I am excited!

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Sakura Blossom

I am excited!

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Things have been really, really bad recently. I got hit with pancreatitis, then a disabling condition called POTS, and then mono... I had to drop out of college for a year and quit my job. I've been feeling really down... But today I met with an advisor at my school, one who works with me often and is sister in law to a friend of my mom's.

She helped me finally figure out a path to go in life with schooling! I'm going for a B.S in social work online, to work with developmentally disabled children (which is what my advisor's friend does ironically, and she loves it!) as I can't really go to an actual college. Then I'm working on learning ASL on the side, and looking into how to add this into my career. I might end up going back for a Masters later, in counseling, but I don't have the energy or the motivation to think about that right now. I need to get through the B.S. first.

So I'm very excited! I just need more guidance and help with finding an accredited online program. We went through a few, and I have two in mind I like, I just need to figure out if they'd work for what I'm looking for.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Jen

Re: I am excited!

Post by Jen »

YAY! So happy for you! Great news. I really hope you find a incredible program online to learn what you need.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thank you!

Yes, I have! A few, actually. (: It's just a matter now of finding out if I can transfer into them or if I need to find a way to do an associates first. (:

And I tried asking this online, but... People were rather rude by trying to tell me that I couldn't get a job within this without a masters, which is untrue because I know a few people and my advisor knows a few people who work within this field with only a B.S. Haha. So I'm trying not to let their words discourage me. I feel this is the right path. (:

And I've already started learning ASL. I'm so in love already. It's amazing to me, how your hands can mean so many different things.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I'm excited for you, Sakura. :) Children can always use caring adults. It's sad to see how many children are hurt by the very adults who are supposed to love and care for them. It sounds like you have a very big heart. I'm sure the children will love you.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

With the field of social work it depends on exactly what you are looking to do what level of degree you need. I believe that MA is basically for individual private practices and hospital/clinical work. With your BS/BA there is stuff you can do. I believe that you may eventually need your MA if you want to go beyond a certain point. I looked into this myself when I started to look into college 12 years ago (I've been out of HS for 10). Good luck.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thanks, Loona. (: I discussed this same thing with my advisor, I just need a B.S. in social work. If I want to do counseling, I have to get a Masters, but for the type of work I'm interested in, I just need the BS. That helps me get cleared up, though, to know that she was telling me the truth! Haha. Not that I don't trust her, though, she's amazing at what she does. x3 I appreciate the input!

Thank you, Echo! I've been told that a lot. I tend to worry about others first than myself. I need to start worrying more about me, though, so I can be able to help others. I'm thinking more so about helping families who aren't abusive or anything of that sort. I don't think I could handle it, but if I did do it, I at least know they have one person who cares about them. (:

I've already learned a bit of sign language though in one night. I'm picking it up faster than I thought I would! I already know the alphabet, double letters, can count up to ten, know a few phrases and signs. I'm really enjoying this, and it's making me feel not so useless due to my recently diagnosed disability. (:

Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Sounds like a great opportunity and plan. It's a great group of kids to work with.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Oh, yes, I totally agree! I work with them already as a volunteer and I LOVE it! (:

Return to “For Everyone”