Sigil Magick

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Sigil Magick

Post by Seraphin »

Sigil magick is used to manifest wishes and desires by translating them into a symbolic form and then sending that image into the sub-conscious where it should then manifest into our lives.

The reason for doing so is that when we concentrate on a particular wish or desire, our feelings about it could be conflicted, robbing it of the power to manifest. However with a sigil, you are concentrating on the symbol of that desire rather than the desire itself (and the more you can "forget" about the wish/desire the better) means that you can concentrate on it fully.

In some following posts I will detail the process I use.

First Stage: Intention

This is going to seem a bit of a convoluted way of approaching this, however as its a magickal process I find the more effort I put in the more effective it has been. Of course, if something is more urgent or immediate (and you know clearly what you want) then I just break it down and do the sigil, then charge it.

The first stage in Sigil work is to determine what you want to manifest.

As we are going to be trying to forget about this once we do the sigil, I try to come up with a list of about 5 things I would like to manifest.

So for example I might write down (I'm guessing these would be pretty common wishes):

1. More money
2. More free time
3. More happiness
4. More sex
5. Healthier

Then I have a look at each wish and consider what I'm really wanting in that area, and possible problems with that wish. (for instance the wish "to be irresistible to women" could have you turned into a chocolate bar Wink ). If I'm unsure, then I generally pull a tarot card and see if that helps, if not I generally remove it from the list.

Another thing I try to do is change it from an external "thing" to an internal "change"

So for 1. More Money, I'd consider what need I am really trying to address here (money might not be the only solution), for instance the reason I may want more money is to feel more secure, so that in the case of an emergency I wouldn't have to worry. So perhaps a better thing to ask for than money is to reduce the amount of money wasted and so be able to save more money. so would then put into a statement such as:

1. I wish for a greater capacity to save

And then so on down the list so we might end up with a list such as:

1. I wish for a greater capacity to save
2. I wish to make better use of my free time
3. I wish to reduce my expectations of other people
4. I wish to increase my capacity to feel intimacy
5. I wish to find more ways to live healthier

Second Stage: Distillation

So now we take the list of "wishes" and on another piece of paper we write out those again but with out the "I wish to/for" and without spaces between the words so for my examples I'd end up with:

greatercapacitytosave
betteruseofmyfreetime
reduceexpectationsofotherpeople
increasecapacitytofeelintimacy
morewaystolivehealthier

Now cross out the vowels and any repeating letters (I generally remove repeating letters all together, however other people leave the letter in but remove all further repetitions, both ways work, so its up to you which you prefer).

Then on another piece of paper write out the letters that are left:

gpysv
bsy
dxnsfhl
rspflm
mwysv

Now put the first two pieces of paper somewhere safe, and cut the paper up so each line is on a separate piece of paper, and put this in another safe place (separate) for a day or two and we will then be ready to chose and draw a sigil.

Third Stage: Sigilisation

So take out the 5 strips of paper with the letter on them and pick one randomly.

I got rspflm

Now on a seprate peice of paper work these letters into an image

For example like this:

You now have your sigil! :fairy:
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
AnaisStar

Re: Sigil Magick

Post by AnaisStar »

Ive never done much with these. I like your explanation. Very simple and straight forward. Thanks for sharing.
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

You are welcome to try it Anaistar! If you're using any affirmations you can convert them into sigils as well!
Seraphin

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

This is a very nice explanation of how to make this important and valuable tool, thanks Seraphin.
I have done similar work with colored sand, we draw it out as part of the ritual, then whoever the sigil is for, spends some time with the drawing, then meditates with it, sometime we draw the symbols around the recipient so that they can sit and be absorbed in the power. At the end it is washed away.
What sorts of materials do you put your sigils on? And what do you use to mark them?
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

I have lately been drawn to sigil magick. It has really been on my mind a lot, but I have been unsure how to start. Thank you breaking it down like you have done, this helps me tremendously!
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Ah, just noticed this thread. Wonderful, Seraphin.
When I first started with magick, I was drawn to Chaos magick very very much and kept some of the basics within my practice. I love drawing sigils on my candles and I make runic talismans that are basically sigils of the intention.
Anyway, I like another method of sigil magick too - the sound sigil. It basically is the same thing, but instead of making shapes and drawing, you simply say what you got after the distillation. I alter it a little bit, so it sounds better and start repeating it until I feel it's time to stop.
I'll give you an example. Say you wish you loved yourself more. So we have "It's my will to love myself more". Then you do the distillation and you get "Itsmywltovefr". Alter it, because this will be hard to say. And you get "its mywolt fevr". Or you can alter it another way, it's your choice. So now you have a sound sigil which can also be viewed as a kind of mantra. Say this as many times as you want or feel right. I have included several of these to rituals instead of chants. They work fine.
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

firebirdflys wrote:This is a very nice explanation of how to make this important and valuable tool, thanks Seraphin.
I have done similar work with colored sand, we draw it out as part of the ritual, then whoever the sigil is for, spends some time with the drawing, then meditates with it, sometime we draw the symbols around the recipient so that they can sit and be absorbed in the power. At the end it is washed away.
Thanks and you're welcome FF!

I have done a lot of magick with sand too. Occasionally, I used it to create sigils for spells which aid in visualization for directing energy and sometimes used in sympathetic magick as well. Sand can also be used in absorbing energy and a witch can then use that energy to affect the target of a spell.

Now about the colored sand, there's a technique I've read in Scott Cunningham's Earth, Air, Fire, & Water. He describes a spell for trapping negativity before they can enter the home. He recommends placing charged sands of different colors into a jar; one layer, then topping it with a second layer of a different color and so on until it's so full that when you put the lid on it doesn't move. Recite your spell of choice and project your power and will, visualize negativity being absorbed into the sand before it can reach your place of abode, and bury it outside your house or somewhere accessible.

Just thought I'd share
firebirdflys wrote:What sorts of materials do you put your sigils on? And what do you use to mark them?
Blessings, Firebird
I'm happier using tea-stained papers for making talisman than cardboard and metal.

Usually, the paper I used is stained in a potion of black pepper, cumin powder, pulverized cinnamon leaves, rust, chicken bone dust and god knows what else (I forgot the rest).
YanaKhan wrote: Anyway, I like another method of sigil magick too - the sound sigil. It basically is the same thing, but instead of making shapes and drawing, you simply say what you got after the distillation. I alter it a little bit, so it sounds better and start repeating it until I feel it's time to stop.
I'll give you an example. Say you wish you loved yourself more. So we have "It's my will to love myself more". Then you do the distillation and you get "Itsmywltovefr". Alter it, because this will be hard to say. And you get "its mywolt fevr". Or you can alter it another way, it's your choice. So now you have a sound sigil which can also be viewed as a kind of mantra. Say this as many times as you want or feel right. I have included several of these to rituals instead of chants. They work fine.
Thanks for sharing this Yana! I will definitely try this out!
Seraphin

BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

Seraphin wrote: Usually, the paper I used is stained in a potion of black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, rust, bone dust and god knows what else (I forgot the rest).
I do the same thing but i only add cinnamon, pepper and rust to mine or i add it to the ink/water colors im working with I did mine on a whim thinking hum this might help it along I didnt know others did it too *yay for whims smiley_dance *

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”