Explaining to one's family.

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Plicket

Explaining to one's family.

Post by Plicket »

Hello, all!
Before I ask my question, let me give a bit of background. My mother is a fairly devout Southern Baptist, and I was raised that way. We've had issues for years, culminating in my telling her I wasn't a Christian and moving out. I'm currently living with my boyfriend and his family while not at school (they are wonderful, and constantly tell me how much they enjoy having me here. I'm so worried about mooching!) My mother and I have resolved most of our issues, and have a wonderful (if still slightly awkward) relationship where we can respect each other as adults and human beings. I'm doing my best to incorporate her into my new life, as is she (she's since re-married, moved, and now has 4 stepchildren!)
I would love to tell her about the path I've found myself on, and how happy I've been since I "figured myself out" spiritually, but I'm not sure if it's the wisest idea. On the one hand, I feel like she would be happy for me - she knows I'm not Christian, and would be glad to see me following a spiritual path. On the other ... I don't know how she'll take it. And I really would prefer not to destroy the relationship we've both worked so hard at rebuilding.
Any advice from those that have experienced similar?
Love and Thanks,
Plicket
Symandinome
Banned Member

Re: Explaining to one's family.

Post by Symandinome »

thats a really tough question to answer. Only you know your mom and her personality so you are the one that can best decide what is right for this situation. I personally am one for the truth and people will either accept me or they wont and if they dont thats their problem not mine but there is a big difference I am an adult and you though as grown as you are are still a minor. Id suggest that if you decide to tell her be sure you are going to be able to answer any questions she might have and dispell any false truths she may be predisposed to believe like its satanism or the work of the devil. Know your relgious paths historical origins prior to christiantiy so that you can have something to respond to those allegations with.

Good Luck

Return to “For Everyone”