Voodoo

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
raynelae

Voodoo

Post by raynelae »

Does anyone know some good websites about Voodoo? :) thank you! :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
spiritual_gemini

Re: Voodoo

Post by spiritual_gemini »

positive voodoo or negative voodoo?
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Positive! :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
Aura_Guru

Post by Aura_Guru »

There is no such thing as "positive: or "negative" voodoo.Voodoo is religion.The loa families you're working with determine the results.And there is such a thing as a bokor too.You can find some information here I suppose:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/voodoo.htm
StarWolf

Post by StarWolf »

There are few nice hoodoo and voodoo sites, and someone has already give nyou one :)
I just want to edit one thing: You can also read few good books about voodoo, you can search them in amzon or spellsofmagic.com
Here are few recommended ones:
Complete Book of Voodoo By Robert Pelton
Tropical Spells Hoodoos & Voodoos
Voodoo and Hoodoo
Voodoo Handbook of Cult Secrets
Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook by denise Alvarado&Doktor snake

Have fun!
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

Thank you :)
StarWolf

Post by StarWolf »

Anytime :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I've heard that Voodoo is a religion that requires initiation of some sort to actually practice. I'm not 100% sure about that though.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Lucky Mojo sells stuff but they also have a forum and lists of books. They are the sort of go do site for anything voodoo.
random417

Post by random417 »

@ loona, kind of... what you have to remember is that the full possesion of the priest is part of the experience. The Lwa have a way of finding you when you've done enough to need initiated. If you are open to the encounter, it can come from just about anywhere, and seem to be a minor thing. It's the Lwa that initiate, not the houngan, so astral or dream initiation is valid. Now, mind you, I would hardly call myself a walker of that particular path, but there are a few Lwa that I remember, so I could be wrong.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

This is a very old thread, but for everyone else - Are we talking about Haitian vodou, Louisiana voodoo, or voudon?

Important to make that distinction for yourselves as they all differ. Not many would actually use the term 'voodoo'. - it's kind of a pop culture caricature.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:This is a very old thread, but for everyone else - Are we talking about Haitian vodou, Louisiana voodoo, or voudon?

Important to make that distinction for yourselves as they all differ. Not many would actually use the term 'voodoo'. - it's kind of a pop culture caricature.
Then you also have the other regional religions that developed from the same stand point. I believe there is a religion and practice in Brazil that is traced to the same origins/time/culture concepts. I think there are also a couple of other Caribbean and Central American religions that follow along those same lines. The slave trade was rather large and encompassed a rather large area of placements due to plantation owners and the like being scattered in those areas. So it makes sense that there are other derivatives around the Central America and Caribbean Islands.

I personally am interested not necessarily in practicing or becoming a member of the Voodoo religions but am interested in learning about them. Like what their deities and spirits are, the holidays and festivals they celebrate, what some of their concepts for ritual are, and much more. I understand that some of that lore may not be available to those who don't practice the religion or aren't apart of those cultures. That doesn't mean I can't still have a desire to learn about it.

Knowing that they are all distinct seperate traditions I don't know which one I'd start with. I'd probably start with New Orleans or Hatian Vodoo.

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”