Hello from a curious soul :)

Say hello and tell us a little bit about you and your interests.
Pxthology

Hello from a curious soul :)

Post by Pxthology »

Hello all!

I'll get the basics out of the way: I'm 25, male, and I'm from Illinois.

My best friend when I was a young child's mother was Wiccan. I was very Christian. She taught me a bit about her beliefs because I was very curious (and a bit judgemental toward her :/ ). I learned to respect what she believed. Over the years, I grew out of my Christian beliefs (I'd like to just leave that at that). I've been spiritually lost for years, but always think back to her and my curiosity in what she believed has always stuck. I've found myself researching into it over and over, so I think its time for me to give this a shot. I agree with everything I've researched so far, and that's important. This isn't a decision made in haste and has been years coming I think. At this point I'm looking for an open community to learn and grow with that will welcome me on this journey, and I'm hoping this is the place for me to do that.

Thank you for having me. Please be open with me and honest. I'm an open book and I am quite friendly! Promise!
Feather&Stone

Re: Hello from a curious soul :)

Post by Feather&Stone »

Hello!! I'm glad you're pursuing what feels right for you! :) I'm Fawn. I'm 21 and have been studying on this path since I was 7. I'm in MI, so not too far!! Anywho, just wanted to say hello. So merry meet, and I look forward to seeing your posts!
Pxthology

Post by Pxthology »

Thank you for the warm welcome! It does feel "right" for once. Its a strange feeling of comfort that I cannot describe to accept this and to finally belong in life. Where to begin is the question. I've been bouncing around and reading for years, but have never started seriously. There's so much!
Feather&Stone

Post by Feather&Stone »

Pxthology wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome! It does feel "right" for once. Its a strange feeling of comfort that I cannot describe to accept this and to finally belong in life. Where to begin is the question. I've been bouncing around and reading for years, but have never started seriously. There's so much!
There is definitely a sense of peace that comes with having a direction! There is so much to learn...and as soon as you dive into one path or subject, you find 15 more! Lol. I think reading up on mythology, meditating, spending plenty of time outside and tracking the moon phases are really good ways to incorporate any pagan path into your life. Idk. I bounced around when I was starting, as well.
Pxthology

Post by Pxthology »

Would you, or any others, be able to recommend some beginners books (or pdf books online) to help get me started? It would be greatly appreciated :)
Jade Rose

Post by Jade Rose »

Hello there Pxthology!
Welcome to the forums and happy posting!

I'm no expert on books really, since I'm not exactly Wiccan but I do practice witchcraft. Some I learned through reading and some passed down from my mom and her family, let's say folk magick haha.
That being said, there are quite a few that I've always gone back to, I'd say Scott Cunningham's are good if you haven't read them before. He's got books on many topics.
There's also Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft which is actually one of my favorites. He has others as well but I haven't read them (yet). My most recent read was Instant Magick by Christopher Penczak. I don't know if it's along the lines of what you're looking for but I thought it was nice. It talked about meditation, visualization and intent. As the author describes it; the spells in his book require non-tangible ingredients so I found that part interesting.

Anyways, that's what I have read over the years.Not much I know but I hope it's helpful! :)
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Welcome to the forum.

Take a look through our Book Reviews subforum; it's in the Websites, Media and services section.
Pxthology

Post by Pxthology »

Thank you both! That is extremely helpful to start!

Meditation and dreams are something I'm very interested in, so I will definitely be looking in to that :)
Pxthology

Post by Pxthology »

I got 3 books by Scott Cunningham that I'm currently enjoying. Next I'm going to be getting Raymond Buckland's book that you suggested. Thank you so much! I'm feeling in a better place already :)
Becks

Post by Becks »

Welcome!
Jade Rose

Post by Jade Rose »

Pxthology wrote:I got 3 books by Scott Cunningham that I'm currently enjoying. Next I'm going to be getting Raymond Buckland's book that you suggested. Thank you so much! I'm feeling in a better place already :)
Awesome! Don't forget to check out the threads here. I'm sure you'll find interesting stuff all around. :)
Pxthology

Post by Pxthology »

I have been. There's lots of good info here.

I've also reached out to my friend's mother that I mentioned in my original post. I tracked her down via Facebook. I'm hopeful that she will take me under her wing. Still awaiting a reply from her though. Nervous about it because I'm the last person she would likely think of to ask such a thing :/
Jade Rose

Post by Jade Rose »

Pxthology wrote:I have been. There's lots of good info here.

I've also reached out to my friend's mother that I mentioned in my original post. I tracked her down via Facebook. I'm hopeful that she will take me under her wing. Still awaiting a reply from her though. Nervous about it because I'm the last person she would likely think of to ask such a thing :/
Ahh, she might be surprised but I think it's the good kind of surprise. Best of luck! I hope she agrees to it. It sounds nice to be honest. I definitely would have loved having an "official" mentor haha. :p
Pxthology

Post by Pxthology »

I'm sure hoping so. It seems like the best way to go about learning..
Jade Rose

Post by Jade Rose »

Haha don't worry, if all else fails there's always the knowledgable members here for you!

Annnnd practice makes perfect. :)

Return to “Member Profiles & Introductions”