Spells for mental health?

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
Blue

Spells for mental health?

Post by Blue »

My best friend was diagnosed with 3 different mental disorders, all of which tie into each other...sorta.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a spell of some sort to help her with that? Being fairly new to magick/wicca I wouldn't attempt to cast it yet, but when the time comes for me to start casting spells and all of that fancy stuff, this is one of the things I would like to do. My friend means the world to me and I just want to help her out is all.

Thanks,

Blue.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: Spells for mental health?

Post by Seraphin »

Hiya blue!

Please read this post: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 30309.html

While there's no doubt in my mind that magick and/or spiritual work could help you deal mental disorder, its still important to note that, we shouldn't desist from medical/psychiatric treatment regimen in its stead. Working with spells to deal this problem alone could be dangerous so curing mental illness must be done under the careful guidance of a mental health professional.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I'm pretty sure she will be seeing a psychiatrist from now on, however I'm not 100% sure on it.

Thankyou anyway.

Blue.
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

Is she open to talk about her mental issues? If she is then try to ask her if shes seeing one.

As I said there are spells which I personally crafted that could help her protect against depression, anxiety, and facilitate greater self-control but its very signifant to know if shes getting adequate medical support!
Seraphin

Blue

Post by Blue »

She only told me about her diagnosis yesterday. She knew she had one of the disorders, but not the other two, and she talks openly-ish about it with me, not so much other people though. I'm not sure how long exactly she has been diagnosed, but it was around last Tuesday/Wednesday I felt something change whilst talking to her. I knew something was up, I just never mentioned anything to her.

I'll try asking her tomorrow, however.
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

Alright, well then give us some updates tommorow.
Seraphin

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

In addition to the suggestions above about not treating magic as a substitute for professional help, I would also encourage you to talk to her about it and ask for her consent. I know of some people for whom their conditions are not something they necessarily want "cured" but are just a part of who they are and how they see the world (e.g. bipolar, autism), and so would not necessarily want them removed, per se. So I would recommend talking to her about it and asking her what she would need (for instance, she may not want a cure but might appreciate something for greater self-control or whatever).

There are a few mental illnesses where talking about magic and spells would be actively counterproductive. For people who have paranoia, it may only exacerbate their symptoms to think that someone is tinkering with their brain magically. So in those instances, I would just back off and encourage them to get professional help.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Since the importance of professional care is already covered, I'm just going to say that comorbidity (multiple diagnoses in mental health) is a really common thing. A lot of the time there is something of a "root" diagnosis, and then anxiety, depression, or others tend to develop with it due to both the internal, external, and biochemical strain of the body and mind working its way through something.

If your friend has just been diagnosed, I would really give her the time to adjust before offering any kind of spell. She needs to be able to find her footing before she starts taking those kinds of steps, and she needs to do that first with the help of her doctor, a counselor or psychologist, and with the understanding that she has a support network outside of the medicinal realm (i.e. her family and friends - you) who will accept her and try to understand and who will be there to talk to her when she needs to talk to somebody.

When she finds herself a little more steady, you could look into getting her a worry stone. Just something to keep in her pocket that she can hold or rub when she starts to feel alone or a little overwhelmed, and it can serve as a reminder that she's not alone. It's not a spell, more like a psychological reminder to pick up the phone if she needs to, but it can be helpful.

It also may help to read through some of the other threads in this forum to see what has worked for other people. :)

Return to “Mental Health”