February Moon Magick

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
North Star

February Moon Magick

Post by North Star »

~Working with the Moon in the month of February~

"Just as you begin to feel a change in the days and hear the echo of a new season, Juno Februa, patroness of February, the 'love month', awakens you with her signature trait: febris...the fever of love. She introduces herself as she truly is, the original Valentine. And then there's Brigid, the bright Goddess who holds the torch from which you ignite your lovelight, who arrives at Candlemas on Feb 2nd to purify your heart and make all things new again." -from The Goddess' Guide to Love: Timeless Secrets to Divine Romance by Margie Lapanja

Since I keep notes on this for my own reference anyway, and its and important part of how I practice, I thought I would share some thoughts for monthly moon phases and different ways to work with them and other correspondences. Maybe start a new topic for each month.

*Please note: this is just my opinion, thoughts and beliefs, based on my own practice and experience, and other info I find relative or interesting or can relate to personally. Kind of a personal moon journal, as well. Not meant to be a complete source of information on moon phases or monthly correspondences... or one that will relate to everyone. ;)

Each month I take a look at the timing of new and full moons, the days they fall on, correspondences for the month and how I can use that with spells or rituals. February for me is a month to connect with the Love Goddess, and the moon phases this month line up pretty well for that. Since I read somewhere that the Venus retrograde this past month has been 'a time when the Love Goddess turns its back on you' (was a little harsh and upsetting for me considering I feel strongly connected!) I am looking forward to working with the energy in February. The Love Goddess is back and I am excited. I have felt the drain, for sure. I experienced an explosion of energy on the winter solstice, also the day Venus went retrograde... since then have been totally drained, magickally speaking. I am hoping for a boost this Friday and the wheels have been turning with ideas on how to welcome February. I need to renew and refresh, that is for sure.

January ends with venus turning direct, on a Friday (the day of love) and also the energy of a new, 'black' moon. I think there is some great opportunity here for new moon magick heading into February. Some use the time of the new, or dark moon, for rest. Some use it to work magick, including manifestation magick as well as cleansings or even love magick. I see the dark moon as the Enchantress (who is also called the Temptress) and find it is sometimes more powerful for me than the full moon. Love spells can be started on the new moon and carried into the full moon. Any spell can, any manifestation spell can work well when done in this manner. As far as love spells/magick, we will also have the full moons energy on Friday, Valentines Day. ♥

Working with the moons energy in February can be productive on many levels... self confidence, easing a broken heart, attraction spells, healing, starting fresh, enhancing an existing relationship (or healing one), increasing love/passion, self love and appreciation, beauty, fertility, strength and renewal magick. Since February is a time for renewal (and some say for love)... it is a great time to work on mending broken hearts and making way for new love.

Some info and quotes from other sources:

Quickening Moon by Patti Wigginton

In February, the nights are cold and we begin to feel a bit of cabin fever. We're tired of being cooped up in the house, and there's a part of us that's just longing for a bit of warmth. This is the season of Imbolc, the days when we know that if we can just hold on for a few more weeks, we might get lucky and see little green shoots peeking out through the snow and slush.

This is a month when new life is beginning, but still lies dormant. Pregnant animals, due in the spring, begin to feel the quickening of their unborn young. The earth itself is quickening, as seeds and bulbs far beneath the soil begin their journey towards the light. We know these things are coming -- and we know also that this is a good month to make plans for the future. We can dream and hope, and set goals for ourselves. Accept responsibility for mistakes you've made in the past, and move on. Magical workings this month should focus on personal achievements and advancement.

Also Known As: Hunger Moon, Ice Moon *(some call it Chaste Moon, Storm Moon, Full Snow Moon)

Correspondences:
•Colors: Purple and blue
•Gemstones: Rose quartz, amethyst, jasper
•Trees: Rowan, Myrtle
•Gods: Brighid, Aphrodite, Juno, Mars
•Herbs: Hyssop, sage, myrrh
•Element: Fire

A little bit about the new moon since this event leads us into the month of February. Being a time of renewal it seems like a great time for manifestation magick all around...

'The new moon is the birthing cycle of the moon's various phases. Are you ready to attract your heartfelt longings by doing a moon ritual focused on manifestation? The new moon phase is an optimal time for planning and seeding your intentions. Seedlings need a period of gestation before they break through the soil and reach for the sunlight. This is also true for our cultivating our ideas and clearing the way for our visions to surface in reality. The dark side of the moon, with its mysterious unseen forces, offers a nurturing environment where our intentions can establish roots before their miraculous manifestations begin to sprout and reach out to the stars.' by Phylameana lila desy

Use the moon wisely this February for all that your heart desires, and all that needs to start anew. I know I will. :flyingwitch:
North Star

Re: February Moon Magick

Post by North Star »

~Hail to Februata~
by James Patterson

A stirring from within
Our true selves rise to the surface
And the wheel turns once again

Hail to our fair priestess
Who toils and doth spin
Hail to the sun child ever eager
For initiations to begin

Hail to the heat of Febris
O sweetest goddess of bliss
I hunger for consumption
And burn for the fire's kiss

Halfway to spring from winter
On a blessed Oimelc night
The lambs are nursing on the hill
Each day the sun grows in its might

Bless our coven, Februata
From your smithy, forge its seat
Temper it hotter and stronger
Everytime that it meets

Hail Februata!
Feverish Goddess!
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Great post thank you for sharing.

I recently became connected to Selene, so will be honoring her and Apollo on Febs full moon next week. Im doing a spell that started on the new moon, through the waxing moon to bring things into my life (I love the idea of planting seeds) that will result with the final step of the spell on the full moon.

This is focusing on planting something to happen this year that Im working on.
North Star

Post by North Star »

Happy to share, thanks for commenting.

Interesting you mentioned Selene. I wanted some new stones for this month and one that I really wanted was a selenite heart. Selenite is associated with the Goddess Selene, contains feminine energy and can be used to connect with Goddess energy. As well as many other great uses. It's my first piece of selenite and I really love this stone.

I love planting spells also. Sounds like you have a great plan in the works. :)

Blessings to you!

Selenite is another name for a mineral called Gypsum. Selenite comes from the Greek word "Selenites", Which means "Moon Stone" or "Moon Rock". The root word "Selene" means "Moon". Selene is also the name of the Greek Goddess of the moon AKA Artemis or Diana.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

This months full moon is also St. Valentine's Day. I don't think love spells are ethical but it might be a great night to divine any love issues or to see if love is in the works.
North Star

Post by North Star »

Hi Holdasown. Yes I am excited for Valentines Day falling on a Friday (and full moon energy!) smileylove Thank you for mentioning the unethical side of love spells and magick. I know I should clarify a few things on this thread...

Not sure I can agree that it is unethical to connect to a Love Goddess, which is really my intention for this months full moon more than simply 'love spells'... I also dont think a love spell for a 20 year marriage or with someone who shares the same feelings is wrong. Or maybe a self love spell to atract more love into your life or to be more loving to others? Those are my kind of love spells.

What is unethical, and I agree with this part, is the idea of trying to force another and that is not what I am suggesting or even deal with at all. I think at this point in my life I am not even sure I can agree with the 'free will' of others being under anyones control, I don't think it is possible. I don't focus on that, or worry about it because it has never been part of my practicing. But that is where many minds go immedietly when they hear 'love spells' and I just want to stress, that is not what I am promoting.

Thank you for bringing it up, Holdasown. I knew this would be mentioned here and needed to give an explanation. I do understand many feel this way. I just want to clarify on this thread I do not condone those 'love sick puppy' spells, but there is so much more than that, for ourselves and our mutually in-love partners. Not crushes on someone we dont even know. Those, yes, unethical and in my opinion they dont even stand a chance of working. The threefold in those, I believe, is the spell caster becomes more obsessed and it is unhealthy. I don't perform 'forcing of others free will' kind of stuff or would ever suggest it.

I do not celebrate Imbloc (but seem to relate to certain traditions I guess) and always found this a loving time. I know how many feel about love spells in general, and I totally repsect that. ;)

Blessings to you, and thank you again for commenting! ♥
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I agree completely. I don't have an issue with spells to help a couple get through something. I think the other person should know you are doing it. I mean by unethical love spells those, they don't know I exist so I want to force them to like me, kinda spells. I also think asking for hints or doing divination about love is no big deal. :D
North Star

Post by North Star »

Thanks, Holdasown. :)

I like the divination idea. There is just some extra magick in the air on the Full Moon.

It is so important to stress this month is for new beginnings, fresh starts, growth and fertility. Love is just a little part I throw in my own mix.

I don't like those kind of spells at all, either. Absolutely agree on that. ;)

Return to “Working with the Moon”