Why are all pagan/Wiccan book covers so ominous!?

Talk about anything you want to here.
love beats all (;

Why are all pagan/Wiccan book covers so ominous!?

Post by love beats all (; »

So, I'm at B&N the other day and was looking at pagan/Wiccan books. I only recently have come out to my mother who took it quite well and was gonna ask her if I could get a pagan book to break the after-come-out ice. I soon found that this COULDN'T happen at this bookstore. EVERY single pagan/Wiccan book there had an über scary/goth/ominous cover! I can't possibly take a satanic-looking book up to my Christian mother and expect her to even think about buying it! The only non-scary covers I found accented the pages of a Fluffy $ilverwolf book! Yeah, I wanted to break the ice but there's no way in hell I'm gonna give a penny to buy a piece of her Charmed fanfiction! (There's nothing wrong with the show but she sells it as religion) This, I hope, isn't the case in all bookstores. So, if any pagan authors/publishers are reading this, PLEASE refrain from ominous, gothic covers so that normal teens like me can actually buy these books with their parents. Thank you.
Asch

Re: Why are all pagan/Wiccan book covers so ominous!?

Post by Asch »

Ann Moura's books are focused on Green Witchcraft and tend to have leaves etc on their covers, anything by Konstantinos is going to be gothic and scary. Lewellyns almanacs etc aren't too bad on the covers.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Also, Scott Cunningham's books have beautiful covers. You shouldn't buy Silver Ravenwolf. Any Wiccan or Witch worth his/her salt will tell you that she is the WORST of Wiccan authors.

Even Shadowx will tell you, and he's neither Witch nor Wiccan.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

Speak of the devil :D

She really is bad though... I read 2 and a half of her books when i was a fluffy and thinking about them makes me want to projectile vomit!

The reason most covers are goth and dark is because new age teens and wiccans tend to be attention wh***s! Not all of course but most.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

lol - I've not actually noticed this, most of mine have patterny type covers or boring covers
what I do for some of my hard back books though - especially if the cover is really 'loud' or childish - is remove the dust jackets
I admit I'm a perfectionist when it comes to bright colors messing up my room :D
xx
FenrisComesForth

Post by FenrisComesForth »

my books on the nothern religion have classical art or beautiful scenery or symbols represting the asatru. my book of myths for example has a classic victorian age painting of a Valkyrie wielding a sword and shield

I've not really seen an ominious book on asatru which I find quite ironic.
Asch

Post by Asch »

It occurs to me that if you or your mom consider the pentagram to be evil or ominous then there might be quite a few books with less than savory covers :)
love beats all (;

Post by love beats all (; »

All your guys' comments made me laugh and think lol. I think my bookstore's targeted demographic are, to quote shadow, "attention wh**es". I've actually been trying to search for an all-cycle Celtic mythology book, which I figure, when I find one, will probably have beautiful Celtic knots. (= Yeah, $ilvers the worst.. My friend was about to buy one of her books online once and I gave her a full-out hate speech xD It's not the pentagrams that I find ominous per se...only the ones that are made out of rusted metal, tinted in blood red, and have "Wicca" written in an equally ominous fashion in size 500 font lol.

~Brightest wishes!
Asch

Post by Asch »

love beats all (; wrote: It's not the pentagrams that I find ominous per se...only the ones that are made out of rusted metal, tinted in blood red, and have "Wicca" written in an equally ominous fashion in size 500 font lol.
Ha ha sounds like Konstantinos and Silver Ravenwolf. IDK about Konstantinos he espouses a 'dark' wicca/witchcraft that has more to do with literal darkness and nighttime but his covers and schtick remind me quite abit of Silver. Silver is aaaaaawful. Fluffy fodder for sure.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Thats "Guide for The Solitary Practicioner by Silver" XD
My friend bought that book! I felt so bad for him! I looked it over and there was nothing useful in it!
Asch

Post by Asch »

Poor thing. I've skimmed her 'work' in the past and just bleched over it. It's like a weird mix of Marion Zimmer Bradly / Charmed fanfic and baaaad advice (not to bash Marion Zimmer Bradley or Charmed I adore Bradley and Charmed was okay).
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I agree with that, Asch. Like its some fairy tale or something.

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”