When to buy...?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
magus

When to buy...?

Post by magus »

Ok, so, I heard that you have to be given your first set of Tarot Cards and I was wondering if this is true? According to the friend I heard it from, there's more power in the cards when they are a gift.

Thanks,
Magus smiley_dance
You know they're all the same
You know you're doing better on your own so don't buy in
Live right now
Just be yourself
It doesn't matter if that's good enough for someone else
~Jimmy Eat World
witchmoon21

Re: When to buy...?

Post by witchmoon21 »

Umm a deck of cards from another mage would have some history and specific energy alright but what if you live in a city where there is none near you to give you the gift? Or if you really want to begin learning?
I say go tarot hunting in stores and amazon;)
Maybe later on in your life you will meet a fellow witch, and she/he will give you a gift like that:)
presentcharisma

Post by presentcharisma »

not everyone who has the gift of reading tarot, is surrounded by people who do too. (or even understand it) I can see how it could have meaning, but the pictures that PULL you are the ones that you should choose to read (imho)
I AM
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

The vast majority of us buy our tarot decks at the bookstore or occult store and you should too. You'll probably be waiting a long time if you're hoping someone else will give you a deck. It's a good question you asked though. I'm sure a lot of people hear the same thing that you did about tarot decks.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Having them given to you adds power, but buying them yourself doesn't make them any less better than having them given to you.
magus

Post by magus »

Thanks for all the feedback. :) Much appreciated. Now, I have another question. :p Which is the best to buy? I mean there are so many. I was at Barnes & Noble the other day and I came across the Tarot Cards and there were so many. They had different names, different pictures, it was really confusing. I understand that the cards pick you but there were so many calling out, I was just standing there thinking, "Oh my Goddess." Anyone have advice for that?
Live right now
Just be yourself
~Jimmy Eat World
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

My advice is to pick up and feel their energy. Some cards will even 'call' to you. How to know if they are calling to you: You keep going back to that deck, no matter which other ones there are. If they don't call to you, find one that appeals to you. Images that you like, especially. Images that you like usually help you give better readings.

Its also good to have a large variety like that. It definitely helps the process of finding the perfect deck.
presentcharisma

Post by presentcharisma »

I agree with raven, look at the cards and feel the deck, the one that you are drawn too is the one you should get. Nothing deeper than that.
I AM
magus

Post by magus »

Ok, thanks a lot. :D
Live right now
Just be yourself
~Jimmy Eat World
Zili

Post by Zili »

I have now had 3 decks of cards, oracle, wisdom, and tarot. all three i bought myself. the first two decks left me when I had not used them for a long time (i am sure they are somewhere in my room but they love to run away. My actual tarot deck hasn't left, and allows me to use her for both myself and others (the other two decks were different the oracle would never give me a reading for myself.)

I don't believe it would have made a difference if they were a gift, actually considering most people in my life the deck would have been touched by lots of negative energy. so its best that I did buy my own.
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

I had a friend spot me some money at a festival to buy mine. And Raven is right, the deck you should get is the one that you can feel like it's calling to you.
The Goddess is like the moon itself, guiding us in our darkest moments.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Buying tarot and divination decks can be addictive. The art on them are so pretty. The first one I bought, which is the only one I actually use, was "The Instant Tarot Reader" by Monte Farber and Amy Zerner. It comes with a book that makes it easy to find the interpretations of the cards. The art is pretty too.

There are websites that offer descriptions and photos of a ton of different tarot decks, and tell you whether they come with a book or not.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/

When you see a tarot reader in the movies, she's usually using the Rider-Waite deck, which has the plainest art in my opinion. It was one of the first popular tarot decks, so witches seem to think more highly of it.

But if I were you, I'd just buy the one that you think has the prettiest art and a book that tells you the meanings of the cards.

I really like this Goddess deck here...

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/goddess-guidance/ (to buy the oracle shown below)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I bought the Necronomicon Tarot last year. Not because I'm into dark stuff, but because the art was so pretty and has a lot of ghosts on it. I gifted it to my forum manager after having it a couple years and not using it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I actually used to have that Goddess Oracle. You should get the Goddess Tarot deck :D I loved that one!
magus

Post by magus »

I finally got a deck, its the Archangel Oracle deck. AMAZING! Love it :)
Live right now
Just be yourself
~Jimmy Eat World
magus

Post by magus »

Image Image Image Just a few images for your viewing pleasure. :wink: