Just read Gardner

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
john85uk

Just read Gardner

Post by john85uk »

Hi guys,

Just finished The Meaning of Witchcraft by Gerald Gardner. Was very interesting. Maybe a tiny bit repetitive. What do you guys think of him? He mentions Margaret Murray quite a lot. Is she worth a read? I'm quite interested in the history of paganism especially in the UK. I ordered Witchcraft Today also but that hasn't arrived which is quite annoying. I'm fairly new to witchcraft so if anyone knows any other books I might like that would be great. x
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Re: Just read Gardner

Post by JuniperBerry »

Gardner was greatly influenced by Murray, who was later discredited. You can read her works, but keep in mind that her scholarship isn't very good.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Asch

Post by Asch »

Murray, Hutton and most of the 'original' Wicca scholars have been shown to have spurious academic skills/credentials. Always take the information with a grain of salt.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
john85uk

Post by john85uk »

Thanks guys. I always take everything I read with a pinch of salt. It was a good book though.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”