Fall/Equinox/Mabon/Samhain

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
ravenwhite

Fall/Equinox/Mabon/Samhain

Post by ravenwhite »

So, summer is starting to show the signs of the end here, and from what I gather this is the time of year the witch looks inward... I wonder if someone can either write down, or provide a link as to the thoughts, ideas and sabbats of fall.

We have a full moon occurring early in August, and the Equinox late in September, and Mabon, and Samhain. I'd like to start prepping for this time of year starting with the full moon in August. I'm looking for a little direction I guess on the mindset, and so forth during the Fall

thank you for your help
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fall/Equinox/Mabon/Samhain

Post by Firebird »

Gosh ...I have sooo much I could say on the subject but I'll probably be brief due to tiny key board :lol: ...as the energy of the Sun wanes we are faced with impending winter, metaphorically relating to the cycle of ones life. In the harvest cycle, Lughnasadh was the first Holiday where folks could relax and enjoy themselves some , the hard work in the fields is producing the first harvests, and the process of preserving the fruits (and vegetables) of their labors had begun...this is the origin of harvest and county fairs. People would get together have some fun, play some games, eat food...etc... we have this time to relax and reflect a bit but there is still much more work to be done. ..in the field and in ones life.

Now we as pagans understand the Sun is in decline, it is naturally easier to get into ones head and be receptive to the teachings of the Goddess as we turn twards fall and winter...it is no strange coincidence that school starts in the fall. The kids were needed less in the fields. The harvests go on....at Mabon we have a moment to look foward and backwards like the Janns head, and assess what worked and what didn't. We move on to Samhain and the Goddesses knows she must let go of her God for his power to make things grow must die, for a time...untill he regains strength at Yule when he is reborn a baby. At Samhain we decide what we need to let go of. These are the 3 great harvests so lots of feasting was involved.
I don't know if I answered your question at all, but I hoped it helped.

Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Siona

Re: Fall/Equinox/Mabon/Samhain

Post by Siona »

To offer another perspective... Lammas is the start of the three harvest festivals, but Mabon is really the peak of the harvest season, and it's a time to give thanks for the food that sustains us, and really it's a good time to give thanks in general for all the good things we have. It's a time to give thanks for the warm summer months, and the abundance they bring. The day and night are just about equal on the equinox (exactly equal depends on where you live), so it's a time to reflect on balance, but the nights are becoming longer, so it's also a time to welcome in the dark half of the year. (Different people mark the beginning of the dark half of the year at different times, but for me it starts at Mabon.)

The harvest moon falls around the equinox (different people have different names for it, of course), and for me it's a time to mediate on what I'm harvesting in a spiritual sense. Did I achieve any plans I "planted" in the spring? Did I put in the work necessary for a good harvest? What fruits am I reaping? That sort of reflection could easily be incorporated into a Mabon celebration, as well.

Mabon was the first day of autumn, but Samhain is the peak of the autumn season, and the energies of that season - the energies of nature dying and pulling back into itself. Samhain is a threshold holiday, right between the end of the energy of the harvest season and celebration, and the colder, quieter months to come. The death and threshold symbolism often lead people to describe it as one of the times of the year where the 'veil,' or barrier, between the worlds is thin. The spirits of the dead are thought to wander, and some leave out whole meals for them, or do other rituals in honor of the ancestors.

The blood moon (again, goes by different names) falls around Samhain. It gets it's name because this was the traditional time to hunt wild game (hunter's moon is another name for it), and to cull herds for the winter. The meat would be preserved for the winter months. It's a good time to look inward, and see what things in your life need to be culled. What bad habits are holding you back, are there any people in your life who cause a lot of drama and negativity that you should maybe cut off?

For me, the last moon cycle of autumn is the frost moon. The weather is starting to get colder, and there's not much time left to winter. It's a time for me to do practical things, like clean and test the heaters in the house, get out the winter coats, check the winter storm kits, and so on, as well as to start preparing for winter in a more spiritual sense. Both of these moons share some symbolism with Samhain, and those ideas could be worked into a Samhain celebration as well.

A lot of this also depends on where you live, too. Think about what's going on locally around these holidays. I live in an area where we get the four "traditional" seasons, so to speak, but someone living in an area with a different climate might look to more local symbolism to connect with.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”