Tips for reading tarot for others

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Tips for reading tarot for others

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I've just ordered a new deck and I'm very excited to have it here. I want to try to work on doing readings for others. I've mostly just read for myself for the past 6 years, and I've gotten really good at it. But, readings for others will be different and I'm excited to work on improving at it. Anyways, does anyone have any good tips on doing readings for others? I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Rosie
blue_moon

Re: Tips for reading tarot for others

Post by blue_moon »

I did a lot of readings for others. And they were always quite accurate.

At first I'd shuffle the deck a while. If my fingers start to tingle I'd start doing the spread. If it wasn't quite right I'd pass the cards on to the Questioner and have him shuffle.
BB

Blue Moon
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

I'm afraid to let someone else shuffle my cards.. I did this once a long tim ago when doing a reading for a friend, and he accidentally bent the corner of a card. It never shuffled right after that. But, I know it's a quite common practice when doing readings for others.

Rosie
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Outch ... I understand. I wouldn't let anyone shuffle my cards if something like that would have happened to me!
You could also maybe have the questioner just hold the deck for a moment before you shuffle.

I also had great readings without the other person touching the cards at all - not with everyone but it with family and close friends that absolutely worked.
BB

Blue Moon
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

blue_moon wrote:Outch ... I understand. I wouldn't let anyone shuffle my cards if something like that would have happened to me!
You could also maybe have the questioner just hold the deck for a moment before you shuffle.

I also had great readings without the other person touching the cards at all - not with everyone but it with family and close friends that absolutely worked.
I've considered letting the questioner lay their hand on top of the cards while they focus on their question, then let them cut the deck twice and put it back any way they wish. But, I'm not sure if I should shuffle the cards before they do this? After? Or both?

Rosie
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Well I have read for other people for a long time, are you planning on reading in person face to face or online or by email, it all changes the way you prepare for the reading and the guidance.

1. First you must learn the cards properly, that way there are no blank stares or empty moments.

2. Plan how you are going to read. The usual things are needed, like shuffling after the question and the spread are chosen that way the cards can fall into the correct positions.

If you learn properly then you will be ready for any situation that may arise.

3. Decide on your ethics and moral code, what types of questions will you not read on, will you predict, give follow-ups, offer any support.

Don't forget that reading for oneself is not the same as reading for others - with that comes great responsibility and the possibility of affecting another person's life, and that responsibility has to be taken very reverently and seriously.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Ivy wrote:Well I have read for other people for a long time, are you planning on reading in person face to face or online or by email, it all changes the way you prepare for the reading and the guidance.

1. First you must learn the cards properly, that way there are no blank stares or empty moments.

2. Plan how you are going to read. The usual things are needed, like shuffling after the question and the spread are chosen that way the cards can fall into the correct positions.

If you learn properly then you will be ready for any situation that may arise.

3. Decide on your ethics and moral code, what types of questions will you not read on, will you predict, give follow-ups, offer any support.

Don't forget that reading for oneself is not the same as reading for others - with that comes great responsibility and the possibility of affecting another person's life, and that responsibility has to be taken very reverently and seriously.
Thank you, Ivy! I'm not sure if I will read to people face to face or online, im open to both. I've been reading tarot for about 8 years now, mostly for myself, so I've got card meanings down. However, I did just purchase a new deck so I will need to practice with it until I get comfortable recognizing the new images, but I knew that I would have to do that.

I'm still working on the order of things. I'm not sure if you read my earlier post but I'm not too keen on someone else touching my cards to shuffle them. When I read for myself, I focus on the question while I shuffle. That won't work in this case though. So you suggest, have the question asked, then shuffle, then read..? Do you let the questioner shuffle the cards or cut the deck at all?

As far as ethics go, I hadn't really contemplated that yet. I'll have to think this one over for a minute. It's easy to say, I won't predict anyone's death, but I'm sure there are some others that I would want to stay away from as well that aren't as easy to think of. I really just want to be able to help people, not impress them or scare them.

Thanks for all the advice!

Rosie
Wimsaur

Post by Wimsaur »

I don't let anyone what handle my personal decks that I use for my own divination or mandala layouts.
I keep a separate deck that I allow other people to touch (a public deck) for giving readings to others.

Return to “Tarot Talk”