Imbolc

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Lover of War

Imbolc

Post by Lover of War »

If you celebrate Imbolc, then what do you plan to do this year? I'm planning to just plant some seeds and keep the plants indoors for like a while til the frost is gone.
Heartsong

Re: Imbolc

Post by Heartsong »

My brother and I are going to light a bonfire in one of my fields (play some music and spend time together) and we're prepping another one for planting a vegetable and herb garden. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Lover of War

Post by Lover of War »

That seems awesome! :D
Klia

Post by Klia »

This is my first Imbolc! So excited!

I plan on making many meals containing dairy, since that is the 'usual' food for this Sabbat. Such as grilled cheese, "bacon" ranch pasta salad - with fake bacon, maybe buy a cake or cupcakes, and make deviled eggs and tomato parmesan.

I'd also like to buy an indoor plant to liven up my apartment. And bring in the spirits and fae =)

Of course this year Imbolc is on Superbowl Sunday, so I get to spend time with my family.
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I actually do Groundhogs Day which was established by the PA Dutch as a carry over from Germany. It would have been a beaver or badger I think over there. Anyway basically it's about noticing the hibernating animals if they are out moving about or still sleeping. If they were out you knew winter was ending. The standard is white and green veggies, usually broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage rolls make with pork. It's also when you should have your scarecrow, or Butzemann done.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Around here, I notice when the skunks start coning out. The poor little guys are still groggy, and have a high mortality rate on the road.

This Imbolc will mark thirty-eight years since my dad passed.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

SnowCat wrote:Around here, I notice when the skunks start coning out. The poor little guys are still groggy, and have a high mortality rate on the road.

This Imbolc will mark thirty-eight years since my dad passed.

Frosty
Sorry the day is tied with a loss for you. Was your dad pagan?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

My dad was Mormon, with an interest in the metaphysical. My mom was Catholic, with a firm belief that the Catholic Church has the power to send people to hell.

I've gotten past falling apart every year on Imbolc. That took about 25 years. My dad and I were close. My mother, unfotunately, was most likely bipolar, but undiagnosed. Growing up was interesting.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I will be burning a white glass encased candle...it has been adorned with a tube of red paper mache' spiraling around from bottom to top. I will burn it in ceremony from Friday through Monday, it's my Brigid's candle, it was sparked by a candle that had been sparked by her sacred flame in Kildare. The candle is getting rather low and it may be time for a new one. I may have a hard time finding a glass encased one of substantial proportion as they have shrunk in size over the years, (has anyone else noticed that.??..you know the kind you find at the market, with the religious sayings printed with a pic of the virgin Mary or Jesus or whomever...sometimes they have plain white or other colors. they were known as 7 day candles, because it would take 7 days to burn out, and many traditions used a 7 day time period for spells and messages to the other side, etc..Now these candles burn for about 3 and 1/4 days :( )
(woah, that was a rant) anyway...
We also have a dedicant that will be initiated and receiving her red cord, and we plan on a marathon of rituals... Friday we will partake in the Moon just coming out of her darkness, Saturday the dedicant will go on a vision quest while the rest of us prep ritual space, for a truly magical birthing ceremony the initiate will undergo later at dusk..reborn into the East... like the baby that takes in it's first breath of air at birth, in our tradition, we are now entering the quadrant of Air. ( In a perfect world the quest would last the night and the initiation would be at dawn, unfortunately logistics sometimes get in the way) We will have someone aspect Brigid the triple Goddess, to bless the newly born Witch. Then initiate will drink from the chalice that contains water from Brighid's sacred well (ok.. so it will be spring water, with a couple drops of water from Brigid's Well...gotta use sparingly! the stuff is like Gold!... Then we're off to a fabulous dinner out at our favorite health food restaurant. Sunday we will celebrate Imbolc with a ritual of sweeping in the "new", then enjoy some milk and honey, and make Brigid's crosses.
For those who wish to stay on, we will follow with BBQ and the Superbowl! (yeah! my team the Seahawks is in there!)
Monday...I think I'll sleep :shock:
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

SnowCat wrote:My dad was Mormon, with an interest in the metaphysical. My mom was Catholic, with a firm belief that the Catholic Church has the power to send people to hell.

I've gotten past falling apart every year on Imbolc. That took about 25 years. My dad and I were close. My mother, unfotunately, was most likely bipolar, but undiagnosed. Growing up was interesting.

Frosty
Well I am glad your at that point but it's still hard.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

firebirdflys wrote:I will be burning a white glass encased candle...it has been adorned with a tube of red paper mache' spiraling around from bottom to top. I will burn it in ceremony from Friday through Monday, it's my Brigid's candle, it was sparked by a candle that had been sparked by her sacred flame in Kildare. The candle is getting rather low and it may be time for a new one. I may have a hard time finding a glass encased one of substantial proportion as they have shrunk in size over the years, (has anyone else noticed that.??..you know the kind you find at the market, with the religious sayings printed with a pic of the virgin Mary or Jesus or whomever...sometimes they have plain white or other colors. they were known as 7 day candles, because it would take 7 days to burn out, and many traditions used a 7 day time period for spells and messages to the other side, etc..Now these candles burn for about 3 and 1/4 days :( )
(woah, that was a rant) anyway...
We also have a dedicant that will be initiated and receiving her red cord, and we plan on a marathon of rituals... Friday we will partake in the Moon just coming out of her darkness, Saturday the dedicant will go on a vision quest while the rest of us prep ritual space, for a truly magical birthing ceremony the initiate will undergo later at dusk..reborn into the East... like the baby that takes in it's first breath of air at birth, in our tradition, we are now entering the quadrant of Air. ( In a perfect world the quest would last the night and the initiation would be at dawn, unfortunately logistics sometimes get in the way) We will have someone aspect Brigid the triple Goddess, to bless the newly born Witch. Then initiate will drink from the chalice that contains water from Brighid's sacred well (ok.. so it will be spring water, with a couple drops of water from Brigid's Well...gotta use sparingly! the stuff is like Gold!... Then we're off to a fabulous dinner out at our favorite health food restaurant. Sunday we will celebrate Imbolc with a ritual of sweeping in the "new", then enjoy some milk and honey, and make Brigid's crosses.
For those who wish to stay on, we will follow with BBQ and the Superbowl! (yeah! my team the Seahawks is in there!)
Monday...I think I'll sleep :shock:
BB, Firebird
That sounds great, busy but great
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

I am doing something quite simple for my first celebrated Sabbat (family oblige). I plan to make a dairy based meal such as cheesecake and crêpes, and a plate of cheese. If the weather is kinder than now, i might be able to go outside under the moon, but no bonfire. I am not sure it is authorized here ahah
i haven't had the chance to buy tools and candles for spells or ritual yet -school is busier than i remembered- byt i will light candles throughout the house to celebrate the coming of Light. And a few prayers to the Lord and Lady.

like i say, very simple, but it feels right somehow.
all your plans sound delightful ! I hope you spend a good time !
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.
Lover of War

Post by Lover of War »

That all seems awesome. :) Like i said im planning to plant a flower which i think will be Rose and some others. The Rose will be basically an offering to Aphrodite, and the other flowers will be just bcuz i want to start a garden.
Lover of War

Post by Lover of War »

But i also got a good idea from everybody. Since i have plenty of candles, i will light one for each of my windows, and maybe write some poetry and paint too.
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

WiccanTeen7 wrote:But i also got a good idea from everybody. Since i have plenty of candles, i will light one for each of my windows, and maybe write some poetry and paint too.
I think that's a great idea!

I always imagine Imbolc with being a spark that lights up within that was once sleeping during the winter. Spark=Waking of Life

For me, During yule I write down my upcoming years resolutions and goals (2 copies). Then for Imbolc, I usually do a bonfire or at least candles. Then burn 1 copy of my goals to send them out. It's symbolic of my goals and plans for sparking and starting for the year.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”