Stupid question from the newbie

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
lek

Stupid question from the newbie

Post by lek »

:lol:

ok, here it goes:

What's the difference---ideologically or otherwise---between a Wiccan, a witch and a pagan?

Isn't Wicca a form of paganism, along with witchcraft?

See? What'd I tell you about me asking stupid questions :lol:
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

Paganism is to Wicca as Christianity is to Catholisism

And you can be a wiccan and have the wiccan beliefs without being a witch, a witch is a practicianer of magick, and not all (most but not all) wiccans prtactice magick.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
lek

Post by lek »

Wolf wrote:Paganism is to Wicca as Christianity is to Catholisism

And you can be a wiccan and have the wiccan beliefs without being a witch, a witch is a practicianer of magick, and not all (most but not all) wiccans prtactice magick.
Ahhh...I see. Wicca is a denomination, or group within overall paganism. I figured as much...

And witches are wiccans who practice magic...(magick...never got that spelling) So how do nonmagickal wiccans practice their beliefs? I thought magick marked an important aspect of being wiccan...or is magick more of an 'advanced' level of wicca something more experienced wiccans work with?
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

Well, also, not all witches are wiccans. For instance, the voodoo people are not wiccans but are still "witches" in the sense that they practice magick
practice magic...(magick...never got that spelling)
Most simply use it to distinguish it from stage magic, you know, smoke and mirrors, etc.... Then just becomes a habit after being used enough. lol
I thought magick marked an important aspect of being wiccan...or is magick more of an 'advanced' level of wicca something more experienced wiccans work with?
Thats hard to say, I suppose it depends on your point of view. So I'll just leave this to another person to answer.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
lek

Post by lek »

Ahh...I'm getting it now I think. At least the diff in spelling and the meanings behind each magick and magic. Thanks for the insight Wolf. I guess I'll see if anyone here can shed some thoughts on that other question.

I suppose it could be rephrased.....does being wicca go hand in hand with practicing magick eventually? I'm not even certain what kind of magick we're talking about it....is this stuff instantaneous? Or is it more like prayers where you say a spell and then basically hope for the best?
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I don't think ALL Wiccans practice magick, simply because there are many people, like me, who don't feel the need to do spells because they figure life works out for the best without them. But I'm not Wiccan either, though I do consider myself a witch. I do think most Wiccans would consider themselves to be witches, whether or not they actually do spells on a regular basis, simply because they CAN do spells if they want to.

A witch is anyone who practices magic(k). (I spell it both ways, depending on the mood I suppose, but usually with just a "c".) A Wiccan is someone who follows the Wiccan religion, which is a recognized religion (by the U.S. govt.) Some people say that witchcraft is a recognized religion, but I think only Wicca is official. Witchcraft is not a religion at all, it's just the practice of doing magick. Just because you pray doesn't make you a Christian, right? A pagan is a person who believes in an earth-based religion and usually the Goddess as well as multiple gods/goddesses (monotheistic). The Bible definition of "pagan" is basically anyone who isn't Christian, so I consider myself pagan in that sense more than in the technical sense. My beliefs are really more New Age than pagan. I'm like a New Age Witch. lol. That's got to be the fluffiest thing anyone could say on a pagan fourm. haha. I can get away with it since I own the fourm, lol. I don't recommend telling people you are a New Age pagan. Other pagans won't like it. But New Agers will accept any sort of mixed-up belief system. They are much more mature in their thinking than many witches or Wiccans you might run across on the web, particularly new witches. I hope that clears things up for you, even though you have to wade through my ramblings to understand it.

lek

Post by lek »

Sorry for the late reply .

I waded through quite well, actually you explained that pretty well. Practicing magick does not make you Wiccan, and true, praying does not specifically make you Christain, unless your prayers are too Jesus/God.

So, are spells open calls to general deities then? Or are there specific spells for specific deities?

Also, you mentioned you're not Wiccan, so this may not be something you would know, but you spoke of "following the Wiccan religion" If spells are not a given in Wicca, then what other beliefs incorporate this religion? From what I'm getting the answer to that seems very diverse depending on the individual.

Thanks for the reply again, some good info! :)
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Hi Lek,

Yes, some spells are written to certain Gods/Goddesses and some are written in general to anyone listening, like you said. I personally believe that you make spells work with the power of your mind and energy. I do not think Gods and Goddesses have anything to do with it, though I do believe that Spirit Guides can help. Most Wiccans do believe in Gods and Goddesses though and they pray and do spells to them.

Here is a link that will give you more info about Paganism/Wicca/Witchcraft and maybe explain things more clearly:

http://www.geocities.com/lavenderwater3 ... ations.htm

lek

Post by lek »

Awesome site , thank you very much. I browsed it now and picked up some interesting definitions, I'll read it more thoroughly after my BBQ. :)

Return to “For Everyone”