Looking for a good Tarot book or two

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
Einarr

Looking for a good Tarot book or two

Post by Einarr »

I'm looking for a beginner to tarot book. I have The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by A. E. Waite. I do not know if it is just me or what but I do not find it very easy to follow. So I'm looking for something that is a bit more basic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My growth, positive or negative is my doing.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: looking for a good tarot book or two

Post by Xiao Rong »

Not a book, but the best tool I've seen so far is http://www.LearnTarot.com. It's free and even has a step by step "course" for beginners. I thought it was well-organized and systematic, with a lot of space for developing your own interpretation and understanding of the tarot.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Einarr

Post by Einarr »

Thanks I do like the idea of a course.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Best resource for understanding tarot is royal road. It's a website.
Einarr

Re: Looking for a good Tarot book or two

Post by Einarr »

Thanks mrsdavid I'll check it out.
Rathac

Post by Rathac »

When I began learning about the Tarot, I was taught to study each suit as a whole. For instance, when studying the meaning of the Wands, I spread out the entire suit to see the story it tells. Same for the Major Arcana, which is a story of spiritual progression.

When I was able to grasp the big picture in this manner, and it became easily discernible, the more subtle details of the cards became more apparent on their own with time and practice. It was never a matter of forced memorization, as the cards themselves show you everything you need to read them.

Every book, and every interpretation, can give you insight, particularly with specific symbols... but I would suggest simply spending more time with the cards, and being "creatively receptive" to the stories within them.
Wimsaur

Post by Wimsaur »

"The Book of Thoth" by Aleister Crowley has so much information you'll be rereading for years to get all of it.

Also, if you're particularly using the Rider Waite deck, "The Golden Dawn" by Israel Regardie, explorers the system of the magickians who created the deck. It includes many spreads, and much corresponding information relating the cards to astrology and Qabalah.

-Wimsaur.

Return to “Tarot Talk”