Tarot vs oracle?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Tarot vs oracle?

Post by RosieMoonflower »

What are oracle cards? I use tarot cards but don't know anything about oracle cards or angel cards..? What is the difference between these and tarot cards? Thanks!

Rosie
littlepsychic

Re: Tarot vs oracle?

Post by littlepsychic »

Oracle cards serve the same purpose as tarot cards. The 78 cards in tarot are divided into arcana. The minor arcana is broken down into suits (cups, pentacles, etc) which all have their own meaning. Oracle cards don't have this kind of structure; they vary but aren't usually very structured apart from a theme.

It really depends on what works best for you. Personally I find oracle cards to be more positive :) .
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

littlepsychic wrote:Oracle cards serve the same purpose as tarot cards. The 78 cards in tarot are divided into arcana. The minor arcana is broken down into suits (cups, pentacles, etc) which all have their own meaning. Oracle cards don't have this kind of structure; they vary but aren't usually very structured apart from a theme.

It really depends on what works best for you. Personally I find oracle cards to be more positive :) .
Thank you! So are oracle cards and "angel cards" the same thing?
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

There is somewhat of a big difference between the two in my opinion, quite honestly. Tarot cards are usually more in depth with what their meanings hold and I view them as being more thorough where as Oracle cards basically give their meaning right off the bat and are pretty straight forward. Oracle cards don't really have a set structure where as Tarot has a structure and as littlepsychic mentioned, they have different suits. All of the oracle cards I've seen say things like "Blessing, Happiness, Love" and so on. They basically just say what to expect within the title and don't really give in-depth responses to questions. I always see them as something being used for a quick response where I see Tarot as being used for a deeper reading into a situation to get more facts and opinions from the cards.

This, of course, is just what I've found and somewhat of my opinion, but hopefully that can help you! (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Thank you Sakura Blossom! I ask because I've been reading Tarot cards for about 2 years or more now and I'm currently looking into getting involved with archangels. I was curious if Angels worked better with oracle or angel cards than they do tarot cards. My tarot cards are filled with angels in the for and background. But I was just curious if they were more inclined to work with oracle/angel cards. I think as long as I'm trying to work with them and am in good intentions they should be receptive to my cards. But again was just curious if they had an appreciation for a different form of divination.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

To be honest, I think no matter what you're using it should be fine to use them. (: Especially because your tarot already has them. There really is no right or wrong way for anything. If you think that it will work, try it out and see how it goes! Practicing something like this yourself will tell you better than any of us here could. (: I hope they work well, though, that sounds promising!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "angel cards" ? If you're referring to something like the Doreen Virtue Angel decks, those are classified as oracle cards. They just have a specific theme of angels.

For over a decade I used Tarot, and now I almost always use my Oracle decks. While the Tarot always give me a better sense of the overall picture and flow of things, the Oracle helps me in the moment with specific challenges. At this point in my life, I have a pretty good idea of my surroundings, how I got to where I am now, what forces are acting upon it, and where I'm headed (more or less). But it's coping with my immediate surroundings and keeping my mind in the "now" that I've been needing to focus on.

It's already been mentioned, but just because: Tarot decks are built upon the (mostly) identical structure with the arcana, minors and suit cards. Most decks have 78 cards, a couple have more (Thoth deck, for example). Oracle decks have no universal structure and the number of cards will vary from deck to deck.

I use both, depending on what I'm looking at. I will get different answers and different types of responses depending on which deck I use, so it really depends on the day. I will say if you're curious, that it's probably worth the time and energy to investigate further and find a deck that speaks to you to work with.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Tarot vs oracle?

Vesca wrote:Could you elaborate on what you mean by "angel cards" ? If you're referring to something like the Doreen Virtue Angel decks, those are classified as oracle cards. They just have a specific theme of angels.

For over a decade I used Tarot, and now I almost always use my Oracle decks. While the Tarot always give me a better sense of the overall picture and flow of things, the Oracle helps me in the moment with specific challenges. At this point in my life, I have a pretty good idea of my surroundings, how I got to where I am now, what forces are acting upon it, and where I'm headed (more or less). But it's coping with my immediate surroundings and keeping my mind in the "now" that I've been needing to focus on.

It's already been mentioned, but just because: Tarot decks are built upon the (mostly) identical structure with the arcana, minors and suit cards. Most decks have 78 cards, a couple have more (Thoth deck, for example). Oracle decks have no universal structure and the number of cards will vary from deck to deck.

I use both, depending on what I'm looking at. I will get different answers and different types of responses depending on which deck I use, so it really depends on the day. I will say if you're curious, that it's probably worth the time and energy to investigate further and find a deck that speaks to you to work with.
Think that clears it up for me, Vesca! I think that I had just heard angel cards and oracle cars used for the same thing. I was just seeing if there was a difference. Thank you! I need to research oracle cards more as well as this Thoth deck. (Thoth as in Egyptian god Thoth?) My goal is to use cards and crystals to communicate with the angels.
littlepsychic

Post by littlepsychic »

Rosie wrote:
littlepsychic wrote:Oracle cards serve the same purpose as tarot cards. The 78 cards in tarot are divided into arcana. The minor arcana is broken down into suits (cups, pentacles, etc) which all have their own meaning. Oracle cards don't have this kind of structure; they vary but aren't usually very structured apart from a theme.

Thank you! So are oracle cards and "angel cards" the same thing?
I'm not too sure what angel cards are! Sorry I couldn't be more help in that department but Vesca has a really good answer :) .
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Rosie wrote:Think that clears it up for me, Vesca! I think that I had just heard angel cards and oracle cars used for the same thing. I was just seeing if there was a difference. Thank you! I need to research oracle cards more as well as this Thoth deck. (Thoth as in Egyptian god Thoth?) My goal is to use cards and crystals to communicate with the angels.

I believe it is. The deck was designed by Aleister Crowley and has 80 cards (3 magus-magician cards, because he thought they were of particular importance). There's a lot of Qabalah references in the deck and it's definitely not a starter deck. I gave it a shot, never could get a feel for it and gave it away. :)

Here's a link:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/al ... ley-thoth/

If you decide to look into this deck, I strongly suggest picking up a copy of the supplemental book which is sold separately (or at least it was sold separately a decade ago). It goes into the imagery and message of each card in a lot of detail.
cynderella

Post by cynderella »

Sakura Blossom wrote:There is somewhat of a big difference between the two in my opinion, quite honestly. Tarot cards are usually more in depth with what their meanings hold and I view them as being more thorough where as Oracle cards basically give their meaning right off the bat and are pretty straight forward. Oracle cards don't really have a set structure where as Tarot has a structure and as littlepsychic mentioned, they have different suits. All of the oracle cards I've seen say things like "Blessing, Happiness, Love" and so on. They basically just say what to expect within the title and don't really give in-depth responses to questions. I always see them as something being used for a quick response where I see Tarot as being used for a deeper reading into a situation to get more facts and opinions from the cards.

This, of course, is just what I've found and somewhat of my opinion, but hopefully that can help you! (:

Thank you very helpful information.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I wonder...
How many here use tarot
and how many use oracle cards ?
I myself use oracle cards, when
I tried tarot for awhile but never
really was comfortable with them
it was like "something missing".
When I found the two decks I use
I felt like...I was finally home !
Odd as it sounds I am very grateful
Goddess directed me in that way.
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Jack

Post by Jack »

I usually see "oracle deck" used to describe anything that isn't a tarot or lenormond deck specifically. So I'm making my own deck, it's a different system, so I call it an oracle deck. Fluffiness and angels are optional. ;)
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Jack wrote:I usually see "oracle deck" used to describe anything that isn't a tarot or lenormond deck specifically. So I'm making my own deck, it's a different system, so I call it an oracle deck. Fluffiness and angels are optional. ;)
Jack, sorry for the newb questions, but what is lenormond?
lyric_cerridwen

Post by lyric_cerridwen »

MsMollimizz wrote:
I wonder...
How many here use tarot
and how many use oracle cards ?
I myself use oracle cards, when
I tried tarot for awhile but never
really was comfortable with them
it was like "something missing".
When I found the two decks I use