Alternatives to incense

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
Lunar Rose

Alternatives to incense

Post by Lunar Rose »

Hello,

I like the use of incense to represent the air element when doing rituals and spells, however, I have a really unusual sense of smell. I have broken my nose seven time (I know!) and so can't smell very much, the things that I can smell, I seem to be much more sensitive to than most other people.

I really can't stand the smell of incense, to the point that it makes me feel sick! I've tried different scents but they all smell the same to me.

I have considered the idea of using a burner with a tea light to burn essential oils instead, but I was wondering if this would still represent the air element, or if it would be fire, because it requires a flame? Do you guys have any thoughts or suggests that I can use?

Thank you and blessed be!
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Alternatives to incense

Post by loona wynd »

Lunar Rose wrote:Hello,

I like the use of incense to represent the air element when doing rituals and spells, however, I have a really unusual sense of smell. I have broken my nose seven time (I know!) and so can't smell very much, the things that I can smell, I seem to be much more sensitive to than most other people.

I really can't stand the smell of incense, to the point that it makes me feel sick! I've tried different scents but they all smell the same to me.

I have considered the idea of using a burner with a tea light to burn essential oils instead, but I was wondering if this would still represent the air element, or if it would be fire, because it requires a flame? Do you guys have any thoughts or suggests that I can use?

Thank you and blessed be!
The scented tinctures I make are designed to be used as alternatives to incenses. Magical tinctures work the same as essential oils when it comes to releasing their scents. Some people have issues with smoke. Some people cant actually burn things. So using a light bulb oil diffuser for essential oils provides you with inclines with out the burning and the smoke.

I would still see it as representing the element of air. You are dealing with scent mostly here and scent is an air based sense. So you are working with air. You can't see the air like you can with incense smoke but the effect is still working through the air just differently,

Incense has always been a mixture of fire and air symbolism any way.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Luna Rose. I use an oil burner as an option to incense. Sometimes my respiratory system just is not in the mood for incense smoke, though I love incense. When the heat is high from the oil burner's tea light, I can see the steam rising and billowing from the oil/herbs at top of the burner. Looks enough like smoke to me to give me the same "effect." Plus, the smell of the heated oil and/or herbs fills up the room and is pretty strong sometimes, almost as strong as incense, yet without the smoke. Personally, I think you're good with the burner.

Lunar Rose

Post by Lunar Rose »

Great, thank you both for your input. Sounds crazy, but I'd never really thought of incense as fire, but I suppose you're right, there is that fire aspect to it. I think that for the time being, I'll use my oil burner. I'm sure that if it doesn't feel right, I'll be able to find an alternative! Thanks for you help! :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Lunar Rose wrote:Great, thank you both for your input. Sounds crazy, but I'd never really thought of incense as fire, but I suppose you're right, there is that fire aspect to it.
There is fire in it. There is also earth (the ash) and in some cases water (sap in some dried herbal incense blends). With your oils you have water in that the form the incense is taking is liquid. You have fire from the candle and you have air in the scent. The eart could be the holder set up for the tealight and the bowl above for the oil. So in some way you have all of the elements present in every way you can use an incense.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

For the element of air I often use a feather I found in nature, and for the rest - a tealight for fire, a stone for earth, and some rain water for water.

Like Kassandra, I also use burners often.

Agree with Loona that incense covers all the elements.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

I am allergic to incense and use potpourri of herbs in my censer unlit for air. I do anoint candles with oil but pay the price later with sinus headaches. I rarely use smudging herbs except outside and for a short time. A feather to sybolize air can also substitute.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Here's an older post that I think might help http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25172.html :flyingwitch:
starlady

Post by starlady »

im useing insence-cones?you light it?but blow the little flame out,and it is like a incence then? smells are great,plus you can get like fruit smells etc too,i just use white-sage for clearing the room,but put the cone on something has it completely goes to ash,and will burn table its on,i learnt that lol
random417

Post by random417 »

If it's just too intense, but you find that incense is the way to go, consider trying the charcoal blocks designed for it and loose incense. I'm pretty sensitive to it myself, and that gives me more control over the amount of smoke and scent
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

You can always use an object for air like a feather or wind chimes. Incense isn't required for any work.
Lunar Rose

Post by Lunar Rose »

Holdasown wrote:You can always use an object for air like a feather or wind chimes. Incense isn't required for any work.
Thank you everyone for your advice. There are some really good ideas here! I think that I'm going to use my oil burner, but also find myself an object that feels personal to me to represent air, as suggested, a feather or windchime. I'm going to wait until I find something that I feel a connection to, hopefully the Goddess will give me a sign soon!

Thank you all for your amazing advice!
elloclarice

Post by elloclarice »

A burner can be used for air since it's mainly the smell your focusing on that's in the air rather than the flame. You could also use a birds feather for air if you wish

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”