What are you going to grow this year?

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
presentcharisma

What are you going to grow this year?

Post by presentcharisma »

Now, obviously in wisconsin its going to be a while before I can plant anything but I am TOO excited about my garden and have planned out what I will grow this year. Last year was my first veggie garden and I had a lot of success. The size was like 16"x16" This year I am making my husband till up a MUUUCh bigger space. Probably 4x or 6x what I did last year.

I had some things last year that I decided not to grow this coming year.:
Patti pans- The plants were just too big for the small # of patti pans I got.
Kohlarabi - My family didn't like them and I felt like I was forcing them to eat it all the time
Gold beets- They just didn't work. I got gold beet greens but no "fruit."
Ground Cherries- They came as a freebie with my seed order. I tried them, they were cool in salsa to add a sweetness, but I didn't love them enough to grow them again.

I will * items that I never grew before in case someone has pointers based on experience with this perticular plant
My Plan-
* Potato - I plan to grow a lot of these
* onions- I grew shallots last year and figured it can't be too different
* asparagus- I am an addict and need my own supply!! LOL I read that it takes a few years to establish but once it is established it will grow like a weed! I hope that's the case!

*brussel sprouts- YUM
- Garlic
Shallots
Tomato
zuchinni
raddishes
* green pepper - my family is begging me to grow these
*watermelon (same as above)
Turnips - I loved thse last year and had great success with them.
Beets _the ones last year were super sweet and awesome!
Carrots
*spinach
Rudabega
Sugar snap pease - These were soo good to eat right out of the garden
*butternut squash
Green beans
*lettuce (my husband grew this years ago and I didn't like slugs on the leaves all the time.. but I am willing to give it another try.
*Red cabbage - I got some at the farmers market last year and pickled some the old german way. It is amazing!!

What are you going ot grow this year?? Any pointers on my * items??
I AM
presentcharisma

Re: What are you going to grow this year?

Post by presentcharisma »

Oh, I forgot my herb garden!
Last year I planted :
Peppermint, chocolate mint, parsley, sage, basil, thyme, chamomile.

THis year I am going to add Rosemary (i hope this works.. any pointers?) oregeno, and another variety of basil (like lemon basil)
I AM
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

This year,I'm hoping to grow some starter herbs. I will also probably help my mom plant some roses :)
Happy gardening :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
Tornadofire-Sylva

Post by Tornadofire-Sylva »

Once I get tge space, I plan to plant Basil, Lemon Balm, Catnip, St. Johns wort, Thyme,Parsley, Spearmint, Peppermint, and Pineapple Sage. I have all of these, and will be cultivating them in a certain shape. My spearmint goes bamboo crazy if left alone. Ilove all of these, and I am trying to get my hands on some more. I love herbal healing!
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” -Winston Churchill
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

I ended up planting sage, rosemary, and lavender. My lavender is in bloom and it smells so great!!
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
Skyleaf

Post by Skyleaf »

Yes, this is an old thread, but no harm in resurrecting it.

We had a cold spring here, so fruit tree flowers got blasted, and I had to delay putting out plants by several weeks. Although it's June, I still don't have roses, raspberries, or pea pods. Just yesterday I harvested my very first lettuce and spinach.

I've got snow peas, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and tomatoes planted out, and I have some containers of zucchini, cantaloupe, and watermelon ready to plant. I had the hold a lot of the tomatoes back because it was too cold to plant them, and they drooped and turned yellow until all there was left was a stem. One surprise was my sage, which overwintered, and then greened up this spring.

I have a peach tree that I've gotten peaches from, but the late freeze killed all the blossoms, so this will not be a peach year.

So what's in your garden?

Return to “Gardening”