My plants

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
YanaKhan

My plants

Post by YanaKhan »

Hey all, I am quite interested in Herbalism and planting, although I am not quite aware of how to plant. I do have some plants which I have grown from seeds. I have an avocado tree, a grapefruit tree and some flowers along with tangerine tree and am trying to grow ginger root. So here is a picture of my beautiful avocado tree which is now about a meter high. I hope I would be able to show you the ginger plant next.
Attachments
avocado.jpg
Kassandra

Re: My plants

Post by Kassandra »

Elcida wrote:... I am not quite aware of how to plant....
Looks like you're doing a great job, to me. :wink: Thanks for sharing.

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I mean I don't really know what soil to use, which plant requires more water than the other and what season is suitable to transplant. I just put the seed in the soil and then water it, but it seems to work every time. And I do love this tree, I think it's beautiful :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Elcida wrote:I just put the seed in the soil and then water it, but it seems to work every time.
= magic touch. lol :fairy:

Man, I love avocados.

Jonjonsalinas_

Post by Jonjonsalinas_ »

Don't worry! I was the same way! :) the best thing to do is ask around from other gardeners an do some research online. I have a farmers market that comes on Saturday and I made some friends with a few herbalists or gardeners that love to give me tips (since most of them are a bit older and I'm a teenager :p ) so my advice to you is to network and make friends :) hope this helps!
Bright blessings,
Jonathon
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

OK, I'm not really a maniac of healthy eating, but still, I do like healthy food (although I do eat fried things, I try not to do it very often). So anyway, I decided I'm going to grow some wheat-grass to make juice. So I'm going to keep an image diary to my first try. And here we go. I soaked the wheat in a jar last night and today I drained it. This is very simple - I just made holes on the jar lid and drained the water. So here I have drained wheat grains that are supposed to become sprouts the next 24 hours and then I'm going to plant them. Hopefully this is not boring to all of you. :flyingwitch:
Attachments
This is the jar lid.
This is the jar lid.
jar.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
These are the drained grains.
These are the drained grains.
wheat.jpg (6.68 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

OK, so I have the sprouts of my wheatgrass and planted them. What I did is - I got a flowerpot and filled it with soil and soaked it with water. Then I sprinkled the sprouts over the soil and covered them with a cloth which again I soaked with water. Now I'll be waiting for the sprouts to grow and will be watering them every day. In 2 - 3 days I will post update on how big they are. And here are the pictures.
Attachments
sprout.jpg
soil.jpg
sprout in.jpg
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

And the covered sprouts.
Attachments
cover .jpg
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I was just talking to someone about this the other day. We were eating salad with some kind of bean sprouts sprinkled on them, and she was talking about how she puts beans in a jar, adds water, lets them sprout for a while, and other steps. I was excited to get some of my own started, but when I got home I forgot all about it. This post was a great reminder. lol

If you'd like, start a blog in the Member's Blog forum about all your plant projects. I think it would be interesting to watch your plants grow, and hear what works, what doesn't work, etc. I, for one, would love to read it. :wink:

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Yes, thank you, I will do that. I never meant to be a spammer :) But a personal blog is a great idea. Thanks again.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Cool, have fun.

About your avocado tree in the OP, how'd you get it started? Did you put it in a cup with toothpicks until it sprouted, then put it in soil? I've seen that a lot.

I hate throwing avocado pits away. I think I'm going to start keeping them. I mean, look at all the cool artwork people make out of them: https://www.google.com/search?q=avocado ... 80&bih=623 And there's got to be charms or spell work they could be used for. I think I'm going to keep them from now on.

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

About the avocado - I started by planting the pit into the soil directly. But that way it takes ages to grow. Mine took like 2 months to get a little sprout. I've heard that the ones planted in water first, sprout quickly.
And that link - WOW, amazing stuff, I absolutely love it.

Return to “Gardening”