguing America at this time can be cured with changing our diet. People are slowly becoming more aware of this. If you don't agree I apologize for my strong opinion, I'm a total conspiracy theorist! Lol, but I'm ok with that.

Why would we trust a company that specializes in making poison to alter our food?...
I am just recently starting to dig into any info I can on this...
I don't always buy into what "they" say about their products...
Some of us may watch the local and/or evening news, okay
we hear what they want us to hear, leaving out probably
a lot of info they don't want us to know !
They keep claiming it's safe, if that's the case then why is
Monsanto fighting so hard against the labeling of GMO foods ?
That it the main reason I don't trust them ! What are they
hiding, what are they afraid we will find ? Are they trying
to be the only supplier of foods ? That's scary !
I wish I had a house with a yard so I can grow our own foods.
That's the only way one could be totally sure, depending
on whose seeds !
That's my 3-cents...
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

Lord_of_Nightmares

Katrinkah wrote:GMO food is awful and just another way to make money and dumbify the population. The studies that are reported in America are done by the actual GMO companies and can not be trusted. If you do your research you will find independent lab studies from other countries that show the lab rats growing huge tumors and deformations from GMOs. It doesn't effect the first generation but it does effect the 3rd and all others after that. They also cause intestinal problems amongst so many others. There have been lots diseases that were fixed just by changing to an all organic diet.

Also they don't resonate with the earths energy. Organic food resonates at 8 Hz, this is the same as the earth and the same as all spiritual healers during healing sessions. This is scientifically proven. Organic food is natural medicine!!! GMOs are the product of greed. Its disgusting.

What is the difference between organic food and others other than being more expensive? Penn and Teller did a really good episode for the Bullsh*t! show on organic food.

RT news is also a terrible source. It is biased, relies on rumors, and is owned by the Russian government. They don't have the "freedoms" that America does. They have controlled media. I can't even imagine what they say about the recent happenings in the Ukraine, since Russia undoubtedly has something to do with it.

Organics can be GMOs and use synthetic pesticides.
- Devi
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

MsMollimizz wrote: They keep claiming it's safe, if that's the case then why is
Monsanto fighting so hard against the labeling of GMO foods ?
That it the main reason I don't trust them ! What are they
hiding, what are they afraid we will find ?
EXACTLY! Keep researching. Truth is good for the soul ;)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Good point Ms!

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”