Cats Jumping onto Altars

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Yex

Cats Jumping onto Altars

Post by Yex »

My cats often jump on top of my altar while I'm doing rituals. I'm sure this isn't an uncommon phenomenon. What do you do when this happens? On the one hand, I don't want to brush them away, because I know that they know what's going on and that they aren't really interrupting anything. Also, I feel like I should just not bother with the mundane task of shooing them away, as that sort of distracts from the ritual mindset. On the other hand, there are practical concerns - what if they knock something over? This is especially concerning when lit candles are involved. What do you think?
love is the whole and more than all
Shub Niggurath

Re: Cats Jumping onto Alters

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Cats are magickal, you know that :D
But seriously, if you and your cats are close maybe they would like to be your familiars or at least help you with the rituals? It's not uncommon really. The only solution I can see is to get a bigger altar table or adjust the ritual to the cats - make sure there's nothing on the altar that they could knock over or quit using altars in your rituals. And have some faith in them! I trust my cat and he's always careful not to break anything :>
Yex

Post by Yex »

Thanks, that seems like pretty solid advice. I've long considered my older cat to be a familiar, and when I used to just live with her, before partner/baby/second cat, she would often hang out when I did rituals. I just worry about our new cat; he's a bit of a klutz and tends to knock things over a lot, and with candles that could be an issue. The surface I use is pretty big though, and he seems keep his distance from the flame, so I suppose I should be more trusting. :)
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Oh, so the other cat is new in your family. Ever tried communicating with him/her? You know, to strenghten and deepen the connection and to build some mutual understanding and trust. That might help as well. I can't give you any advice on how to communicate though because it's always best to figure things like that out by yourself (but I bet you know that already) :)
Yex

Post by Yex »

He's different from most other cats I've met. Whereas my older cat has that sort of cleverness and grace that cats tend to have, he's a very simple creature, one that seems to exist very much in his own world and march to his own proverbial drumbeat. Perhaps next time though, I will have a good talk with him about what's going on, and warn him to stay away from the flame.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

How about a hidden altar? Here are some ideas: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 27885.html
Or maybe a hanging altar. My mini altar is a mirror with a little shelf below it. I imagine the only way Bunny could knock the mini altar down is if she stood on the big altar and tried to climb up the Mardi Gras beads that hang from the mini altar. I better not give her any ideas. :P
Actually, I haven't really had trouble with her being on my altar. She knocked my wand down once and that's been it. It's the ferret that worries me. :anxious:
Here's a link to another thread on this topic. http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24979.html
Yex

Post by Yex »

Thanks, Echo. Mine is an ad hoc altar, set up as needed on my coffee table. In the past I always just performed rituals on the floor, but the coffee table seems right for now. My younger cat, Pickles (the one that I'm more concerned about) seems to be respecting the ceremony more. Thanks for sharing that information though. It is much appreciated.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Both of my cats love being involved when I am working. Whether it is just my simply meditating or actual spellwork. I just allow them to and before I even begin I set it up to where they could not bother anything. They are my familars and I trust them both. The worse that has happened is they have gotten into my sage sticks before and I woke one morning with it everywhere. I took it as a sign though and smudged the house that day. Since they have not bothered any of my magickal things and they are both still allowed to join me in my works.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Cats Jumping onto Altars

Post by SpiritTalker »

I use those hurricane candle holders with tea lights or votive candles that sit low inside the glass. They are heavy glass, hard to tip, and protect the cats whiskers from being torched. Mason jars are another option. Once the cats inspect the altar before ritual begins, their curiosity is usually satisfied. I let them sniff the herbs and anything scented before beginning. They still steal my wand if I let it lay. If I re-act, it becomes a game to them, so I developed nerves of steel and bait-and-switch techniques of distraction, like a catnip scented toy to draw them away from the altar. Locked doors are, of course, useless. So invite them in, make room for them, scatter the nip, and proceed. They belong there.

Return to “Animals and Pets”