Spell and rituals during Mercury Retrograde

General questions and conversations about astrology.
GenevieveDawn

Spell and rituals during Mercury Retrograde

Post by GenevieveDawn »

I was just thinking about this since we are going through a retrograde right now. Is it NOT a good idea to perform rituals or spells during this time? Any thoughts?
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Good question Gen,

I am a little ambivalent about retrogrades. No one knows really what to do with them. It is true that it changes the energy of a planet, but not always in ways that it traditionally seems. For some strange reason, there is a (sub)cultural hang up about Mercury retrogrades, yet many care littel about Saturn, Venus or Pluto retrogrades. Mercury travels backwards through the eliptic more often than the other planets, so perhaps this is why the 1960's astrologers made this a big issue. So does a retrograde mean a "turning back" or a kind of relapse? Yes and no, I suppose. I think that a planet in retrograde, in a sense, does revisit the recent past and works out some the incurred kinks. One time I had a car break down the moment Mercury went retrograde about 5 or 6 summer's ago. So, this would fit the traditional sense of retrograde as a "negative" time of the planet's energies. However, I have also had some wonderful experiences, like my thesis defense, for example, which went really really well during a Mercury retrograde. Thus, I typically don't worry too much about doing or not doing rituals during Mercury retrograde because Mercury is not one of my major planets. The ritual tells one when it is to be done regardless of the astrology. But, astrology does help one acquire a general structure to form rituals around. For me, when Venus is retrograde, which is my Scout planet, I usually don't push my will too much during these times. I just don't want to direct anything too far with the govening energy in my chart. I believe that Mercury is important to you, dear Virgo, so, because Mercury is a pronounced planet in your chart, then I would suggest taking the retrograde times for reflection and introspection rather than outbound spellcraft. Try more meditative craftwork--inner work--as opposed to spells involving too many aspects of the outer world. That said, great insights and, thus, leaps forward can happen to your thoughts and movements during this time, which is why I am as confused as anyone about retrogrades. They re-visit, re-evaluate, yet push the revised energies forward simultaneously. Pieces that move backwards have their traces in the future. Perhaps retrogrades are a way of making us re-consider the parameters of time and space..Backwards is forwards and forwards turns back. . .

blessings,

bsp
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Thanks Chris. I was hoping you would answer as you are so have so much knowledge on these sorts of things. I have read that it is a time for introspection for me rather than outward workings and that was where my heart was feeling anyway. You gave me the same answer so that's good.
On another note, me and a lady at the local metaphysical shop was talking about my son who as you remember is autistic. There of course is the big controvery about mercury and autism. She said that these children who have high levels of mercury in their systems are affected when mercury is in retrograde. What do you think about that? I had never really thought of it until she mentioned it. I've been definitely trying note if his behavior is different in anyway.

BB,

Gen
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
Elem

Post by Elem »

She said that these children who have high levels of mercury in their systems are affected when mercury is in retrograde. What do you think about that?
I don't know how this checks out in so far as metaphysical science goes, but.. Mercury, the planet and mercury, the element.. Aren't related in any physical sense. I can't imagine how the position of the planet would change how mercury in the blood affects an autistic child..

I'd love to be englightened, because thus far I'm just baffled and confused by the whole idea.

Elem
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Yeah, I had wondered about that. I can't remember that much from science class as to know what different planets are composed of. Even if a planet DID contain high levels of mercury how would that correlate to the behavior of someone w/ mercury in their body. I just listened to the woman at the time and now I've been pondering on the whole thing.
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

I just looked it up. They don't even know the composition of Mercury. NASA has something up there right now trying to figure the planet out. So I guess there can't be a correlation at all.
being-singular-plural

Well, distinctions are always important, it is true, but the entire notion of distinction presupposes the indistinct. "Mercury" as a term has various implications and all are distinct, but related. Every signifier is related to every other one so separating a word from itself can only distinctly reveal an arbitrary cutting or splitting of the word. Thus, to say that "this means that" always and only really says, "I believe" that such and such a word corresponds to such and such a meaning. Every utterance, every relation, may only speak the relation itself and nothing more--that is, that all that is indistinct is related to all that is distinct. Boundaries are always crossable.

Thus, Mercury can mean all these things and more importantly, that all these things do relate by association. Even the Ford-Mercury-Lincoln automobile maker has its signification traceable to the planet, the God, the element. Das Wört ist das Ding. . . Le nom signifié la chose. . .The words and the things---how do they really relate? It matters not--what matters is the relation itself, that has yet to be thought in our age.

Onto to concrete question at hand. . .since part of Mercury's vast significatory meanings, the fact that the God Mercury is the mighty communicator and that which makes relation possible. The Greeks called this concept Logos and it connotes the greatest divine gift that allows life to relate to itself and beyond. I ask you, what isn't Relation?

Autism is a condition that always affects communication, thus the correlation is easy. Here's what I suggest to try out her theory Gen--try obtaining a piece of Cinnabar Quartz that has many red flecks (cinnabar quartz is usually white and green with red). The red areas are Mercury. This stone has incredible energy and has the potential to do wonders for you and your son. I would be interested to hear about this experiment, so tell me if and when you get the stone and start working with it. Heaven and Earth in Vermont have a great selection of Cinnabar; here's the link:

http://www.heavenandearthjewelry.com/

Blessings,

bsp
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

I always love reading your replies Chris. I always envision you as a philosophy proffesor or something. Anyway, I never thought about how Mercury governs communication and the mercury in the body and communication deficits, how it all can tie together. It always amazes what others not directly involved in a situation can see.

As for the stone, it is definitely one that I don't have. What do you think would be a good way for me to use it on him. He wouldn't carry it in his pocket, nor would he let me lay it on him. I could sew it into his coat, but then it wouldn't have direct contact. Possibly in pj's or something?

I read in a book of mine somehwere about leaving your stone in water for x amount of time and then drinking the water to gain some of the stones energy. Have you heard about this and what do you think? That would work for him and hell I'd be doing it for myself with all my stones if it works.
being-singular-plural

Hi Gen,

WHat you are talking about is typically called an "elixir" and this can be done with any stone with a hardness of more than 6 (on the M.O.H. scale). Cinnebar, unfortunately, cannot be used as an elixir. It is always good to check carefully before making an elixir as some stones contain poisonous elements. For example, Lapis Lazuli should not be used as an elixir because it has a high lead content. Similarly, and this is why I suggested Cinnebar, cinnebar quartz has high amounts of pure Mercury in it. Thus, it should not be ingested in any way. I suggest that when you get the stone you hang onto it and work with it, and use it on him when he is sleeping--you could try placing it on his throat chakra and his third eye chakra while laying hands on him--one never knows what could happen! Let me know if there is more I can offer by way of advice. I think that this stone will cause subtle changes for both of you, and perhaps not-so-subtle changes too! Bonne Chance!!

bsp

Return to “Astrology and Zodiac”