Magick Journal 101-- White Mirror, Black Mirror

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
corvidus

Magick Journal 101-- White Mirror, Black Mirror

Post by corvidus »

Readers: Please keep in mind the statement made in the following post soley reflect the ideas of its writer, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts, opinions and spiritual beliefs of other members of this message board, including the moderator/support staff, as well as the message board owner. Thanks. --Moderator

Hello everyone ;)

This is a bare bones beginners guide answering the question on where someone new to the practice should begin.

I find it important to say (even if you don't believe it), that the practice of Magick in general -- one branch of which is Wicca -- is a form of spiritual development. Some of the goals of a magickal practice include learning about, and how to interact with, what lies beyond the physical form.

Keeping that in mind, a very common practice in Magick is to keep a Journal. It's a bit different from a Book of Shadows. The Book of Shadows is a place for information on spells and incense, entities, and etc., whereas the Journal is the place to let your mind open, wander and discover itself.

But where to start with the journal? And how to go about developing yourself with it?

Good questions. Here is a simple meditation to begin with:

The White Mirror and the Black Mirror
There are two parts of our consciousness, the 'Good/Light/White' side and the 'Bad/Dark/Black' side. These two are in a continual struggle for our attention. This exercise will give them both the attention they need and deserve, while at the same time helping you better understand your Self (in my opinion, the first step in understanding Magick is through understanding the Self).

Mark off two columns in your journal. The first is the White Mirror, the second is the Black Mirror.

The White Mirror:
Write down in this column everything about yourself you're proud of:
On the physical level -- your hair, tattoos, the things you own that make you happy, etc.
On the emotional level -- things that make you happy, and the situations which make you respond in a good way
On the mental level -- what are your mental strengths? which areas of study do you like, which ones are you good at?
On the Spiritual level -- If you are religious, what things about this religion do you like? If not religious, what things in
Nature do you like? What situations in life do you have that are of great benefit?

The Black Mirror:
Write down in this column everything about yourself you're not proud of:
On the physical level -- what about yourself do you hate?
On the emotional level -- what situations have mad you sad or emotionally anxious/stressed? why did they make you feel this way?
On the mental level -- where do you lack strength, what areas of study do you despise?
On the Spiritual level -- If you're religious, what don't you like about the religion you follow? What, from a spiritual perspective (from a place of purity and peace, a place without judgement) causes you the most frustration about how you view the world? What past or current situations in life do you see as obstacles in the way of your development?

Try and start from your earliest memory in life, and work your way through every situation you've ever been in, and find which column those experiences belong to. Anything and Everything should be written down until you reach a point where you have covered your whole life. After that, the meditation is done (but it's something I'd recommend you continue).

The point of this meditation is not to try and get more 'Good' things then 'Bad' things. It's about coming to an understanding about who you really are inside that head of yours.

The benefits of this meditation are many, the major one I've noticed is that it provokes a change in attitude towards yourself and life. Don't think you have to do it all in one sitting. Take a week or two if you need it. I'm sure things will keep popping up.
ashtree

Re: Magick Journal 101-- White Mirror, Black Mirror

Post by ashtree »

wow I love this for many reasons. I started to do this exercise and it made me so happy when I got to the "black mirror" part because... well, I just couldn't find that many things! Physically I'm not perfect and nobody is, but all I could find to write is that my hair isn't as long as I want it to be (but on my white mirror, the length of my hair is an accomplishment that I'm proud of and was actually the first thing I wrote) I'm not sure if maybe I wasn't delving deep enough into my subconscious to find the things I didn't like about the world and myself, but it really made me realize that even things that I'm unhappy with are just part of the journey and aren't set in stone at all.
I love this, it really made me think! :D
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

This sounds like the magickal version of a book I'm reading...

Journalution: Journaling to Awaken Your Inner Voice,
Heal Your Life, and Manifest Your Dreams-Sandy Grason
I got this mainly to heal real bad memories, help me work
thru them to where they don't bother me like they do now.
Okay Ladies(and men!), it's time for my show "Dead Files"
(travel channel).
G'night all
Gentle Indigo Light
MsMollimizz

[/color]
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Annie.K