A few questions about Anubis and Bastet

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Selena Silverlynx

A few questions about Anubis and Bastet

Post by Selena Silverlynx »

Hi!
I have a few questions about the goddess Bastet, (some people call her Bast) and the god Anubis. Here they are:

1. What does Bastet like? For an example, maybe she likes people burning incense as an offering for her.
2. If Bastet wants to make herself known to some person, does she send cats to that person? I have tread upon the paths of many cats...even though some ignore me and some don't.
3. Is Bastet a shape-shifter? I've seen statues of her with the head of a cat, and an other statue of her being all cat.
4. Same goes for Anubis. I've seen statues and drawings of him either with a jackal head or being all jackal.
5. Anubis is God of the Dead. Would he suit my Samhain altar?
6. Please do not think this is a selfish question. How do you make yourself ''known'' to Bastet? Like, being a priestess or worshipping her?

Don't feel pressured to answer all the questions, even if you answer one I'll be happy.

Selena Silverlynx
Why are black cats associated with witches?
Because black is an awesome colour, cats are awesome, and so are witches. People are actually linking awesomeness to awesomeness to awesomeness. ;)
AutumnMaidens

Re: A few questions about Anubis and Bastet

Post by AutumnMaidens »

1. Traditional offerings to Bastet were;

Small cat sculptures,
sweet liquids and foodstuffs
mint, catnip, honey, raw meat,
perfumes and ointments (especially in the "bas" jars which are a pun on Her name).

But I've heard of people nowadays leaving her things like cat-treats and bells and dollies made of yarn so feel free to be creative I would imagine.

2. I would keep in mind her symbolism when wondering whether or not she is speaking o you.
(Her major symbol, the sistrum, one of the Divine Eyes in the form of the Uraeus, or Serpent of Wisdom. According to the one version, she acquired this from her brother Horus.)
In art Images of Bast portray her with a sistrum (ancient Egyptian percussion instrument) in her right hand, and a small bag over her left arm, with figurines of kittens surrounding her feet.

Symbols: cat, lioness, sistra (especially later periods), Udjat-eye.

3. Bastet is a creature linked with transformation. She, like the Torc Allta, is neither animal, nor human, but caught somewhere in between. She was worshiped in ancient Egypt for her shape-shifting qualities, and like Hekate and the Morrigan, she is not one, but three beings—Mafdet, Sekhmet, and Menhit. She can be whichever being she wants to be whenever she wants.

4. Anubis was not a shape-shifter. He kept his usual form and roles pretty much the same throughout the span of ancient Egyptian mythology.

5.Anubis would certainly fit on your Samhain altar. He was also known as the one who guided the dead, and is that not what Samhain is about?

6. I wouldn't know of any specific rituals as the ancient Egyptians made themselves priestess under her name. I would suggest reading her myths, making yourself familiar with her and her stories and communing with her through meditation and prayer. On her festival day you can practice the things she held sacred (dancing, drinking, singing etc) all in her honour, and speak to her etc, she will show you the way. :)

Autumn
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Selena Silverlynx

AutumnMaidens wrote:1. Traditional offerings to Bastet were;

Small cat sculptures,
sweet liquids and foodstuffs
mint, catnip, honey, raw meat,
perfumes and ointments (especially in the "bas" jars which are a pun on Her name).

But I've heard of people nowadays leaving her things like cat-treats and bells and dollies made of yarn so feel free to be creative I would imagine.

2. I would keep in mind her symbolism when wondering whether or not she is speaking o you.
(Her major symbol, the sistrum, one of the Divine Eyes in the form of the Uraeus, or Serpent of Wisdom. According to the one version, she acquired this from her brother Horus.)
In art Images of Bast portray her with a sistrum (ancient Egyptian percussion instrument) in her right hand, and a small bag over her left arm, with figurines of kittens surrounding her feet.

Symbols: cat, lioness, sistra (especially later periods), Udjat-eye.

3. Bastet is a creature linked with transformation. She, like the Torc Allta, is neither animal, nor human, but caught somewhere in between. She was worshiped in ancient Egypt for her shape-shifting qualities, and like Hekate and the Morrigan, she is not one, but three beings—Mafdet, Sekhmet, and Menhit. She can be whichever being she wants to be whenever she wants.

4. Anubis was not a shape-shifter. He kept his usual form and roles pretty much the same throughout the span of ancient Egyptian mythology.

5.Anubis would certainly fit on your Samhain altar. He was also known as the one who guided the dead, and is that not what Samhain is about?

6. I wouldn't know of any specific rituals as the ancient Egyptians made themselves priestess under her name. I would suggest reading her myths, making yourself familiar with her and her stories and communing with her through meditation and prayer. On her festival day you can practice the things she held sacred (dancing, drinking, singing etc) all in her honour, and speak to her etc, she will show you the way. :)

Autumn
Thank you very much for your advice, Autumn. :)

Selena Silverlynx
Because black is an awesome colour, cats are awesome, and so are witches. People are actually linking awesomeness to awesomeness to awesomeness. ;)
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

1. What does Bastet like? For an example, maybe she likes people burning incense as an offering for her.
Bastet's name may or may not come from the Ancient Egyptian word for perfume, which then came in the form of a salve. She is said to appreciate cream perfumes and other fine scented things, as well as of course anything which benefits her sacred animal, cats.
2. If Bastet wants to make herself known to some person, does she send cats to that person? I have tread upon the paths of many cats...even though some ignore me and some don't.
I don't know, but it seems likely.
3. Is Bastet a shape-shifter? I've seen statues of her with the head of a cat, and an other statue of her being all cat.
This is traditional for Egyptian deities. I believe most if not all Egyptian deities are considered shapeshifters. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
4. Same goes for Anubis. I've seen statues and drawings of him either with a jackal head or being all jackal.
I'm not sure which this is the same as, so... For offerings to Anubis, donating to help preserve the extremely endangered species of the Ethiopian jackal or wolf or Pharaoh Hounds in need. He appreciates altars in your home or in cemeteries, beer, wine, or spirits. Judika Illes says to give him macabre,funeral- and death-themed toys and figures.
Yes. He is guardian of the door through which the deceased enter the hall of judgment, and leads the soul to the field of celestial offerings. He opens the path which allows spirits and humans to travel between realms, and can even act as a guide. If anyone could gelp you reach your dear departed loved ones, it would be Anubis.
6. Please do not think this is a selfish question. How do you make yourself ''known'' to Bastet? Like, being a priestess or worshipping her?
I would simply perform a ritual to her, incorporating your first offerings to her and the consecration of an altar to her (or a part of your altar to her). Thank her for what you believe she has done for you, let her know that you follow her. Pretty straightforward, and you can get creative.
Selena Silverlynx

vervain wrote:1. What does Bastet like? For an example, maybe she likes people burning incense as an offering for her.
Bastet's name may or may not come from the Ancient Egyptian word for perfume, which then came in the form of a salve. She is said to appreciate cream perfumes and other fine scented things, as well as of course anything which benefits her sacred animal, cats.
I don't know, but it seems likely.
This is traditional for Egyptian deities. I believe most if not all Egyptian deities are considered shapeshifters. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure which this is the same as, so... For offerings to Anubis, donating to help preserve the extremely endangered species of the Ethiopian jackal or wolf or Pharaoh Hounds in need. He appreciates altars in your home or in cemeteries, beer, wine, or spirits. Judika Illes says to give him macabre,funeral- and death-themed toys and figures.
Yes. He is guardian of the door through which the deceased enter the hall of judgment, and leads the soul to the field of celestial offerings. He opens the path which allows spirits and humans to travel between realms, and can even act as a guide. If anyone could gelp you reach your dear departed loved ones, it would be Anubis.
I would simply perform a ritual to her, incorporating your first offerings to her and the consecration of an altar to her (or a part of your altar to her). Thank her for what you believe she has done for you, let her know that you follow her. Pretty straightforward, and you can get creative.

Thank you very much, Vervain!

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”