Different Pendulums And Their Uses and other thoughts.

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
Silent Stream
Banned Member

Post by Silent Stream »

Wondering do most have a favorite pendulum ? Or Many use just one they trust and have created a bond with for all divination purposes. I know pendulums are kind like Tarot hundreds of different kinds, only with pendulums their seems to be a theory that different types of materials will produce different results. I know those who work with crystals and stones will answer that they use or have many pendulums, And might conclude this to be true.!

But is it? Would it be that the user has persuaded or entertained the thought that perhaps only certain stone can only be used for the task at hand. Im of the theory that if your intent is pure and and your aim or goal is to find the answer then it should not matter.

I understand as I am myself drawn to things because they resonate with my spirit,they just click with me. Im attracted to them,, and I must admit I love brass and I dont really know why. everything on my altar is brass with the exception of wand and Athame.

Just provoking thoughts here. Are brothers and sisters thousands of years before us had no mass media or metaphysical store to go to! They did not have billions of books to study, internet to search. What they had was each other, Im sure passed down from generation to generation was particular guidelines of course after all it is a practiced religion.

And im not trying to be critical here,just thought provoking. When one is inundated with so much information such as you tube and such how does this shape and form the way we think. Are we somehow manipulating are selves as a whole or do we Quote take advantage of all things offered of a spiritual nature.I question myself as well. I sometimes think and do use my hands as a wand and such pointed my intent,it feels natural.

Im not against the latest and coolest styles of pendulums offered out there I want more myself.But deep down inside I know I must trust my given instincts that after all these are just tools mass marketed at young and very willing buyers. I hope we still can stop and ask ourselves do I really need this 30.00 dollar pendulum with the pretty chakra stones all up and down the string, were does it all end.

I myself use a wooden pendulum and must admit watched a pretty convincing video how wood is not a conductor of energy, its not influenced buy positive or negitive energy around it and therefor bought one and have great results with it. But is it because it is wood or because of my me being in touch with my inner self my subconscious and using anything I have obtained to show me the answer.

Just wondering when I see that gorgeous tiger eye pendulum hanging there do I really need it ? Or was I quote drawn to it, does seem confusing doesnt it, just wondering were Im at sometimes as well and if to much time on you tube and not enough time in my room alone practicing what I know with my Gods is really the answer! I myself pray and hope I have enough inner voice in me amongst all the screaming voices out there to trust myself, know thyself and preserve in myself what I know to be true.So should i get the pretty one ? or the cool brass one next to it? Hummm?
Last edited by Vesca on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Vesca: Paragraph breaks.
Becks

Re: Different Pendulums And Their Uses and other thoughts.

Post by Becks »

Hey Silent Stream-this is such a wonderful and thought provoking thread. My own personal pendulum is ocean jasper with moonstone and it's made of silver. I could just as easily use twine and Washer, or a rock tied on to the bottom.

I have often found myself pondering this as well. In the end I do think that magical tools are just that-tools. A tool can serve as a symbol to focus energy, hold energy and direct intent. I think it does this because we believe it does. I don't own a wand. I use my hand and fingers. That being said, I think that objects have power. For you Americans out there-the Liberty Bell isn't just a bell. A guitar belonging to Jimi Hendrix is more than just a guitar. Any of you out there practice psychometry?

The wand of the magus, magical practitioner or ceremonial magician is a wand but it can become more....think of a treasured family heirloom-it's the same......these objects when used, loved, consecrated, are the focus of our energy become more. What happens to that energy? I think a magus creates a thought form and feeds it when they use that tool and ascribe meaning to it. Over time that energy can build and the thought form can persist. I have special tools that get use and have a great deal of meaning, some of these tools insoire me because of how they look. I chose them for myself so I am biased.

I think it's all about balance. I love shiny things, well made things.....they help me focus. These items evoke an emotion or feeling in me. The colour the light, the sheen all act to inspire me. I love rocks and crystals. I always have, but at the end of the day-my magic could be done, and often is done-without tools. I don't 'need' them.

Looking at people historically however, we have it in us to use tools. The use of the tool makes us human. I once saw, in person, one of our earliest known stone tools from Olduvai Gorge in Africa. It was approximately 1.5 million years old. When it was made, it wasn't even made by a human....it was made by our ancestors before we were 'us'. I had seen these tools in books as a student of anthropology....it is an iconic symbol. To see the real thing? No comparison. I was amazed by it's power, size, presence and deep refinement...this one was made of a quartzite substance....it sparkled......it was gorgeous and I didn't expect to feel that it would be that stunningly beautiful. It was as much aesthetic as it was a 'tool'.have you ever felt this way about something? I'll bet you have.

I think the other piece is that we get hung up the material culture. In North America we are quite commercial. We buy things and want the best sometimes....this can be misguided. As you say...I think the real power is in the act. The doing, the being, and not just looking the part. My most treasured and powerful items have come to me from the beach or the forest. They are a simple stone and cost less, environmentally speaking then some of my other items.

I'm completely guilty of this, but I think we do need to be mindful of what we purchase. As we purchase stones and crystals etc. we are depleting natural places that are/were powerful so that we can have some of that power in our homes or pockets. It's something to be aware of.

I don't find this to be a simple topic Silentstream, and I'm so glad you brought it up.
Silent Stream
Banned Member

Post by Silent Stream »

Greatings To Vancouver Island, The Name sound magical! Awsome,

My first wand I got was one I prayed about, to find the right one.I wanted it to be mine,one with special meaning,and bonding. So I hopped in the car and went to a place next to a electric power station and next to a stream in a somewhat wooded area and i opened the the door and got out walked around the car and looked down at a bunch of blowovers and there it was as if screaming at me ''Hey here I am'' I got my little hand saw and figured the length i felt would be good to cut and did so. Now whats neat about the wand is, 1 how I found it 2,it spoke to me the minute I saw it. 3,was it had a slight curve to it, the end were your hand goes I didnt need to cut so it had a ring shaped curve that fits around your pinky Thats what made this wand so cool, when you grasp it in the middle looking at it were your pinky goes it looks like a eagles head.

Really special wand for me. About a half year later,last year I went to a remote place here to be by myself its a small stream,as in my name Silent Stream. I like small streams.

And so I got out some cone incense in lit it and was doing head house cleaning crying and boohooing about some stuff I was going threw, so after that session was over I got what I thought i needed and was going to cross the stream to get to the other side it was about 20ft or so, well I almost made it to the other side to go home and slipped and fell hard pile jamed my knee into some rocks so I got up and was almost 2ft away from the other side when my eyes were drawn to a reed,or bamboo looking object just laying there like it was waiting for me . Its my new wand,and its awsome as well.

most might have got up and went home but I learned a lesson that day with my boohoo self, the lesson was even though Im in the right place doing the right thing thinking all is well and my little journey to the other side was easy i slipped and fell before I got to the other side. It hurt I was rewarded for my efforts but the pride level fell a few notches and thats what I needed to see and feel at the time the walk isnt so easy, like You Tube and others who like to fluff it all up theres some hard lessons to learn on this path and that day I learned some things and was rewarded for my effort!

Blessings my freind, Silent Stream
Last edited by Vesca on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Vesca: Paragraph breaks.
Becks

Post by Becks »

That's a wonderful lesson! :)
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

I learned about pendulums from my grandmother. She would just grab a sewing thread and her wedding band. Instant pendulum.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

mrsdavid1975 wrote:I learned about pendulums from my grandmother. She would just grab a sewing thread and her wedding band. Instant pendulum.
I did the same thing for a few years. I have my grandmother's ring which has quite a bit of weight to it and a thin necklace band. It worked pretty well for me and I think it is because I had already built a relationship with those items.

Now I have a smokey quartz pendulum that I enjoy using that was given to me as a gift and I love the feelings it gives off. Of course I have seen other pendulums and thought they were pretty, but I have never felt called to one just because it was nice to look at- I feel called to them because I like that energy... But to this day, I don't like anything quite as well as my smokey quartz.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Yes!! I will use pretty much anything. I also have a bunch of already made pendulums. I love those too. It depends on the topic, energy, mood. .. Where I am ... As to which I choose.
PistashioQueen

Post by PistashioQueen »

I thought me and pendulums were a no go. I was using my 3 for yes, no questions and they were inconsistent and inaccurate despite cleansing etc.
So the other night i wondered if they just had a different purpose and tried holding one over some of my chakras, which I more or less know which ones are blocked and my pendulum swung on the ones which were open =) so my amethyst pendulum wants to do healing/chakra diagnostics haha
PistashioQueen

Post by PistashioQueen »

But yes, I agree, as wonderful as the internet is, we are neglecting to trust ourselves - our instincts and own learning on what works for us.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I made my pendulum from a faceted crystal sun catcher and a Red String bracelet. Works for me. Although I love stones, crystals and sparkly doohickies, the things that I connect with are plain, unadorned from nature, or cobbled together to meet a need. Sun catchers are an admitted weakness of mine and are in every window, throwing columns of rainbows every which way and It's awesome entertainment for the cats.

Return to “General Divination”