REVIEW: The Cyber Spellbook: Magick in the Virtual World

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

REVIEW: The Cyber Spellbook: Magick in the Virtual World

Post by Xiao Rong »

The Cyber Spellbook: Magick in the Virtual World, by Sirona Knight and Patricia Telesco.
Published in 2002 by New Page Books

[Disclaimer: This review is solely my opinion. Comments, thoughts, and disagreements are welcome in the comments!]

About the Book

Oh my … Where to begin … I came across a bunch of witchcraft books for free, so I thought it would be fun to read this one. Glad I didn't pay money for it. In many ways this is a typical Witchcraft 101 book (information on the ethics, the gods, the Wheel of the Year, and of course, spells), but with a "cyber" twist. Keep in mind that the authors define "cyber" very loosely, to include not only the computer and the Internet, but also things like toasters, and even toilets. The reason why I was interested in it was because I am very curious about how to integrate the reality of technology in our lives with Witchcraft, which is (debatably) a throwback to "ancient" ways. This … was not the book.

The Good

Well, the authors did set out to try to "innovate" and "evolve" Witchcraft with the times, and … well, it's certainly innovative. I guess it was a good goal, just the execution was awful. I guess they had some basic information about Witchcraft for beginners but, really, there are so many other books that can do that too … (can you tell I hated this book?)

The Bad

Blegh, where do I even start? Okay, to be fair, it was published in 2002, so it's very dated (they still refer to floppy disks!). So I won't fault the book for changes that they couldn't have foreseen – although its outdated-ness is still certainly a drawback (and it's highly due for an update, though not from these authors … ) A lot of it was just too hokey to take seriously, like raising power to put energy into clicking the "send button" or whatever, or a spell to literally flush away negativity down the toilet ... also some things that are just downright weird – like the deity associations with modern technology (e.g. Zeus is a great "stock-market God").

By far my biggest beef with them is how little they take into account the environment, despite all of their elemental associations with Earth. They advise you, for example, to call in the spirits of Air in a circle by blasting the air conditioner (regardless of time of year!) or the spirits of Water by running your bathtub (whether you need it or not!) Just because you have appliances doesn't mean you should run them unnecessarily all the time just for the sake of doing a "cyber" spell …

The Verdict

Well, it was certainly good for a laugh! All the references to floppy desks and the hilarious misuse of the term "cyber" were pretty entertaining … But yeah – this is a great guide on how NOT to write a book on witchcraft …

0.25 out of 5 stars
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
m_apollo8239

Re: REVIEW: The Cyber Spellbook: Magick in the Virtual World

Post by m_apollo8239 »

this book sounds silly!
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Thanks for the laugh. :lol:
I've read Patricia Telesco's book "The Teen Book Of Shadows: Star Signs, Spells, Potions, and Powers," and I really liked it. I've been thinking about reading a couple of her other books such as "Your Book of Shadows: How to Write Your Own Magickal Spells" and "The Wiccan Web: Surfing the Magic on the Internet." At first I was a bit hesitant to still want to read them after your review, but then I reminded myself that we need the bad to truly appreciate the good.
I have heard of flushing negativity down the toilet and actually considered trying it once. I think if I had tried it at the time I intended, I probably would've wasted quite a bit of toilet paper because I was a pretty angry girl right then. I'm not the most eco-friendly person there is, but I wouldn't waste anything for my Craft, because that is NOT my Craft.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Well, I'm definitely the kind of person who likes to read, including the bad stuff too. You're right - it definitely makes me appreciate the good spellbooks out there! Now I kind of want to read the Wiccan Web book too, haha. We should both read and review it!!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Ooooh, dual review. I like that idea. :)

Return to “Book Reviews”