The Rider Waite Deck

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
Vesca

The Rider Waite Deck

Post by Vesca »

I could never get comfortable with the Rider Waite deck. I've used other decks that have similar pictorals and identical systems, but something about the artwork never really resonated with me.

Use what works best for you, don't feel like you need to learn a certain thing or use a specific deck just because it's the most commonly mentioned.
Silent Stream
Banned Member

Re: The Rider Waite Deck

Post by Silent Stream »

You're right, I'm sure it's a good deck just doesn't do it for me.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Oops! I commented on a few of your threads and made mention to comparisons to Rider-Waite decks. Disregard! It works for me!

Rosie
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Silent Stream wrote:Is it just me but it seems like my rider deck is a for me anyway a somewhat negitive deck to work with. I have three books on how to use the deck and am more times than not get depressing readings,I have done so much better with the Thoth deck,I have the mirror of the soul book I use with it , I seem to have better readings and more learning and positivity from the thoth deck than the rider. not that the thoth is always peaches and cream but I seem drawn to it and want to use it more than the rider. Ive been pushing myself very hard to learn the rider deck, but the thoth seems to be a kindred spirit,maybe I answered my own question!! anyone want to share thoughts? :|
There are really three types of tarot, 1) The Waite Smith 2) The Thoth 3) The (TdM) Tarot de Marseille. Usually a person loves only one and it seems that you prefer the Thoth which I see as actually darker than the Waite deck but that is probably my issues with it's author and the background.
Have you tried the Universal Waite or the Golden Waite or perhaps one of the Pamela Smith Commemorative decks? They are all the same symbolism but coloured differently.

When you say you have the Rider deck do you mean the original Rider Waite deck? (Rider is the publisher of many decks)

Return to “Tarot Talk”