Green Witchcraft/Hedge Witchcraft?

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Sakura Blossom

Green Witchcraft/Hedge Witchcraft?

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I've been doing pretty well on my own path but I knew this day was a long time coming. I've been long since toying with the idea of delving into Green Witchcraft or Hedge Witchcraft (as I do believe there is a difference?). As I've only really researched Wicca, Norse Paganism and Celtic Traditions I'm not terribly familiar with these areas so I'd love to hear some more from those of you who follow these paths! I would also love some great resources from websites I could read, as I have no ways of getting books at the moment.

Thank you, and many blessings!

Sakura
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Heartsong

Re: Green Witchcraft/Hedge Witchcraft?

Post by Heartsong »

I'm a Green Witch, so I can only speak from that perspective, but I highly suggest you check out Ann Moura's website on Green Witchcraft if you're interested. It's my personal path, and I love her books.

If you're really interested in that path, I would also recommend doing some research on herbs and how to use them, since that's primarily what we tend to work with in spells and rituals. I found this PDF online of Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, and this blog has some great resources for both Green and Hedge witchcraft information.

In a nutshell, Green Witches work as closely with the earth as we can, which includes the elements (and elementals on occasion), plants, and nature spirits, which often includes the Fey. As a student of the Northern Shaman tradition, I also work closely with my house and land wights, along with the Fey, leaving them offerings as often as I can. Anything that we take or pick up from the earth we give something in return. The practice is very much centered on how we can help the earth, heal it as best we can, and how we can channel natural energies to to benefit our lives and the lives of others.

Hope that helps, Sakura. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Siona

Post by Siona »

The practices can be similar, but there are some differences as well. A green witch has a focus on working with plants, nature, maybe growing a garden/garden magic, herbalism, that sort of thing. Now all of that can often be a part of hedgecraft as well, but the thing that sets hedgewitches apart is their work with crossing the hedge (the boundary between worlds, what some call the veil), spirit flight, working with spirits, and that whole area. Some green witches also work with land spirits, to make matters confusing, but it doesn't usually have the same actual spirit-flight element.

Despite what some sources say, a hedgewitch is not just a solitary Wiccan or witch, and while it's a very personalized path, it does need to have that particular spirit-work focus, and usually is also focused on building a local practice.

Here's a article I wrote a while back aboutwhat a hedgewitch is. This article is also a good one. Unfortunately two of the better sites dealing with hedgecraft have vanished off the net in the last few months, including a really great longer article on the subject. :/ But if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thank you, Heartsong! I work with the fey and have done a small amount of herb work before. I've always had some of the practices added in so I figured it was high time I fully look into it. Haha! I'll definitely look at that website, thanks! (:

And Siona, thank you so much for the information! I will be sure to look into those sites too! And I understand about losing your favorite resources. I've had that happen a few times too. ):
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I too agree that there is a big difference between the two. Ive seen green witchcraft also linked to Kitchen witch but I think those are different as well.

And Hedge can also be closely related to Shamanism. I have a pretty eclectic path and have a little Hedge/Shamanism thrown in there.
Myrrdin Greyoak

Post by Myrrdin Greyoak »

I guess i consider myself a Green Witch so I would agree with Heartsong about Ann Moura's books. I have most of what she has written and her Green Witchcraft has influenced me greatly. As for Scott Cunningham you may also want to take a look at his book Magical Herbalism, which is another book that has influenced me. I am also currently reading The Shamanic Witch by Gail Wood and hope to incorporate some of what she teaches into my Green Witchcraft

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”