great book for begginers

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Aubrey Rose5

great book for begginers

Post by Aubrey Rose5 »

hey if you are a begginer at wicca you should read scott cunningham's book called wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner it was a really great book and gives you so much information and includes an authors book of shadows
love is not made by magick it comes only from the heart
Lady Valkyrie

Re: great book for begginers

Post by Lady Valkyrie »

WiCcAngIrL92 wrote:hey if you are a begginer at wicca you should read scott cunningham's book called wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner it was a really great book and gives you so much information and includes an authors book of shadows
Indeed all of Cunningham's books are great and easy reads for beginners. I have just about every book Cunningham has written. They are dog eared from not only me using them but my 11 year old daughter.

I would like to say however, if one is beginning in Wicca, why not start out by reading the books written by the man who popularized Wicca? I often suggest to beginners to read Gerald Gardner's books "Witchcraft Today" and "The Meaning of Witchcraft."

I also always tell beginners never to interchage the terms Wicca and Witchcraft. Wicca is a religion under the umbrella of Paganism. Wicca embraces the practice of Witchcraft. No all Pagans are Wiccans. Not all Witches are Wiccans.
Midnight-x-

Post by Midnight-x- »

can u get these books from just normal book shops??
Leo*Moon

Post by Leo*Moon »

Sure, I got most of my books from Barnes and Noble and Booksmith.
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. ~Shakespeare
Aubrey Rose5

yeah

Post by Aubrey Rose5 »

i have a local BORDERS shop which is a book shop spread all over the usa thats where i get all my books its in the metaphysical section i think
love is not made by magick it comes only from the heart
wiccan_butterfly

Post by wiccan_butterfly »

i usually just go to my atlantic book store, or when im in salisbury, i got to Barnes and Noble
Tianta

Re: great book for begginers

Post by Tianta »

Aubrey Rose wrote:hey if you are a begginer at wicca you should read scott cunningham's book called wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner it was a really great book and gives you so much information and includes an authors book of shadows
I have and LOVE this book, it's very helpful. I really like Cunningham's works and want to collect them all....
wiccan_butterfly

well i have heard of this book before, but arent most of his books pretty expensive, and im quite sure most people are tight on cash, so how can we get this great beginner book everyones so recommending about? just a question, not to sound harsh or what not. and has anyone found any good books, but at a good price?
elizabeth0126

Post by elizabeth0126 »

there is a used book store here that i go to. i got both wicca and living wicca by scott cunningham for less than 6 bucks.
Blessed Be!
Live, Love, and Laugh
~~elizabeth0126~~
wiccan_butterfly

elizabeth0126 wrote:there is a used book store here that i go to. i got both wicca and living wicca by scott cunningham for less than 6 bucks.
jeese i wish we had one of them here.
Lark

Post by Lark »

wiccan_butterfly wrote:well i have heard of this book before, but arent most of his books pretty expensive, and im quite sure most people are tight on cash, so how can we get this great beginner book everyones so recommending about? just a question, not to sound harsh or what not. and has anyone found any good books, but at a good price?
If you look for books at amazon.com there is an option to buy used books. You can often find copies of books quite inexpensively that way.

-Lark-
Smolly

Post by Smolly »

im more into witchcraft myself than wicca and ive heard of his name over and over again, so i think ill get one of his books just because, it'll never do any harm and it might make me more knowledgable.
Shadow_Kitten

Post by Shadow_Kitten »

I LOVE this book! I've read most of Scott Cunningham's works. I don't agree with a lot of his ideas (such as his standing stones) but it's interesting to read. I'm a wiccan, pagan & witch.

This was the very first book I read when I first became interested in Wicca. It's very informative, it gives you all the basic information you need to know & gives you the general idea of Wicca. Since reading this book, I've used other books, websites, people, articles etc to build on what he taught me. I reccommend this book to everyone interested in Wicca it is GREAT!!!

Lucy Cavendish's book is great too!
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

Have not read that particular Cunningham book, but I'm sure I will. I adore his book "Earth Power". I think he is very good at explaining things and putting them into words.

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”