Questions about runes

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
SnowdropFlower

Questions about runes

Post by SnowdropFlower »

Hello guys!

I'm more likely attracted to the divination part of witchcraft considering that I got my first tarot cards around the age of 12-13. Anyway, getting more into tarot, I heard about runes along the way.

I know that there's different runes. I've seen sets of 8, 13 and 24 (Maybe there's more. I don't know to be honest.) Why are there different sets? Do they represent different gods/goddesses/practices? How do you read them?
I'm sorry if my questions sounds dumb :oops:

I'd like to make my own sets of runes and it felt like 8 runes was the easiest to start with.
Overall, what would you guys recommend to start with? What material should I use?

Thanks for letting me know!
Vesca

Re: Questions about runes

Post by Vesca »

I would honestly start by picking up a few books by Edred Thorsson. Runes aren't like Tarot, they don't read like Tarot, and they represent forces of the universe and energy vibrations rather than concepts and personalities like the Tarot is often associated with.

They're much more versatile, they don't always answer questions regarding life situations like the Tarot does (i.e. instead of getting an answer telling you to slow down and savor the moment, you may get something telling you that you're going about the situation in the wrong way and it's from some core life situation that you've grown from).

It's probably a better idea to get a bit of a handle on what the runes represent and how to connect with them before trying to use them in any kind of divination.

One of the perks of Edred's books is that there are actually instructions on how to create your runes. :)

The different sets vary with the different regions and eras. Basically they evolved and varied depending on who was using them, and where and when they were being used. This is covered in Edred's books too.
SnowdropFlower

Post by SnowdropFlower »

Thanks for the book suggestion! I'm trying to pick up a few books to read too to get to know more.
And also thanks for telling me more about this! I did a few researches on google, but I felt like they were either rushing into it or just showing the different runes without going much into details so it's refreshing to get a clear answer.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Runes are so... complex. Their meanings can take pages just to try to get a working handle on the origin of their name and why they have that name association, not to mention the actual energy association, the myths associated with it, their real world applications, etc... There's really no good way to get a good cursory overview of them without reading a couple books.

Runecasters and Vitkis study for decades, and even then the majority will never be able to call themselves a true rune master.

Most people aren't really qualified or interested in writing out that much detail and explanation if they aren't getting paid to do it, and for reading you want someone who has a good idea of what they're talking about. :)
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

In the beginning, when the creative Force/Spirit/God/etc manifests itself, it first sets itself into Form. It does this so that its infinitude can become a finite structure to act with. These Forms are symbolic representation of primordial Sound (the creative Force), we call them Runes or Letters.

The basic idea behind the Runes is that sound creates, and when you pronounce these sounds in certain orders, or when these sounds present themselves in certain orders, you can create substance or determine the underlying structure to reality.

Working with the Runes/Letters is associated with the Qabalah.

But my favorite part is meditating on the Letters/Runes. This is the only way you will have experiential knowledge of their energy. The technique is to draw a Rune or Letter onto a piece of paper and stare at it until your eyes become heavily watered, while vibrating the sound it represents (for example, drawing out the letter 'R' while vibrating 'rrrrrrrrr').

Once your eyes are heavily watered, close them and try to maintain a mental visualization of the letter, while at the same time opening yourself to receive the letter's influence.

Broken down, this techniques is two parts -- tuning to the specific wavelength, and then receiving the information. It takes practice, but this is the appropriate way of understanding Runes or Letters :)

And as a disclaimer, when done correctly and for the appropriate length of time, this meditation will induce what is commonly called a shamanic vision, or an altered state of consciousness. These can be startling at first, and always make sure to ground yourself for a few days after the experience.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Snowdropflower! Runes are a pretty big term for really any divinatory system based on some kind of letters or symbols, as opposed to cards. You'll find that the most common one used by witches is the Elder Futhark, which is 24 runes (sometimes 25 with the addition of a blank rune piece). This is based off of an old Norse alphabet that has historically been used for magical purposes. I think that books are a great way to get started on them. Sunnyway is also a great resource for the Elder Futhark, and here's a guide on starting out that I wrote a few years back. But there are other rune sets out there too -- I was introduced to the [url=hhttp://shekhinah.net/Womanrunes.htm]Womanrunes[/url] system developed by Shekhinah Mountainwater a few years back, and I've been meaning to learn them.

Like Vesca & Corvidus said, there are lots of different ways to get to know the runes, whether it's by reading up on them or practicing their sounds. I've even heard of eating the runes to get to know them (author Freya Aswynn baked a batch of cookies, inscribed the runes onto them, and ate them one at a time and recorded her observations!). I would say -- take your time, and slowly. Get to know the history behind them first. You don't need to memorize them all at once. Find yourself a set of runes, and start playing with them (one great way to practice is to offer free readings)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

corvidus wrote: Once your eyes are heavily watered, close them and try to maintain a mental visualization of the letter, while at the same time opening yourself to receive the letter's influence.

Broken down, this techniques is two parts -- tuning to the specific wavelength, and then receiving the information. It takes practice, but this is the appropriate way of understanding Runes or Letters :)

And as a disclaimer, when done correctly and for the appropriate length of time, this meditation will induce what is commonly called a shamanic vision, or an altered state of consciousness. These can be startling at first, and always make sure to ground yourself for a few days after the experience.

I've never stared at a rune on paper before and have still been able to connect properly. :) Do what works for you. Some sing, some dance, some use Stanzas, some find instruments that sound "right" for the vibrational energy. Everyone is different.

Try not to hurt your eyes, either of you! ^^

I still find my best understandings and connections to the runes in the stories and myths that describe them.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi SnowdropFlower. As Xiao noted, there are many kinds of "runes" from many different cultures, generally speaking, for instance the Adinkra of West Africa (http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25956.html). But the ones you may be talking about are probably the Nordic rune system, which is very popular in Western culture. If so, be sure to learn about the Eddas and study Odin, as Nordic runes are connected to these things (a Heathen member here, Holdasown, could speak in depth about these things). Also, peruse some posts in the rune subforum, lots of good threads there: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum/forum162.html

I really like the "experiential" emphasis in cordivus's comment below as regards Nordic runes. I have noticed that unlike tarot where you look at or read about the imagery to experience it, the runes can be much more interactive, with an emphasis on utilizing the power of their sounds, this being as importance as, if not moreso than their appearance. In ancient Indian spirituality there is a similar correlation between sound and "creation." With Sanskrit syllabary itself, as well as with yantra images, one could meditate on certain of them, some of which have their own key\tone and affect certain chakras in the physical and spiritual bodies, etc.
corvidus wrote:These Forms are symbolic representation of primordial Sound (the creative Force), we call them Runes or Letter. The basic idea behind the Runes is that sound creates, and when you pronounce these sounds in certain orders, or when these sounds present themselves in certain orders, you can create substance or determine the underlying structure to reality....But my favorite part is meditating on the Letters/Runes. This is the only way you will have experiential knowledge of their energy. The technique is to draw a Rune or Letter onto a piece of paper and stare at it until your eyes become heavily watered, while vibrating the sound it represents (for example, drawing out the letter 'R' while vibrating 'rrrrrrrrr').receiving the information. It takes practice, but this is the appropriate way of understanding Runes or Letters :)
This reminds me of a vid I saw of someone explaining the chanting of Nordic runes, what they call Galdr in Norway (and Seidr, pronounced "sayth," being that which is often described as magic\shamanic practices associated with these runes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvntjvcoO6g.

I don't know, it seems a lot got lost in the translation when Nordic runes became popularized in America, because I don't see much mention of these things in regard to their use here, beyond just divination. Bindrunes themselves are a type of perpetual spell, a sigil of sorts. It sounds like bindrunes is what corvidus refers to when he says, "when you pronounce these sounds in certain orders, or when they present themselves in certain orders," but I'm not sure if that's what he meant. But, bindrunes make beautiful and powerful pendants or tattoos, and you will sometimes see them on clothing or artwork as decorative yet protective symbols.

I think the goal is to manifest in this world (Midgard) that which helps us live in harmony with ourselves, with the spirits around us, and with our environments. The more I learn of them, the more I get the sense that runes of any culture are an actuating force, just as alive as we are! :wink:

Return to “General Divination”