Remembering Sabbats, Moon Phases, Etc.

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Brenda

Remembering Sabbats, Moon Phases, Etc.

Post by Brenda »

I am a person the has to view something on paper with all the information in one spot for me to excel at learning it. As I've studied I've written everything down where I can learn better. I would just like to know if anyone else has this way of learning and if I can get a few tips on remembering and learning when the Sabbats, Eabats, Full and New moons, the different moon phases are. Short of getting a blank calendar and writing all the information in myself I'm alil lost. I'm alil scared brained so I barely know what the date is most of the time, haha.

Does anyone know if/where I can get a calendar w/ the required information on it?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Remembering Sabbats, Moon Phases, Etc.

Post by Firebird »

Tip one...draw a circle and write the holidays down around the perimeter then draw a little corresponding picture next to the name, spend some time adding other imagery like the equinoxes and solstices the light half and dark half, making it lovely and referring to your chart frequently will help remember + time...lots of time.
tip two... for the moon I would suggest doing a moon study, this involves tracking the moon through several complete phases...ideally for a year. Make a folder dedicated to this with the date, time of day where in the sky you observed the moon and a little picture of what the moon looked like. This works best if you observe from the same location, do this 2 times a day ...again a consistent time will have a greater impact on your observations in the movement and changes the moon makes.
best wishes, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... e_Year.svg

http://lunaf.com/english/moon-phases/lu ... ndar-2014/

I printed out the moon phases calendar and keep it by my regular calendar. You will find after a few months you kinda know when they are coming. There is a witch's calendar you can get but at 13 bucks I just print stuff out online.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re:Remembering Sabbats, Moon Phases, Etc.

Post by loona wynd »

The way I started to remember the sabbats is that there are roughly 7-8 weeks between them or every two months it seems. The solstices and equinoxes are basically the same date every year (2-3 day differences). So I started with Mabon (September 21st ish) and then counted to Samhain (October 31st) and did the same thing to Yule. Its not exact but it may be a helpful hint to at least plan an idea or outline.

The other thing that helped me was the the cross quarters (Imbolc, Beltaine, Lammas and Samhain) are on the 1st or 31st of the month they fall in. Imbolc Feb1st or second, Beltaine May 1st, Lammas either July 31st or August First and Samhain October 31st or November 1st.
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

Thank you for your responses! Great suggestions :)
I do have a q that I just thought off... and it's totally unimportant but it's something my husband and I were debating about what you'd say in greeting for a holiday... Merry Christmas for example.... Would it be Happy Yule?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: A couple questions about Sabbats and Esbats

Post by loona wynd »

Brenda wrote:Thank you for your responses! Great suggestions :)
I do have a q that I just thought off... and it's totally unimportant but it's something my husband and I were debating about what you'd say in greeting for a holiday... Merry Christmas for example.... Would it be Happy Yule?
I still honor Christmas so I still use Merry Christmas. On Yule I say Happy Yule or Blessed Yule depending on the concept. In ritual typically blessed Yule while in face to face or online conversations its Happy Yule. For Halloween and Samhain in general for the public Happy Halloween. When with other witches or Pagans Happy Samhain. This is my personal preferences and way of working with the holidays and greetings. You will have to find what works for you.
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

loona wynd wrote:
Brenda wrote:Thank you for your responses! Great suggestions :)
I still honor Christmas so I still use Merry Christmas. On Yule I say Happy Yule or Blessed Yule depending on the concept. In ritual typically blessed Yule while in face to face or online conversations its Happy Yule. For Halloween and Samhain in general for the public Happy Halloween. When with other witches or Pagans Happy Samhain. This is my personal preferences and way of working with the holidays and greetings. You will have to find what works for you.
Thanks :) I don't plan on changing my everyday speech patterns but it's just something that came up btn my husband and I.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”