Questions to Ask when Searching for an Online Mentor

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Foxface

Questions to Ask when Searching for an Online Mentor

Post by Foxface »

So I am a pagan moving into Wiccan tradition. I work with Isis and Osiris. I genuinely want to find a mentor but pickings are quite slim in my area. Are there typically good and trustworthy places to look online for someone who could correspond to help me move into this tradition?
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Finding a mentor online?

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

My suggestion is that before you look for someone to work with, make a list. Ask yourself some of the following:
What are you looking for in a mentor?
Do they have to have the same values as you do?
Do they have to honor the same deities?
What do you want to learn?
Is there a specific tradition you want to follow?
Do you want to work alone or with coven?
Once you have some of the answers, the search will be easier. For example, if you know that you're looking to study within the Faerie tradition, you wouldn't look for a mentor on sites that cater to Draconian traditions. You are working with the Egyptian pantheon, you wouldn't want to study with someone that works with the Aztec pantheon.
Have you been to Witchvox? It's a well respected resource for finding other members of the Pagan community. Even if you can't find someone in your exact area, you might get lucky and find someone that is a reasonable distance away.
You can also find sites that offer subscriptions to Pagan newsletters that have Pagan classified adds.
There are also Pagan social websites.
But I would also like to say to err on the side of caution. Not everyone out there is looking to "help" others for the love of the Craft. If anyone says you have to do something that makes you uncomfortable, run for the hills. If you find someone who seems to have just what you're looking for, but they seem to rub you the wrong way, you may have to find someone else. It's hard to connect with someone spiritually when in the mundane world, you can't stand to be in the same room with them.
Good luck in your search. May the Goddess guide you. :)

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”