Actual book of Shadows?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
lisian-in-secret

Actual book of Shadows?

Post by lisian-in-secret »

Do any of you have an actual BOS? A notebook or book of some sort that you call your BOS? Pictures, if you have any!
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: Actual book of Shadows?

Post by AdastraJunction »

I don't have photos of mine because it is a very personal item. It is hand made leather bound from a wonderful bloke I know back home in the UK with a metal lock clasp and personal seal (sigil) casted from sterling with inlays of my birthstones on the cover. Rather large, I still haven't filled it up and its sectioned with lovely Section Page drawings I made myself. Sections are your basics, Spells, Rituals, Stone list, Herb List, Recipes etc.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Mine's nothing fancy, but it's a leather-bound binder with these cool faded pages. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Siona

Post by Siona »

lisian-in-secret wrote:Do any of you have an actual BOS? A notebook or book of some sort that you call your BOS? Pictures, if you have any!
I have two. One's a large hardcover book, just simple black cover with unlined pages, where the tried and true stuff of my practice goes. I take a lot of time with this one, using stamps, painting, etc, to make it very personal. The second is just a three ring binder, where I keep ongoing research, stuff that's interesting but not really a part of my practice (but might come in handy someday?), random notes, ideas, recipe trial and error, and so on. This is the stuff that eventually gets refined for the hardcover book.
springsgrace

Post by springsgrace »

Mine is bought from an op-shop. It has brown hand-made paper inside and a leather hole-punch style binding in deep purple. However, it has Chinese characters on the front and a portrait of some war leader (?) but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.
| cerelia | oceania | eclectic wiccan |
HazelQ.boggslyon

Post by HazelQ.boggslyon »

I have a small notebook I carry in my purse right now, but I have my eye on one when I can afford one.
summer rain

Post by summer rain »

i have just a small cloth covered notebook. i have started with. but i want to get a bigger one thats more personal
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

I had one (an empty journal as a gradiation gift from my Godmother) and it's almost full. So I now just bought 7 blank journals that I will be painting (they're hardcover) and decorating. They will each be volume 1 of different subjects; Herbs, Crystals, Dreams and Meditation, Spells and Rituals, etc.

I just have this tick about needing information I gather easy to reference. I remeber most of it but still.
azriel

Post by azriel »

Since I have OCD I have never had luck with just a journal. I would always have to start over to rearrange my notes, so I decided to have a Binder of Shadows. I input information as I learn them and I love how I can separate all of the sections with tabs and color code it. Yay organization!

All in all, your BOS says a lot about you and the more attuned you are to it, the more confident you will feel with it. Do what you feel represents you and you will find that your BOS can be your most useful tool!

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
nyxmoonshadow

Post by nyxmoonshadow »

I have two books of shadows. One physical, which is a purple three ring binder with all the trimmings and a digital one on evernote. Every week, I go to Kinko's and print out all my clippings, pictures, thoughts, etc., then right there I have them hole punch it and stick it straight in my binder.

And I agree azriel, your BOS says so much about a person!! All of your books sound beautiful, as well!
Floyd Pinkerton

Post by Floyd Pinkerton »

azriel wrote:Since I have OCD I have never had luck with just a journal. I would always have to start over to rearrange my notes, so I decided to have a Binder of Shadows. I input information as I learn them and I love how I can separate all of the sections with tabs and color code it. Yay organization!
This is genius and now I really want to try it this way.

I currently just have a regular spiral notebook as my BOS. I feel that my spells and my information should be stored separately so I have a second one as well. The BOS has a turtle on it and the grimoire (for spells/recipes/etc) has butterflies on it.
eclectic witch

Post by eclectic witch »

I have a small composition notebook with notes, I also have a huge binder chock full of information
Katiara

Post by Katiara »

I have 3 books. One is a 3 ring binder with pretty section/dividers (I love organization!), one is a run of the mill hardback journal for random thoughts, theories and things I wish to delve into further (while I love organization, my brain likes to poke back at odd times so I keep this journal with me) and the 3rd is mostly all herbalism related info, and research avenues. No pictures because nothing is fancy, and all are very personal. My herbalism based book is a plain journal with a single white daisy on the cover...my favorite flower. My random thought book is a journal with frogs on it, and my binder is just a plain black binder that looks very inconspicuous on my bookshelf (not that I am trying to hide anything in my home!).
Amo_Angelus

Post by Amo_Angelus »

Mines a post bound cream scrapbook with black flowers across the front cover in a very stylized henna esque design. In the center theres a square insert which holds one of the delphic maxims.

Inside the pages are very artistic and cover pretty much everything. When it's filled I just buy more posts and widen it.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I have 2 BOS, both are zipped up 3-ring binders...
One is for magickal stuff, things I've done, things
I'm considering trying, spells, perpetual calendar,
info about doing spells, Elemental info, Moon info,
acupressure, numerology, etc.
The other is for correspondence info, a lot of gem
info from 4 different places ! Herbals for infusion,
liniments, salves...etc.
I have a third holding bunches of sheet protectors.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”