What made you start to practice magic/witchcraft/wicca?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
*Whispers in the Night*

when it all began for me

Post by *Whispers in the Night* »

well my friend laura and her mother helped me follow the path to witchcraft.i think it was meant to be that i see them and learn more.
they have been praticing it for a very long time and i always wanted to know more.when i was a little kid though i often wondered about spirits and what happens to us all.i knew this is what i needed to be believing when laura and maryann came into my life and introduced witchcraft and paganism in my life.i pratice alone and with them still and im still learning.ive been praticing for 3yrs.i am 16.
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

This is where everyone usually smacks me upside the head for being oblivious. I have the tendency to walk/stumble/hobble to my own drum and then become very confused when I look up and no one else is with me.

I was raised Christian - Anglican to be exact. But, like I said, I move to my own drum. Among my friends, I am the only who was actually thrown out of Bible school - now get this part - for quoting the Bible. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it happens. My father, who was raised Catholic and then went to a British boarding school, teases me about my need for ritual in religion, but only because he's the same way.

I went through eight years of Catholic schooling under a set of very liberal nuns. I mean, liberal. As in, let's give them charts on birth control so they know what they're doing, liberal. In junior high, we celebrated the saints' days and learned their importance (and few things are freakier for a kid than getting her throat blessed on St. Blaise's Day). In any case, we were taught basic meditation under their guidance and some techniques that are similar to Circle castings.

Then several things happened. I attend a college where we celebrate the solstices and equinoxes with long standing tradition, as well as an established traditional worship of Athena. We sometimes joke that we're a cult, but we sort of are. The freshmen are even initiated with black robes (the only color you are allowed to wear on that night) and Greek chanting. It's a wonderfullly welcoming atmosphere and seeking out the spiritual side of life is always encouraged. (Other than that, we are fiercely academic geeks who wouldn't know a Bud Light can if it hit us on the forehead.)

When I came home from college, I was in a bookstore with a Wiccan friend and she gave me a book, wanting me to understand her religion more. I read it, quite interested because I was feeling a bit lost without Athena, and realised that a lot of the things that were being called magic and witchcraft, I was already doing.

Also, it sort of runs with the women in my mother's family (and my mother hates but respects that fact). My grandmother had prophetic dreams. My mother can see portents in the sky. I can do the same with the wind.

So that's my story. I've been doing witchcraft longer than I know. Mostly because I didn't realise it was witchcraft. Wow, that's long.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight
Aubrey Rose5

hmm

Post by Aubrey Rose5 »

well with me i guess i was always drawn to it ever sinse i was little but diddnt really get involved untill the past year really adn i enjoy it quite a bit and feel it is my calling but this site helped me tons

blessed be

Aubrey
love is not made by magick it comes only from the heart
faery of the sage brush

Why I choose this path

Post by faery of the sage brush »

I read your question of why some of us chose to be pagan. I made that decision my freshman year of high school. I didn't really believe in anything before that, never got along with very many religions, they didn't make sense to me or I didn't agree with something about them. My gay boyfriend (yes, he really is gay) passed me a note in the hall going to class one day asking if I believed in magic. At lunch I had asked him what he had ment by that and he explained that him and some other friends of mine were wiccan and were looking for others to add to their coven. He said that he had been watching me and thought I might be interested. I told him I would have to think about it, read into it and figure it out on my own. I did just as I said and was surprised. You see I am Native American and was raised with a lot of my peoples traditions, and what I had read about wicca had reminded me a lot of how I was raised and what I did believe. I said yes to his coven and have been practicing and learning ever since.
BlackenedRose*

Post by BlackenedRose* »

I consider myself quite deep and spiritual for my age, and have been doing a lot of soul-searching these past two years. I read a lot of scientific books, and they opened up a lot of wonderful images in me, for example the vastness of space and the wondeful coincidence that brought us here. However, science showed these images, stated that they existed and moved on, and I wanted to explore more. After a lot of reading, I came to my path and found that it fitted.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”