Just like "American Pickers"

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
evil ed

Just like "American Pickers"

Post by evil ed »

Greetings all!
The Wife and I just made a trip to an "Old Time" rock shop! We were on a buying trip for an online crystal/stone site we are planning on setting up. This place was REALLY out in the boonies. Traffic was backed up twice due to waiting our turn to pass the Amish in the buggies. This guy's shop is only open on Saturday, and by appointment only! With the exception of it being in his barn, it was like stepping back into 1968 rock shop. Rough rock was in bins along one wall, cut slabs were spread out all over one table, and there were barrels of rock outside in a fenced in area. I hit the barrels first.

Outside in the barrels there was a LARGE selection of Arizona petrified wood, Montana moss agate, mahogany, black, and snowflake obsidian, and LOTS of lace agate! I only had time to cherry pick one barrel of lace- I was looking for ones with a lot of red, then came across ones with a lot of green...... I get distracted easily- one full 5 gallon bucket there. Then I picked through just the tops of the Montana moss and the petrified wood- filled another bucket there.

After going in, we negotiated the price. He asked me what I was willing to pay, and I asked him how much he wanted. I told him how much I could get material for in a lapidary rock yard in Michigan, he said he could not match that. I told him I didn't think he could, but wanted to give him first shot because he was "local", and been a supporter of a local rock club. In the end, I got a good price! :D

Next, we started on the inside. there were two nice chunks of cabbing grade amethyst (about 2 lbs. each) and I grabbed them. Tiger's eye was in good supply, and I got 2 slabs of blue, one of variegated, and one of yellow, totaling just under 20 lbs. My Wife was picking through quartz points with black carbon inclusions, when she asked me "what's that on the top of the shelf, right above you?" There were two chunks of malachite- one just over 10 lbs., and the other just under 15 lbs.!- I got them both! All of this material had been there for years. the shop had been owned by his father many years before! there were several chunks of Idontknowite and more than a few pieces of gotnoideaite that I picked up that may pan out for me after positive identification.

Now I need to pick up a slab saw, a trim saw, an arbor, a flat lap.........
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!
Becks

Re: Just like "American Pickers"

Post by Becks »

That's wonderful!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gosh, I'm excited for you!
What a cool find.
Have you ever watched that reality program called Prospectors? Would seem digging for rocks to be a pretty risky business. Then you have claim jumpers...sheeze.
No wonder some stones are expensive.
They pulled out an amazonite on the most recent episode I saw that is apparently the best and biggest ever found, and worth so much my mind glazed over at the projected cost, ...I think the take for all the amazonite on that trip was in the $300,000.00's....woah...give me a shovel.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
evil ed

Post by evil ed »

Firebird, I've seen that show a few times. Colorado amazonite has really gone up in price over the last few years, however I noticed the values they were claiming on some of the other stuff (particularly the smoky quartz) were really way out of the ballpark. If I can find their buyer, I can retire next week!
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

Wow! That is an amazing find! My daughter would have loved to see all those stones,gems & crystals! Please let us know when you have your online store open. I will definitely be checking it out!
EtherealMoonRose
Banned Member

Post by EtherealMoonRose »

Wow, awesome find EE!

P.S i love that show :D
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night"

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”