Spells, Rituals and Casting.

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
ekleipsis

Spells, Rituals and Casting.

Post by ekleipsis »

Hello everyone!
I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me. I've been studying very hard lately in order to become a Wiccan, and as I journey down my path, I am slowly building a modest altar and gathering tools. I was wondering if someone could tell me if I need to cast a circle for every spell or every time I do something ritualistically including calling the four corners, etc. As I'm unsure what God/Goddess / Pantheon I'm following, I wasn't really sure how to begin going about my work. I'm meditating deeply on this topic, but can someone tell me how it's meant to go? For example, I recently made a wand, and have acquired an athame. Should I wait til the next fullmoon to get all my work done? Or should I go ahead and consecrate the tools under the current moon? Does a circle need be cast to do so? If someone could walk me through this, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks so much!

:flyingwitch:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Spells, Rituals and Casting.

Post by SnowCat »

Your questions have probably been addressed in other threads. The forum has a search function up in the top right hand corner. If you put in some parameters, it should pop up with relevant threads.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
ekleipsis

Post by ekleipsis »

Snow Cat, I've been looking, thank you. I have found a few answers to other questions, but not these quite yet. I was just wondering if anyone could clarify.
Becks

Post by Becks »

Okay, you have a lot going on here in terms of questions. I am not the most "Wiccan" person here. I'm more the solitary practitioner undefined and not otherwise specified....I was part of a Wiccan coven and initiated into the tradition but it wasn't for me, so I can't speak to the kind of Wiccan practice you wish to follow. I can only talk about my experience and feelings on any given topic. There are many ways to practice. I think you first need to follow the great suggestion and keep reading the forums. You need to have a list of your questions and slowly research. This forum is wonderful and there is a wealth of knowledge, but it isn't the only place you should be getting your information. Posted in the active threads is one that links to a good reading list. Check it out.

Do you cast a circle each time? Well I find wiccans specifically do. They also do it in ways that vary but the essence is the same. I would look into that if I were you. It is wise to focus and protect yourself each time you begin magical work. Casting circles is one way to do that. If I were you, I would read about why those things are important.

I would worry about patron deities later. That tends to come with workings, study and signs...overall familiarity and it will add dimension to your practice. While you are where you are now, it's less important.

I don't know what you mean by "how your work is meant to go". I can't tell you that....I think that is the personal part of this path. We all walk it alone. I can only suggest learning the basics and moving from there. I think you should look into the wheel of the year. Learn the sabbats and esbats and correspondences and energies.....that's pretty foundational stuff for a Wiccan.

I would look at what the moons are for, and which energy is associated with which phase of the moon. The truth is you can do whatever you want, and if you don't want to do it along the lines of moon phase then that's fine. Many people will tell you to follow your instincts. You will have to get comfortable with the following of your instincts because that is what this path is about....granted, Wiccans do have their practices.

Currently the moon is waning. Does what you want to do correspond with that energy? Do you care? These are all questions to ask yourself.

I can't walk you through it step by step for two reasons. I'm not "Wiccan" (I don't practice that way), and I'm not you. It's your intensely personal journey. Take what I have said with a grain of salt. Read the threads.....read the books and then do a gut check and follow the voice inside.

Does that help?
EtherealMoonRose
Banned Member

Post by EtherealMoonRose »

Hello :-)

Ill try and answer your questions as best as I can.

Being wiccan myself, I always cast a circle before I do spell work, rituals and even meditation. It creates a sacred space, a world between worlds, and keeps anything negative out. So yes, I would advise you to cast a circle every time you plan on doing any spell/ritual etc.

Like Becks said, I wouldn't worry about patron deities right now. They will come in time. Or maybe not at all! (I still haven't found my patrons after 14 years)

I would suggest that you first cleanse your tools before any spell work. You can do this by leaving them out in the sunlight/moonlight for 24 hours (this is my preferred way, but what works for me may not work for other people). This also charges your tools with solar/lunar energy. You could wait for the full moon, but I don't always charge my tools under a full moon :-) consecrating is slightly different to cleansing/charging. You can say a simple prayer with your hands over your tools. You could also burn some sage and run your tools through it. There are several other ways you can do this also!

Regarding 'how it should go' well that's a pretty personal thing. What works for other people may not work for you. I hope this helps.

Blessings.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night"
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Ritual circles are not something we must do. They shouldn't get in the way of our work, but support it. Circles hold the energy we raise until we release it & serve as a barrier to keep out stray energy. If those aren’t concerns then no circle is needed.
. The simplest circle is to make 3 passes: 1. sprinkle lightly salted water 🔄 to purify & introduce earth/water, 2. light 🥢 incense to intro air/fire; 3. walk ↩️ as you pull power on the breath to the solar plexus, point-&-push👉🏼 to cast. Summoning is not required as the elements are present.
. Consecrating should be within a circle - cleanse the tool, fume, anoint with oil & 🙌🏽 magnetize

Free book
https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/relig ... tioner.pdf

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”