Substituting a Pen for an Athame

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Substituting a Pen for an Athame

Post by Xiao Rong »

I've been working on gathering ritual tools that represent me, and for the longest time I had trouble figuring out the right athame. Unfortunately, I've had a hard time finding a double-bladed knife that didn't feel too martial or violent for me to use in a ritual setting ... I did find a little fixed blade knife that looked okay, but the sheath was cheap and had a clip, and it just still didn't feel right (though I'm sure I'll find a use for it). Had been thinking about subsituting a feather, but it didn't seem quite right either.

The other day, I was at work and writing on a dry erase board and I started waving the marker around, and I had this "DOH!" moment where I realized that I should use a PEN as an athame!!! I can't believe I didn't think of it before. I've always loved writing and words, and that falls into the realm of air (plus, pen is mightier than the sword, right?). I've been getting into calligraphy and I have some beautiful nib holders made of mahogany. That just seems so right to me!

Anybody else done something similar?
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Holdasown

Re: Substituting a Pen for an Athame

Post by Holdasown »

Xiao Rong wrote:I've been working on gathering ritual tools that represent me, and for the longest time I had trouble figuring out the right athame. Unfortunately, I've had a hard time finding a double-bladed knife that didn't feel too martial or violent for me to use in a ritual setting ... I did find a little fixed blade knife that looked okay, but the sheath was cheap and had a clip, and it just still didn't feel right (though I'm sure I'll find a use for it). Had been thinking about subsituting a feather, but it didn't seem quite right either.

The other day, I was at work and writing on a dry erase board and I started waving the marker around, and I had this "DOH!" moment where I realized that I should use a PEN as an athame!!! I can't believe I didn't think of it before. I've always loved writing and words, and that falls into the realm of air (plus, pen is mightier than the sword, right?). I've been getting into calligraphy and I have some beautiful nib holders made of mahogany. That just seems so right to me!

Anybody else done something similar?
Never would have thought of that what perfect sense it makes when you explain it. Especially calligraphy pens. What better way to express your will than writing it down on paper.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

"True, This! —
Beneath the rule of men entirely great
The pen is mightier than the sword [or athame, hehe --K]. Behold
The arch-enchanters wand! — itself is nothing! —
But taking sorcery from the master-hand
To paralyse the Cæsars, and to strike
The loud earth breathless! — Take away the sword —
States can be saved without it!" --Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1839

According to Ed, you could paralyze ceasars with that pen.

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I think I might need another few decades of witching practice to work up to paralyzing caesars!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

How about using pens or markers that are a color that matches your intent? Maybe a black sharpie for paralyzing caesars? :wink:
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

when i go into a residential treatment program for mental health, my athame will be a pen. it's a fancy pen with a rose on the end and fake feathers. i bought it at dollar tree.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”