My Travels with Odin

If you'd like to have your own blog here, start yourself a thread. Use your member name somewhere in the title so people will know who you are. The blogs here should be mostly about your spiritual path and beliefs.
Heartsong

My Travels with Odin

Post by Heartsong »

I know! You're all thinking, "She talks enough! Don't let her have a blog!" :P

I want to use this as a chronicle, or journal, of sorts, because some of the things that have been happening in my life are so strange and so sudden that I just have to put them in writing. For the most part, I believe I want this to be an account of my interactions with the black-haired man (whom I've comfirmed to be Odin) that I've been seeing. I'll link the posts where I've been discussing him right here:

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24972.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25027.html

As what has become a bit of a regular occurence for me, I saw him again while I was meditating yesterday morning. I could see a lone, large stone boulder standing in the middle of a field, with mist covering the grass. It was so vivid that I could make out dew on the ground. He came forward out of the fog and casually put his hand on the stone. I'll try to recount the dialogue that followed to the best of my ability.

He spoke first.

"You know me."

"Yes, I know you."

He smiled confidently and I could see him put one hand in the pocket of his coat.

"You shouldn't be afraid. I'll protect you."

(I believe he said this due to where I was at. I was sitting in the car waiting for my mother to come out from my grandparents' house. We've been caring for them, as they're in their early 90s and dementia has taken its toll on their ability to care for themselves. My grandfather has always been verablly and physically abusive, but the recent decline in his mental health has made him extremely aggressive, to the point that altercations are nearly daily. Yesterday, I just couldn't go in and deal with him.)

He then told me that my intuition had been correct. I'd been having serious tugs on my attention, telling me to research as much about runes as I could. Then he said,

"Take your time. The runes will tell you."

I didn't bother to ask what they're going to tell me. I think he just likes being cryptic. -.-

At any rate, I opened my eyes and the fog lifted from in front of them like it's been doing. With a little luck, the books I'm reading will give me suffiecient information that I'll feel comfortable starting reading my runes. As usual, it was very brief, very dramatic, and somewhat frustrating and comforting all rolled up into one. If anyone has more insight into working with Odin, please share with me your experiences in dealing with his personality and if he's done you this way. I appreciate figuring things out for myself, and please don't think I'm complaining, but clarity would be sorely welcome from Him one of these days. :?

Ah, well, I reckon it comes with the territory. Now, on to finishing my report for work and then some light research on Norse mythology. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

My Travels with Odin

Post by Heartsong »

Just a quick little experience that happened on Samhain.

I was shopping for some last minute things I wanted for my ritual that night and I was flying through the produce section. I literally skidded to a stop and froze in front of the fruits and before I even registered the action, I'd dropped a carton of strawberries into my basket. I didn't question it, just bought them and headed home. That night, I offered them along with some cakes to the Goddess. I haven't settled on any one aspect to worship her in, and am quite comfortable with simply thinking of her as the Triple Goddess.

Yesterday, I was reading one of my new books on runes and the Heathen religion when I came across a passage that had me stunned.

"Another commonly accepted UPG (Unverified Personal Gnosis) is the Goddess Freya likes offerings of strawberries" (Exploring the Northern Tradition by Galina Krasskova).

I'm not going to make any assumptions, but I believe this definitely warrants some meditation and research. :surprisedwitch:
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

My Travels with Odin

Post by Heartsong »

Well, I had some interesting revelations this evening! :surprisedwitch:

I just recently really started working with the runes, under Odin's constant suggestion. I performed one of my very first in-depth, five rune spreads yesterday. Based on my interpretation of those runes, I believe that I received not only an affirmation of Odin being my patron, but also that I may be undergoing, or soon undergo, a kind of spiritual initiation (at least, I came to this conclusion after some discussion with another rune reader who felt that my interpretation was very close to what she would have made). What that means, exactly, I'm not sure, but I think that it could eventually lead to both my dedicating myself to Odin and possibly becoming a priestess, for lack of a better term. On the other hand, I keep reminding myself that it's very possible that Odin will gently extract himself from my life once I learn everything I'm supposed to about the runes. To be perfectly honest, I'm still struggling to accept either idea. I'll post the reading I did for anyone to glance over and make their own conclusions:

The first position represented the basis of the question, or what drove the question, and the first rune I drew was :ashrune: . I believe Ansuz was pointing to the fact that I was, and am, seeking to establish a communication with Odin, seeking knowledge much as he did. I think it is also pointing to my connection with him, and perhaps even encouraging me a little to strengthen that connection through the runes.

The second position represented obstacles, and I drew :elkrune: . I believe this to indicate that I need to have more trust and faith in Odin and that he is guiding me. Algiz seemed to also be indicating a need to open myself up more to him, to communicating, and to the fact that through my divination, I may act as a bridge between this world and the other, in terms of receiving and giving messages if I can learn to effectively work with the runes (and trust my interpretation of them). I also got the impression of drawing Odin's energy and channeling it, for lack of a better term, to trust that I can do that, will help me overcome my trust issue.

The third position represented beneficial energies around me, and here I drew :dayrune: . Dagaz, I think, was pointing towards the potential for me to find my spiritual home, finding "the light of the sun" (that was what I had running through my mind), and that I would achieve, and am in the process of achieving, spiritual growth.

The fourth position represented the possible outcome, and here I drew :cattlerune: . I believe Uruz points to a "soul shaping" taking place, a spiritual initiation of sorts, through working with the runes and following Odin's instructions to do so. I will gain strength through wisdom, experience, and through what is coming in the future hinted at in the final rune, and after reading that last rune, I think I'm going to need it even before that future comes to pass.

The fifth position represented future influences on the outcome, and here I drew :hailrune: . Hagalaz is the one that really got my attention, as I'm sure you can imagine! A short-term chaos bomb going off in my life that will lead to long-term rewards and benefits. It seemed to indicate a regeneration, or transformation, but only through the destruction of something else in my life.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

My Travels with Odin

Post by Heartsong »

Whew, been a while since I posted! After reading Xiao's amazing thread on Persephone and her journey into the Underworld, and after much thought and discussion, I've decided that I need to make my own journey.

It occurred to me almost immediately that I ought to undertake this project by working with the runes. Odin seemed to approved, and even encourage that idea, so with that in mind, I performed a reading last night,and again tonight, with the intent that it would be the first step in my journey. I want to use my blog here to chronicle my findings and progress.

So, the first reading.

It was a very simple, five rune draw, and the first one was Eihwaz :yewrune: , the yewrune. My impressions were of a new beginning, after another chapter has ended in my life. I will have placed one foot in the spiritual world and kept one in the physical, straddling the two. This, I suspect, is going to be part of my purpose, and is part of the reason why Odin chose me in the first place. With this journey, I will be taking a step towards initiation, and will be moving closer to the knowledge of the World Tree. This was also an affirmation of protection, I think, from Odin, and a reminder that he will be with me, guiding me. A third point, I think, is that the Yew tree is associated with the dead, and thus the Underworld, perhaps meaning that I am on the right track.

As I was performing this reading, I let my mind drift a bit, a light meditative state, and as I worked with Eihwaz, I saw a huge, gaping hole in front of me. I stood on the edge of it (which was very green and grassy) and felt that someone was standing, looking down with me.

The second rune was Fehu :wealthrune: , the cattlerune, and it was inversed. For me, this was another indication of an ending, and hence reminded me of death. I was also strongly struck with the phrase "think for yourself", and that to undertake this journey would be a conscious decision on my part. Since it was inversed, I think that it indicates the loss of something important to me, but, I also think that I will have gained something far more important in the process.

One thing about this journey, is that I will be tackling some major fears. One of those fears is loss, loss of loved ones, loss of relationships, loss of life. Perhaps that's what the root of fear actually is; to be afraid of losing something.

The third rune was Jera :yearrune: , the yearrune. From this, I gathered that this journey will be a gradual process, one that will require patience and perseverance. Jera is indicative of the natural cycles and rhythms of life, which includes death. But through death, we gain new life, whether that be in something as abstract and difficult to grasp as the afterlife, or as simple as the new seed of grain that grows from the dust of its forebears. Thus, this rune was another indication of endings and beginnings to me.

The fourth rune was Mannaz :manrune: , the manrune. This is a rune that can indicate self-actualization, and the fulfillment of potential. From studying its shape, I also thought of two equal halves of a whole. This, to me, speaks of completion, of the reconciliation of my Shadow, if you will, that this journey will ultimately bring about. I will have gained new insights about myself, and about my purpose in life. But first, I have to pass through the tests, which is something else that Mannaz has been associated with.

The fifth rune was Hagalaz :hailrune: , the hailrune, and this is where I freaked out a little. Hagalaz is strongly associated not only with a powerful, destructive force that brings about change, it is also very closely tied with Hel, the Norse goddess of the Underworld. Talk about goosebumps!! Once again, death was indicated, but this is metaphorical. This rune, with its shadowy associations of destruction, fear, and death, is thus a great rune to have come across considering that I am undertaking some pretty intensive Shadow work. Hagalaz is often considered to be a negative rune in a reading, but I found it to be rather positive. Not if, but when I complete the transformation that it heralds, one that occurs only after major change and the discovery of knowledge, I will be that much closer to completion, and inner harmony. Hence, it ties in really well with what I felt was indicated by Mannaz.

It was upon making that connection that I saw a flash of a woman with bright gold hair and kind eyes in my mind. She was holding a hand out to me from a rocky outcropping, deep in the cave that I was about to descend into. I felt that, again, there was little for me to actually fear, because she wouldn't let anything happen to me. She would help me, and guide me, as would Odin. Yes, I would have to face many unpleasant things, about myself, about my life, and about my future, but it was important that I trust myself, and trust them to see me through this journey. I won't be alone, and that was a great comfort.

Great enough that I feel like I can do this.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

My Travels with Odin

Post by Heartsong »

I've already completed my second reading, the one for tonight, so I'll go ahead and post it as well. Just as a sidenote, feel free to chime in anywhere if you have a comment or question. :)

The first rune I drew was Sowilo :sunrune: , the sunrune. Again, I felt that this was an affirmation that I'm on the right track, and that I'm being guided down this path (which is nice to keep getting, because I am always questioning, and very suspicious). This, to me, was also pointing out that I was taking action, which was good. As the rune of the sun, it suggests warmth and a protective presence, which I take to be both Kore and Odin. I think I'm also getting closer to actualizing my purpose, whatever that may be.

The second rune was Laguz :lakerune: , the oceanrune. This rune reflects the descent, I think, into the cool darkness of the Underworld. This is the first real step, letting go of the trepidation and letting yourself sink under the water, beyond the surface of your thoughts and towards your Shadow. This is a reminder to probe the depths of my fears in order to reach knowledge, and to achieve individuation. It is through this metaphorical 'death' that I will experience a new life, or a new existence. And as I was meditating on these ideas, I tried to imagine that I was actually sinking, or swimming, underwater, moving deeper into the dark.

The third rune was Thurisaz :thornrune: , thor's rune (inversed). This was the promise of a storm coming, a disruption in my life that will break down my resistance to change. It is a break down that will lead to rebuilding, but that doesn't mean I'm not frightened of it. In fact, as I was meditating, I had a sudden sensation of being trapped in a tunnel, between two tight rocks under the water. I'm extremely claustrophobic and I actually had a fierce bout of panic as I imagined struggling to get free, to push forward and through. The tunnel got tighter and tighter, squeezing me until I finally popped out the other side. I think this was to show me that I can move past my fears, and to not let them hold me back from goals. If I allow them to control me, I can't accomplish anything. Common sense, yeah, but you try facing down Shelob when you're terrified of spiders. :shock:

The fourth rune was again Hagalaz :hailrune:. While my initial thought was strife and rebirth, another one occurred to me that actually made a lot of sense, but it was only after I did a little digging. According to one of my favorite sites,
As the ninth rune, Hagalaz has a special place in the ordering, as nine has particular significance in the elder futhark. Nine signals completion of a perfect pattern. Nine months is one of nature’s most regular human cycles, that of the gestation period for a baby in a mother’s womb. In this sense it is a protective rune, and assists us in acceptance of the unalterable, the seeking of shelter and patience while things blow over.
This brought me a great deal of comfort. The pattern of repeating themes in these runes is the reflection of the unfolding of that pattern, I think, a reminder that there is a purpose to this: Completion, being made whole again. Face the Shadow, welcome it back to you, and then resurface.

The fifth and final rune was Jera :yearrune: , again reinforcing the idea of a pattern, and another rejoinder that this is so I will once again be balanced, in harmony with myself. While this is well and good, I think I still have a long way to go to actually conquering my fears. This is only the first step, though, and I don't need to be in a rush. This is something that's going to take time, possibly weeks, but it's something I feel that I have to do.

I think tomorrow I'll focus on fear and see what comes up.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

Re: My Travels with Odin

Post by Heartsong »

Tonight, I performed a reading with a focus on fear, and came to some pretty significant conclusions, at least they were to me.

One of my greatest fears, period, is small spaces. I am intensely claustrophobic, to the point that even thinking too much about being in a car with the windows rolled up can cause anxiety. This was the fear that I concentrated on this evening, as I feel that it's rooted in a deeper, darker fear of death itself, and, considering the nature of this journey, I felt that it was important to face this particular demon head on, of only to prove to myself that I could look it in the eye.

The first rune I drew was Thurisaz :thornrune:, and I admit that I wasn't entirely surprised to see it crop up again. Indeed, for me, this was a further indication of the pattern that Hagalaz suggested last night. Right before I drew any runes, I allowed my mind to once again sink into a light meditative state, and this time, I made it a point to completely drop the mental wall I use to keep my fears under control. I opened myself up to it, and the first thing that came to mind for me was being trapped in a wooden coffin that was chained and subsequently dropped into the sea. At first, I fought hard with this image, picturing myself punching through the planks above me, fighting to breath as water poured in around me. I quickly understood that there was no way I could survive this burial at sea, and that old sensation of dread kicked up in the pit of my stomach.

I had to bring myself out for a few minutes to calm down after that. But it was in that moment that I came to a realization. Despite the implication of Thurisaz of a struggle, I had the thought that I wasn't fighting the right battle. Death is not a thing to control. It is a natural process that everyone has to go through. Intellectually, I know this as well as anyone, but emotionally, psychologically, I struggle with it. I am a person that has to feel in control of everything, be on top of everything. i feel like that if I'm not, my world goes to pieces. But during this exercise, I came to the conclusion that while can't control death, I can control myself, and how I react to it. Again, I know that for many people, this would be self-evident, but it was very empowering for me to center in that thought. By letting go of the illusion of control, I saw the first real glimpse of my Shadow, and I embraced it. It felt like a release, to be honest, which is partially the point of the Underworld journey, I believe.

The second rune I drew was Eihwaz :yewrune: , and in this reading, I felt that it indicated a revelation. I'm one step closer to gaining a small fragment of myself back from fear, and that much closer to Yggdrasil, and Odin. When I closed my eyes, with my fingers touching the rune, I could see the rainbow bridge in my mind's eye very clearly, with Asgard and the World Tree at the end. For me, it was yet another reassurance that the Underworld was going to be nothing like I expected, and everything that I needed. It was also a reminder to me that appearances are always deceptive, and to rely more on my intuition and less on my senses, especially in a realm that exists in the intangible.

The third rune I drew was Ing :ingrune: , the seedrune, and for me it, in part, symbolized the root of my claustrophobia. I am so afraid of being in enclosed spaces. Even lying on my back in mind makes me think of being in a coffin, buried, and I have to shift onto my side. This is a fear that is constantly meddling in my life, and it's really crippling, the more I think about it. I hate dunking my head underwater. I can't stand having covers thrown over my head. Hell, even turtlenecks give me the heebie jeebies. So when I drew this rune, I once again threw down my walls and looked hard at my fear of tight spaces, which was really a fear of burial, which in turn was really a fear of death. Ing is associated with the creative fire that drives us to accomplish goals we set in our lives. It is the period of silent, solitary gestation of the seed, in which the most important period of growth begins. The seed needs its time buried beneath the soil in order to grow strong and healthy, just as we need time to ourselves to regain our center and find our inspiration, our motivation. This is also a time of hidden activity, or passive activity, if you will. Simply by "be-ing", there beneath the cool earth, the seed is in reality completely changing, "becom-ing" something greater. Becoming complete.

I also related Ing to the concept of pushing boundaries. As the seed pushes through the earth, up towards the sunlight, it must remove itself from its comfortable plot. Thus, I think that being thrust out of my comfort zone by thinking about my fears, is not only necessary to achieving individuation, but also simply for the sake of my mental health. There are issues that I have to confront, and I have to push through a great deal of fear and trepidation in order to do so. But that will ultimately strengthen me.

The fourth rune was Raido :riderune: the riderune, or cartrune. Raido can be indicative of a literal journey as well as a metaphorical one. To me, Raido was indicative of a journey towards self-mastery. In other words, of re-gaining control of my life through my fears. By peeling back the layers until I hit bare bone, I feel like I was undergoing a ritual of self-knowing. Once again, I was faced with the reality that while I have little to no control over my circumstances, I do have complete control over myself, and the choices I make. I choose to let fear rule my actions, and thus am, ultimately the source of my own fear, because I let it rule me. Being constantly afraid of a future event, and possibly a traumatic past one, keeps me from living in the present, a concept that Raido is deeply tied to. I also felt that this was a reaffirmation of Odin's protective presence as I work through this journey. I'm not alone, and I don't have to be afraid. It's my choice.

The fifth and final rune was Kennaz , the torchrune. I've gained a bit of illumination through this reading, about myself, and about the true face of fear. I can hence turn that knowledge to my advantage, and work towards completely embracing this aspect of my Shadow. As my favorite rune site (Runesecrets) so aptly puts it, Kennaz is the "fearless forays into the darkness of the unknown". I have more work to do, but I think this was a pretty significant step in the right direction. Additionally, drawing Kennaz, which is associated with the search for deeper truths, made me stop and consider the question,

Just what is Odin learning from me?

As a god of scholars, poets, and warriors, the Allfather has many faces, and many roles. Equally, he possesses many secrets, and pursues knowledge with a nearly unrivaled passion. What does he hope to gain from me, when he sought me out, and encouraged me to descend? A question for another night, I think, because this was very draining for me. But's one I'm definitely going to be thinking about tomorrow.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

I've put off posting this last reading for a couple of days. I really needed them to catch my breath and collect my thoughts. This has been an intense experience for me, emotionally and mentally, so I kinda wanted to get in the right head space before I attempted another reading. That being said, here's how it went the other night.

I went at this reading with the question of what Odin may be getting out of this experience, specifically, from me, and what he intends for me through this. I'm not sure that much of what I got really pertained to that question, but it was certainly thought-provoking (which, I suppose, is part of the point, lol).

The first rune I drew was Gifu :giftrune: , the giftrune. Gifu, as Xiao Rong's amazing post suggests, is a rune that is about equal exchange. In order to receive a gift, one must give one. Thus, this is really a rune of sacrifice, and for me, that's what I really got. I had the impression that there is a need for me to not only relinquish some things in my life that are kinda toxic, but also that I needed to give of myself, not only to this journey, but I think too, to my chosen path. A dedication, if you will. In return, I receive a gift of knowledge (which I believe leads to freedom as well, from a lot of the things that weigh on my mind). So, this rune was also a reminder that this isn't going to be a walk in which I come out without some pieces missing. However, those pieces will be replaced with things that are much more positive and healthy. And I have to admit, I'm finding that to be the case. My last reading took a lot out of me, but I absolutely did feel better, about myself and about how I view my fears. Also, as the shape of Gifu indicates, this is a balanced exchange, and one that will also help me better keep balance in my life.

The second rune I drew was Ehwaz :horserune: , the horserune, and it was inverted. To me, Ehwaz's presence was a pretty large finger pointing at the fact that I really needed to stop doubting myself. My trust issues, with myself, and with others, has been a huge factor in the disharmony that's been going on in my life. And, naturally, as I was considering that, my mind went back to fear (seriously, I'm thinking changing the 'root of all evil' philosophy from money to fear, because that seems to be what it is for me). I need to trust my instincts, which is what honestly causes fear, but the thing about instinctual fear, is that it happens for a damn good reason, in my opinion. As humans, we are hardwired for survival, for life. When your guts telling you to bolt, you better believe that it's because your entire body just went on red alert for something it feels to be life-threatening. However, when that knee-jerk reaction starts to interfere with your ability to reason, to function everyday, then something has got to be out of whack, out of balance, because fear, in small doses, is healthy, I think. Overwhelming, freezing, wet your pants terror, on the other hand, is not. That's crippling, and harmful, in the long run. So, again, working on my relationship with that. :evilwitch:

The third rune I drew was Tiwaz :tyrrune: , the tyrrune. While I initially was thinking that this was another prompting for me to consider self-sacrifice, I started to get the impression that it was also a call for me to have faith. That, for me, is self-sacrifice. I don't trust myself easily, as you probably gathered above. I also really have a problem with reaching out to others for help. It just bugs me, and that likely has a lot to do with how I was raised. I think too, that Tiwaz is a reminder to stay calm, and let myself be guided. Don't try and bull my way through this, but still keep focused on the paths I'm being led down, if that makes sense. I need to find the right path to ascend, and to do that, I've got to let go of some baggage, so that I can climb back up. But I also need to consider what the right path is. Is it trust? Is it balance? Both? I think so.

The fourth rune I drew was Isa :icerune: , the icerune. Isa's presence was very straightforward to me, in that I felt there is a need for inner stillness. And in that stillness, like letting the ripples settle on the surface of a pond, I can see my reflection. That is where I have to focus, and that is where I'll find the right path. That is where my Underworld lies. Within. If I can let myself focus hard enough, and be strong enough in my willpower to look long and hard at the darker parts of my mind and heart, then I can start cleaning it out, making it brighter and lighter to carry. I can't separate myself entirely from fear, or from my tendency to mistrust. That defeats the purpose of the journey. It's coming to accept it, to be self-aware enough to know it for what it is (my Shadow), and being willing to let myself be buried in it for a while. Not an easy task, let me tell you!

The fifth rune I drew was Jera :yearrune: . Again with the cycles! I think the runes are really trying to hammer that point home. It's a normal, healthy cycle to move through the stages of death and life multiple times, I think (on more than just the physical level, I mean). I also think this was a call to recognize that, again, this isn't going to be an overnight change. It'll be gradual, but it'll be lasting. But, I still have to do the work! I can't just sit on my butt and expect the seed to grow. It needs tending, and it needs some pruning now and again when it gets some height on it. I wondered, too, if Jera's repetition is not in itself a cycle. It's come up every time, except for the last reading. Perhaps it's an indication that I ought to pay more attention to the natural rhythms of the world, and draw some encouragement from there. I think then that maybe I can start to gently manifest some of that change I need into my life.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

In the reading I did yesterday, I really tried to focus on my Shadow, to see what other aspects I needed to take a hard look at during this journey. I asked Odin and Kore for guidance before I started, and took some time to connect with their energies.

The first rune I drew was Ing :ingrune:, and I felt that drawing it again was a reminder that I needed to take time to be still, both physically and mentally, in order to even catch a glimpse. I think that Ing was also a warning that what I saw wasn't going to be easy to look at, much less immerse myself in. But that's partially what I needed to do, and as I lowered my mental walls again, I felt that I was in that coffin again, but this time, I had snakes for company (another huge fear for me). But, I kept calm, for as long as I could at any rate, and I felt better this time being inside the small space in my mind than I had the last time. I didn't fight it.

The second rune I drew was Dagaz :dayrune:, the dayrune. As I stated in this post, Dagaz can be interpreted as rune that represents paradoxical truths. For me, I felt that one such truth was that, while there were things in my past that I needed to let go of, I still needed to keep it in mind as I worked through the Underworld. Most, if not all, of my own personal issues (and fears) stem from events and people that are in my past. In order to move forward, it seems like I need an eye on both the road ahead and the road behind, i.e., a balanced perspective that is centered in the present. Another facet of this truth, as I perceived it, is that there is no Shadow, not really. My Shadow is me, and vice versa, therefore I am my own fear, which is something I figured out in the last couple of readings. Realizing that, acknowledging it, I think, is key to reconciling the two parts.

The third rune I drew was Perthro :gamerune:, the dicerune. I think Perthro's presence indicated that I have started to gain a little bit of knowledge about oorlong, and how my personal oorlong has shaped the strands around me in the Web of Wyrd. Thus, I really felt that Perthro was pointing to the pattern of my life, and how I have shaped my own fate, and hence, my own circumstances. Runesecrets.com points out this aspect of Perthro, stating,
Doom is the way in which the uncontrolled aspects of our self conspire in our destiny. It does not necessarily mean death.
By allowing my fears to reign, unchecked and uncontrolled, in my life, I have spun more threads tainted in that fear than those without. Since Perthro is a rune closely associated with the role of fate, it made sense to me that I've woven a pattern of fate (cause and effect) that has surrounded me and led me from paths that I may have explored if I had more self-mastery. However, I still have the opportunity to alter some of the threads, and shape a better fate in the future than I have for the present.

The fourth rune I drew was Jera :yearrune:, yet again! I think that this time it was indicating the pattern suggested by Perthro, as well as pointing out that I've created a cycle of fear and trepidation. However, this is a cycle that I have the power to break. A third impression I got was that Jera was intimately related to Dagaz in this reading, suggesting that these small bursts of illumination I get from my readings will lead to long-term understanding of myself, and how I can make changes that will lead to major improvements in my life.

The fifth rune I drew was Isa :icerune:, and in this rune, I came to a firmer conclusion that the source of much of my unhappiness and issues is me. I need to keep looking hard at myself, probing for understanding, and I think to also unbottle my emotions. I need to deal with them, try and find the root of them, before I can work through them, and eventually past them.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

I'm unsure about this particular reading. At the time, I felt that Odin was right behind me, at my shoulder, communicating with me through these runes. I haven't felt his presence this strongly in a while, but it was like he was whispering in my ear. There are things that he hints at that I'm just not sure about, or even if I'm understanding him correctly. He seems pretty insistent that I become a priestess, but...I have no idea how I'm supposed to go about that, much less if I want to dedicate my life in such a way. I feel like he wouldn't try to consume my life, not entirely, but then again, I think he would try. And it wouldn't even be out of anything other than a desire to have me close to him. I dunno, maybe it's an indication that I really need to spend more time in a spiritual mindset, and really bring that aspect of myself more fully into my life.

At any rate, on to the reading I performed today. I wanted to focus specifically on Odin and what he wants me to accomplish in this journey, which is probably why he was so close to me today with this reading.

The first rune I drew was Dagaz :dayrune:. When I was studying this rune, I felt the need to ask what I knew about myself, I mean really knew. That was when I felt Odin draw near, and tell me, "See what I see." He outlined two sides of me, one side which was quiet strength, knowledge, wisdom, and kindness/compassion. The other side he said was selfishness, fear, self-doubt, and a lack of control of my emotions in times of great stress. These two halves, he said, were the parts of me that needed to reconcile, that I needed to bring together. Use the light to draw the dark close. So, another small burst of illumination.

The second rune I drew was Algiz :elkrune:, the elkrune, inverted. My "eyes" need to be on the physical, he said, on the material plane. Mastery of my body, and my mind, would lead to spiritual understanding. He also indicated that there were some things I needed to sacrifice.

The third rune I drew was Gifu :giftrune:. From this rune, I got the impression that I would cross paths with someone who was an equal to me in some way, and that there would be an opportunity for an exchange (I think, of knowledge or information that will be beneficial to us both).

The fourth rune I drew was Jera :yearrune: (why am I not surprised?), and this time, the idea of repeated cycles led me to think of the fact that working with my Shadow is a continuous process. There are always going to be aspects of yourself that you'll be trying to work out, things that are too deeply embedded to ever fully gain control over, or even understand. But part of coming to peace with yourself, I think, is that you keep working with it. Acknowledge it, take a breath, and don't fight it. Call it for what it is, and don't shy away from it. On another note, I also think that Jera was a sign from Odin that he's always been a part of my life. In fact, I would even say that he's been a part of my lives, present in each of my past lives in one way or another, teaching me what I need to know. I don't want to say that I know for sure why, but I can't help but ask that question. Why?

The fifth rune I drew was Thurisaz :thornrune:. Through this rune, I got the impression that I was being told to "seek out the storm". I wondered if that meant Loki, or Thor, or perhaps other gods of the Norse pantheon that could also impart lessons to me. I'm not sure. [Edited to add: I just recently figured out that the storm was Odin himself.]

I've really got to think on this one. In my experience, Odin's being kinda cryptic, like he always is with me. I think he likes to watch me puzzle things out. If anyone reads this and would be willing to perform a reading for me about this, the questions, and about Odin in my life, I'd welcome the input. I feel like I'm a little too close to this to come to an impartial conclusion. :evilwitch:
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

I had to share this, because it honestly just tickled me. I've been working on cleaning out my house a bit, straightening things, just general tidying. Partially, because the house really, really needs it, and partially because I've had a feeling of being nudged by my house wight to just get off my butt and do it. He's tired of looking at all the clutter and hiding things to make me pay attention. So, anyway, I was grocery shopping today and I stopped in the produce section to pick out some fruits to leave for the land wights when I was literally stopped in front of the fruit stand.

And, as clear and loud as a church bell, I hear in my head, "BANANAS!!"

I couldn't help it, I started grinning like an idiot because 1) it was said so pitiful and petulantly and 2) all I could think of was those silly minions from Despicable Me screaming "bananas!"

Needless to say, there's now a bright yellow bunch sitting on my kitchen table in the offering bowl for him.

And because I couldn't stand it, here's the minions singing the Banana Song smiley_dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQvanCpC3Q
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone

Return to “Members' Personal Blogs”