Share Your Favorite Yule Recipe!

Share your recipes and food tips here.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Share Your Favorite Yule Recipe!

Post by Xiao Rong »

Yule means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, but one thing that's pretty common among all Yule celebrations is FOOD! So I thought I'd start a thread for the many culinary ways we can celebrate Yule.

I'll go first!

Last year, I made a Yule Log (Buche de Noel) for the first time as a subtle way to introduce a little Yule for our secular Christmas gathering in my non-religious family. It was a little complicated to make, and the resulting cake is a little small (not great to feed a crowd, by any means), but enough for everyone to have a little slice for dessert and for good luck for the coming year.

[my cake was not nearly so beautifully decorated; this is an image from the original recipe here]

Chocolate Swiss Roll
3 large eggs
1/2 c. caster sugar
1/4 c. plain flour
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder

Fillings:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons of chocolate spread

Whipped Cream Frosting:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
½ teaspoon coffee liquor or vanilla essence

1. Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius. Lightly grease the base and slides of a (9×12 inch) swiss roll tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. Set aside.

2. Beat the eggs in a medium mixing bowl with caster sugar for about 8 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy. The mixture should be able to hold its shape for a while without dripping. Sift plain flour and cocoa powder together; fold gently into the egg mixture with a spatula.

3. Next spread the mixture evenly into the prepared tin and bake for about 8 minutes or until the cake is just set.

4. Meanwhile, place a clean tea towel on a work surface, top with a sheet of baking paper and sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of caster sugar.

5. When the cake is cooked, turn it out immediately onto the prepared paper and sugar. Roll the cake up from the long side, rolling the paper inside the roll and using the tea towel as a guide. Stand the rolled cake on a wire rack for 5 minutes, before carefully unroll the cake and allow it to cool to room temperature. Wait for 5 minutes before unroll to cool.

6. To prepare the filling: Beat the cream until soft peak (a soft peak is reached when the beaters are pulled out of the whites and the peaks that form droop) stir in the chocolate spread and continue to beat until stiff peaks form (Stiff peaks do not droop, but hold their shape).

7. Spread the cream over the cooled cake, leaving a 1cm border around each edge. Reroll the cake, using the paper as a guide, place the roll seam-side-down on a try and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

8. To assemble the cake with frosting – Place your mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 15 minutes then place the whipping cream, extract and icing sugar into the bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Trim the two sides of the roll and cut another 2cm slice off from one end of the cake and set aside.

9. Spread the whipped cream on the roll from sides to top and fix the extra slice on it to make a stump. Spread remaining icing over the cake, then decorate it with shaved chocolates and food-safe and pretty Christmas ornaments. Keep in the fridge until ready to be served.

Bonus Ideas For Extra Magic
- After you've removed the cake from the oven and it's set, try lightly inscribing runes that convey your wishes for the coming year, such as :joyrune: for joy or :wealthrune: for prosperity, or maybe a pentacle for protection. When you roll up the cake again, everyone who eats the Yule Log will consume your good wishes!
- Create an incantation that you speak as you mix the cake to welcome the Sun back or for the new year! (sorry, I can't think of one off the top of my head)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Kassandra

Re: Share Your Favorite Yule Recipe!

Post by Kassandra »

Oooo, I love these "share your favorites," especially food. Yay, can't wait to see what people post.

Return to “Food and Recipes”