Crafting a wand, a few questions.

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Cruel Rotus XI

Crafting a wand, a few questions.

Post by Cruel Rotus XI »

I've been preparing a specific branch from a specific tree to craft a wand, I haven't taken it yet, but I am certain it knows that I will. It is an apple tree that is not very old nor very young but it is very fruitful.

I've crafted one wand and one staff before. The staff was shoddy and probably no longer exists. I left it in a room I rented in a condo several years ago. All I did was dress it with feathers and paint and meditate with it. The wand I crafted didn't last long. I disposed of it quickly because it was never meant for use, but for practice in craftsmanship of my true wand. One thing I realized is that I hate painted wands, or maybe I'm just a bad painter.

Anyways, my questions:

I wish to use wire to attach the handle of the wand to the crystal which I plan to tip it with (I'll either wrap this wire as a spiral from one end to the other or drill holes and weave the wire through the hollowed stick) ; would copper wire or magnetized, steel piano wire be more effective to strengthen the wand and make it easier for use?
Also, is is necessary to use wire in order to produce a powerful wand?

Some traditions say the wand should be attributed to air, others say fire; what do you say and why is it so? Personally, I believe the wand should bear all the elements and be attributed to a balanced energy that portrays earth, air, fire, and water in equilibrium. Thus said, I would not use a dagger, or athame, because my wand shall bear the powers of the Chalice, the Pantacle, and also the Athame (which I attribute most closely with fire). Please tell me if I'm wrong.
I plan to super-glue 36 or 48 aquamarines, emeralds, and heliodors along the shaft of the wand. I also expect to carve the images of the Wolf, the Owl, the Spider, and the Human (skull) into the handle of wand, which I'll decorate with a hematite sphere. Other crystals I plan to use include holed ruby chips, goshenites, and (possibly, but doubtfully) multi-colored, holed tourmaline chips. Are these crystals and animals good choices for a multi-purpose wand?

I've been putting a lot of energy into making this instrument. I expect it to last for centuries to be honest. I wish to imbue the wand in question with quite substantial power and I know I bear the virtue to create it... But obviously I have doubts and fears and I hope to resolve a few of those negativities here, with this thread.

Thanks in advance for anything you might say, you can't be wrong.
Siona

Re: Crafting a wand, a few questions.

Post by Siona »

Cruel Rotus XI wrote:would copper wire or magnetized, steel piano wire be more effective to strengthen the wand and make it easier for use?
I don't know about the practical qualities of either, but generally speaking in quite a few traditions fae and nature spirits are said to dislike iron and steel, where copper doesn't usually have the same problems. Not everyone shares belief in that bit of folklore, but it's something to consider, depending on if you ever want to work with such entities, or actually prefer they stayed away.

Wire, in general, isn't necessary for a wand, it's just up to your preference. Same with anything else you might do to your wand.
Are these crystals and animals good choices for a multi-purpose wand?
I think that's also really up to you. I know it sounds a bit cliche, but the symbols you carve onto the wand, the decorations you put onto it, the power they have is really up to you. If they don't mean anything to you, then there's no point in putting them onto the wand, you know? Do you think these gems and animals make sense for your wand? If so, then use them, because in the end what works for you is all that really matters. I could make the exact same wand and it wouldn't really have any meaning to me, but it might be totally different for you. Hope that makes sense. :)
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Cruel Rotus XI wrote:would copper wire or magnetized, steel piano wire be more effective to strengthen the wand and make it easier for use?
I've heard of copper wire being used in wand making, supposedly for its conductivity. I believe though, that this idea is one that belongs to some of the more traditional paths, such as Gardnerian and Alexandrian. I don't feel that it's a necessity unless you're following a traditional path that asks you to use specific materials for your tools.
One of my wands is a simple branch, believed to be willow, given to me by my former high priestess. My other wand is from an unknown tree in my backyard, wrapped in a simple, hand made wire chain adorned with plastic beads.
Cruel Rotus XI wrote:Some traditions say the wand should be attributed to air, others say fire; what do you say and why is it so?
I attribute wands to air, though I can see a wooden wand correspond to earth since it was part of a living plant at one time. I associate it with air because it makes me think of the way an orchestral conductor gracefully waves and flourishes their hands or batons through the air. :)
Cruel Rotus XI wrote:Are these crystals and animals good choices for a multi-purpose wand?
There is no right or wrong answer here. If these crystals and animals are meaningful to you, use them.
Cruel Rotus XI wrote:I've been putting a lot of energy into making this instrument.
There you go. That is what will make your wand powerful. :D
Cruel Rotus XI

Post by Cruel Rotus XI »

Thank you both so much for offering me some clarity here. I feel much more confident and comfortable in going through with crafting my wand.

I decided to use no wire at all and I will be using 48 Aquamarine/Emerald/Heliodor crystals, along with 3 Goshenite crystals, a clear Quartz wand, and a loveface Diamond loveface to fashion my apple tree wand. No Hematite or Rubies. I'll just have to find another use for my abundant supply of Ruby crystal chips.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I use to make colleges with stones and leather...just a thought, make a sign
for yourself...your name or ???

The wand: Apple wood is cool, I have a blank waiting for me to bring it out !
Do remember to leave an offering for the wand :fairy:
I put all four elements into my wand; dolphin confetti on shaft for water,
a tumbled crystal on top I've had for long time it found it's home for earth!
I wrapped red crochet string on handle for fire, and since this wand is made
from Yucca plant, it's hollow inside-air ! (I'm not telling what's inside the shaft!)
I've seen wands wrapped with copper, I prefer to use leather for the top stone.
When you get it done, share a pic, okay ?
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”