I want to ask others opinions on the books we've begun with.

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Brenda

I want to ask others opinions on the books we've begun with.

Post by Brenda »

My husband and I have just started studying Wicca and have bought a few books to aide us. I just want to know what peoples opinions of them are and if someone has any other books they think would be better for beginners. My husband and I researched many many books before we went and bought any at all, we live on a tight budget so we wanted to get ones that we knew we would be comfortable with and would teach us with a clear picture. We are happy with the books we are studying and don't really have the money to buy anything else right now but when we do finish them I would like some suggestions to go off of. If you have any suggestions, can you tell me why the book you are suggesting is a good book (in your opinion)?
The books we already have are 'Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft' and 'Wicca, The Complete Craft by D. J. Conway'... I bought 'Earth, Air, Fire and Water by Scott Cunningham' off Amazon bc I it looked interesting and it was $2... I'm always looking to be thrifty, haha.
YanaKhan

Re: I want to ask others opinions on the books we've begun w

Post by YanaKhan »

There are many many helpful books out there and I bet everyone is going to recommend their favorite. But I have a question for you - why don't you try and read on your pc? I know it's not like a "real" reading, but it can actually be very interesting. I know exactly what it is to not be able to afford books (because I just want like thousand books) and supplies. I have this reader - "Cool reader" which makes it a lot easier to read on the computer. I believe it's free for download.
Anyway, sorry for the offtopic, I would recommend "The compete idiot's guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" and "Candle magick for beginners". Both are extremely useful and are easy to understand.
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

You can check out the book review section and in particular the 'worthy reading list' thread in that section. http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum/forum154.html
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Buckland's complete book of witchcraft is one of my top 3 favorite books on Wicca and Witchcraft. He writes it out like a work book which makes everything easy to remember. I would also recommend getting a notebook and writing down everything you feel that is important. Writing it down will help you remember it.

Some of my other favorite beginner books are:
A guide to the solitary practitioner-Scott Cunningham
A further guide to the solitary practitioner- Scott Cunningham
Solitary Witch-Silver Ravenwolf

All of these books can be found online, so you don't have to spend money on them. A google search should pull a few links up.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Have you checked the local library for books? You can sometimes find Wiccan books there, but it can be iffy. For example, my city library system doesn't have any Wiccan books, but the county library system does. Sometimes when a library gets Wiccan books, they get checked out and never returned. You can check the local metaphysical shops in your area, if there are any, to see if they sell books, or maybe someone there can point you in the direction of where you can find books. The local shop near me carries a small assortment of used books that are pretty cheap. Amazon is a pretty good source for cheap books. I just got a few from there last month. :D If you look around Amazon carefully, you can find Kindle versions of books that are offered for free for a short period of time. The nice thing about the Kindle app is that you don't have to have a Nook or tablet, you can download the app right to your PC. Amazon also has a lending library, where you can download books for a little while. You have to sign up for their library, but I think you may have to pay for this service. I haven't tried it myself, so I'm not positive on all the aspects of it.
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

Elcida wrote:There are many many helpful books out there and I bet everyone is going to recommend their favorite. But I have a question for you - why don't you try and read on your pc? I know it's not like a "real" reading, but it can actually be very interesting. I know exactly what it is to not be able to afford books (because I just want like thousand books) and supplies. I have this reader - "Cool reader" which makes it a lot easier to read on the computer. I believe it's free for download.
Anyway, sorry for the offtopic, I would recommend "The compete idiot's guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" and "Candle magick for beginners". Both are extremely useful and are easy to understand.

I haven't tried reading anything on my PC bc.... well.... electronics have taken over the world, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-electronics and want the world to be plunged into archaic times (I'm reading S.M. Stirling's books about the Change). We just try to not use them as much in our house, we turn off the TV, computer and such and hang out together, play games or sit in the yard (play in the yard w/ the kiddo) mostly. I'm completely against getting any e-books, I feel if I'm going to read it should be with a book made out of paper... I know, it's a little narrow minded of me but my husbands working on me, lol. Plus, the fact that I've found ALOT of books online that only come as e-books and they are either free or almost free are working on me.. Thank you for your help :)
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:Have you checked the local library for books? You can sometimes find Wiccan books there, but it can be iffy. For example, my city library system doesn't have any Wiccan books, but the county library system does. Sometimes when a library gets Wiccan books, they get checked out and never returned. You can check the local metaphysical shops in your area, if there are any, to see if they sell books, or maybe someone there can point you in the direction of where you can find books. The local shop near me carries a small assortment of used books that are pretty cheap. Amazon is a pretty good source for cheap books. I just got a few from there last month. :D If you look around Amazon carefully, you can find Kindle versions of books that are offered for free for a short period of time. The nice thing about the Kindle app is that you don't have to have a Nook or tablet, you can download the app right to your PC. Amazon also has a lending library, where you can download books for a little while. You have to sign up for their library, but I think you may have to pay for this service. I haven't tried it myself, so I'm not positive on all the aspects of it.
I have checked our local library, nothing. I looked online and when I found nothing I went in to look around. It's a small town so I figured maybe they didn't update it often... When the (lonely, little old) woman annoyed me to the point that I told her what I was looking for she looked at me like my head had revolved right there. I did not know there was an 'app'(?) that you could download to a computer to read instead of buying an E-reader... As I said above... I'm working on the e-reading, haha. Thank you for your suggestions :)
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

With a wave of my wand.... :fairy:
and a search of this forum...
BAM!
http://www.themagicknook.com/ebooks/wit ... wicca.html
~Just in case you change your mind~
The link is from DPhoenix

Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

I have a very worn (or loved!) version of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca. It sounds silly but it is really great, and a good quick reference. They make it so easy if you're just starting out, and it's a quick read as well. Lots of great stuff in there.
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

So I looked at the ebooks... I haven't brought myself to read one yet but I've looked thru the titles :) Thank you for the responses and the help.
TwilightDancer wrote:With a wave of my wand.... :fairy:
and a search of this forum...
BAM!
http://www.themagicknook.com/ebooks/wit ... wicca.html
~Just in case you change your mind~
The link is from DPhoenix

Return to “F.A.Q.”